Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

How do you disassociate everyday activities with drink?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

My drinking habbit is somthing I do when I'm watching TV, on the internet or playing video games. I used alcohol to "enhance" the experience of normal things basically.

How can I do these things sober and not feel something is missing?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank with everything....and I drank for years.

You probably will feel like something is missing, or feel a little uncomfortable - for a little while...but it's not forever & we do readjust

Vary your routine...keep busy...try and stay active.
Use the support you have.

Not sure what your situation is, but volunteering was good for me - really got me out of the house and out of my own head, y'know?

D
Old 03-05-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

I am 114 days today and I had the same problem. I drank when I watched tv, when I sat outside, when I came in from work, everything. And for the first few months I had to change all of that because they were all BIG TRIGGERS!

I started going to meetings, first of all. If you are not going to meetings - START GOING TO MEETINGS! (NOT SCREAMING, JUST MAKING A POINT).

2nd, you will need to make changes in your routine until you are strong enough to ease back into your regular routine without alcohol. I stayed in my bedroom in the evenings and read and slept. I could not be around the triggers!

3rd. Drop ALL of the "People Places and Things" connected with your drinking. They are BIG TRIGGERS. They will pull you right back into the addiction.

4th. If you need to, get clinical help. This sickness will kill us if we do not take it seriously! You are a much better person than to allow alcohol to ruin your life, your reputation and your character.

Remember, everyone see's us for what we are and who we have become. Ask yourself, "Am I happy with who they see"?

God Bless.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Sobritishty View Post
How can I do these things sober and not feel something is missing?
I got to a point where I drank with or without triggers. It was at that point that I realized I needed a whole new way of life. Basically I started leading a principle driven life. That is, one where I let principles be my guide. Before making any decision, I asked myself "What principle should I be following here?"

The first 3 principles were;

1. Got honest with myself.
2. Became open to other peoples suggestions.
3. Became willing to follow directions.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

A drink was attached to my hand or within my reach. It took a little time, but water works for me today!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I, too, drank all the time with all activities except at work. So, just doing the everyday things without drinking rewrites the script for me. I, too, find that keeping any NA beverage handy helps. I change them constantly to keep from getting bored. When I get to jonesin' I'll drink one of the mixers I used to cut my vodka. Undiluted juice is it's own high.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

By living sober we are adding to the experiences instead of taking away the alcohol. Little things are more rewarding.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I guess I disassociated everyday activities from drink in one fell swoop, by disassociating alcohol from me. Alcohol can be found almost everywhere, and I didn't want it to be a hit or miss thing, so I yanked it up by the root.