An end to suffering...

Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

An end to suffering...

For me, recovery is an end to suffering in my sobriety, found in fundamental Buddhist (Therevada) philosophy/psychology, same thing really? Expressly in ,'The Four Noble Truths', which have much to say on the subject, suffering, cause of, cessation, enlightenment, which simply put consists of being good to others and good to yourself! Enhanced by ,'The Eightfold Noble Path'.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
For me, recovery is an end to suffering...
I have found that when I am spiritually fit, nothing disturbs me enough that I feel like I am suffering. My spiritual fitness comes from practicing spiritual principles in all my affairs.

Unlike the 8 fold path, I have pruned my principles down to 3 fundamental tenants; humility, benevolence and detachment. There may be hundreds of principles in man's realm but there are only 3 fundamental principles in the spiritual realm. All others are ancillary principles.

"In this life - pain is inevitable - suffering is optional."
Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Boleo, Can you expound on the detachment?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Boleo, Can you expound on the detachment?
Meister Eckhart said Detachment is the highest of all virtues, the most noble of virtues and the only pure virtue. Even Love is not pure if you need a reason to Love.

Spiritual Detachment looks the same as psychological detachment (stoicism) to an outside observer. However, Spiritual Detachment is providing the effort to be helpful but stepping back from the results so as to detach from the outcome.

In other words we plant our seeds and then wait patiently for the fruits of our labor. All expectations, good and bad, are seeds for resentment. Neither success or failure is ours to pocket.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Boleo; Thank you. I needed that reminder today almost desparately. Your words may have completely changed my day around.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Attachments/Detachments?

Keeping it simple. Buddhist philosophy suggests we should avoid atttachments, especiallyto those people, things and organisations that would harm us, for example. Tha antidote tothis of course is to, wherever possible detach from them.

This is more on a practical level and can be practiced in our everyday existence.

On a spiritual level, it can be practiced by developing the three great spiritual qualities of compassion, patience and tolerance. Not forgetting that ,'fierce compassion' is always available to be addressed to those people or things and organisations, that disturb us, see,'The Tibetan Book of the Dead'.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
On a spiritual level, it can be practiced by developing the three great spiritual qualities of compassion, patience and tolerance. Not forgetting that ,'fierce compassion' is always available to be addressed to those people or things and organisations, that disturb us, see,'The Tibetan Book of the Dead'.
On a spiritual level, it can be summed up:

"This to shall pass".
Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I haven't quite followed...

I haven'tquite followed your reasoning, but hey! if it works for you, go to it!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I am the cause of my suffering. I am also the cause to end my suffering.

Its all on me, I have no mythological babysitter to hold my hand and pull me trough the troubles that are of my own making. Nor would I want to.
“I am responsible for my life — for all my suffering, for my pain, for all that has happened to me and is happening to me — I have chosen it this way; these are the seeds that I sowed and now I am reaping the crop; I am responsible”
-Osho
So then for me, recovery is responsibility, I chose to drug - I can not be removed from my choices. As I can not be a bystander for that will relive me from my choices. If I am the cause (responsible) of my illness then I am the relief by being responsible for my liberation.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Redmayne

If it works for you....

If it works for you, GREAT!!!!!

Little to much , 'I Me Mine' for me, but there you go, you take care....