Dual Addiction

Old 05-15-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Dual Addiction

Hello Everyone.

I am new to this site but not new to AA. I am very active in our Fellowship and am seeking some insight in starting a Dual Addiction meeting. We have approximately 50 meetings a week, to include Al-Anon, CODA, and ACOA, and in the process of obtaining credentials for an Ala-Teen meeting.

We attempted to have an NA meeting several years ago but it was not successful. Some people have strong feelings about only AA issues being addressed. There are others who are open to possibly having an NA meeting on the premises.

My thought is to address the issue as a Dual Addiction meeting -- NOT a Dual Diagnosis meeting. I would appreciate any input that you have to offer as well as directing me to any literature on the subject. So far, I have not been able to locate any information on this subject.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....

I too am an AA recovered alcoholic have not found it necessary to begin any meetings.

From what yoou posted...I think checking into how to get NA started again would be the way to go.
NA is very receptive to alcoholics and all sobstance abusers.

I know my AA home group started and re started our womens meetings 3 times before it clicked.
Best of luck
I know this is not what you inquired about..but perhaps interesting info...

http://draonline.org/dra_q_and_a.html

Last edited by CarolD; 05-16-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I once heard a guy with a lot of time say, "I'm in so many 12 step programs I'm surprised I only have two parents".

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what you mean... Do you mean having one program where you talk about two addictions -- like alcohol and food -- together?

It's been my experience that people who go to Debtors Anonymous only want to talk about money. One made a reference to "that beverage program", lol. And food people only want to talk about food.

However, the 12 Steps seem to work for all addictions, at least in my experience.