Cross Addictions

Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Cross Addictions

I have been attending 12-Steps groups off-and-on for 14 years, but what I need ... indeed, what I believe this area needs ... is a 12-Step Group for Cross-Addictions. There are many of us who need Al-Anon, CoDA, OA, et al. who cannot make that many meetings in one week. Also, at 12 Step Meetings, it is suggested not to talk about other 12-Step groups. I.E., people at Al-Anon cannot talk about OA, etc.

Can you please steer me in the right direction? What materials would I need? I'd like the Cross-Addictions Group to meet 2x a week; one would be a Step/Traditions Meeting; the other would be a Discussion Meeting.
Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I live in Cumberland County (NJ) and, except for AA Groups, 12-step groups are limited here.

thanks,
diane

Last edited by DreamBeliever13; 02-05-2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: colors
Old 02-05-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Diane,

Here is a link that might help.

Questions and Answers about DRA
Old 02-06-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Diane, It is not uncommon to need more than one support program because a relative or friend has multiple issues. In terms of Al-Anon, I have found that alcoholism or problem drinking goes with everything--drugs, sex addiction, gambling, eating too much, eating too little, overspending. So, it is hard to go to all of those meetings due to work and home lives. Once I got the focus on myself instead of the drinker, I was able to fit in a lot more things that I needed to do for myself like attending Al-Anon!

You are in luck with Al-Anon. There are on-line and telephone meetings. that can supplement your attendance of face to face meetings. So, e-mail [email protected] for a list of meetings and contact information.

I hope this helps you.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if everyone knows what a cross addiction is. It would be like quitting drinking but you start smoking or go from smoking a half a pack to two packs. Or quitting drugs or alcohol yet becoming a sex addict. It is trading one addiction for another. It usually comes from people who have addictive personalities, meaning they can become addicted to almost anything if left up to their own devices. Something you start doing excessively to compensate for the addiction you gave up. I have a better definition in my office. I have 7 years of recovery and I am an Addictions Therapist.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cool

Well, I may not have 7 years in recovery, and I may not be an addiction therapist......although, I do have a number of 24's in recovery, and I have, in the past, worked in the addiction/recovery/therapy/treatment fields.....Yes, many alcoholics/addicts become addicted to many things; they have addictive personalities, but these are not cross-addicted. My definition for cross-addicted, and the definition used by most folks I know in the field, is as follows...............:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cross-Addiction

Cross addiction is the presence of two or more substance dependencies. Cross addictions are very common and can usually be treated simultaneously. Many cross addicted patients have developed their dependencies in an effort to deal with their primary addiction. Some of the more common cross addictions that are developed from dealing with a primary addiction are;
Alcoholic individuals using benzodiazepines to function normally when they are in situations where alcohol use would be inappropriate or unacceptable.
Cocaine addicted individuals using benzodiazepines or alcohol to help reduce the symptoms of cocaine withdrawal when cocaine is not obtainable or use in not practical.
Opiate addicted individuals using benzodiazepines or alcohol to help reduce the cravings associated with opiate withdrawal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just thought I'd add this so folks here can choose..... (o:

NoelleR
For these patients, cross addiction is a direct result of “self-medicating” to mask or avoid the withdrawal symptoms developed from their primary addiction.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting post.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Addiction is addiction is addiction is addiction is addiction!!!!!
The core of this disease is self obsession. This disease turns us away from dependence on the God of our understanding to a self centered lifestyle. As we progress in this way of life, the disease of addiction progresses in us. To say that one program is different from another is somewhat inaccurate. We, who have been through the hell of active addiction, find true freedom in a spiritual program of recovery that has, as its foundation, Twelve Steps AND Twelve Traditions. Many of us have found that it impedes our process of restoration when we focus on differences rather than similarities. Selective thinking and controlling our own lives left us feeling lost & alone. When we ask for help from those who have found a new way of living, we make progress. Being in service to others helps us to strengthen our recovery.
If you have never used, then perhaps a special support group is for you. My question is if you have never used, why would you seek out a 12 Step/12 Tradition meeting in the first place? What really disturbs me is that you say, '"Also, at 12 Step Meetings, it is suggested not to talk about other 12-Step groups. I.E., people at Al-Anon cannot talk about OA, etc."' We do not encourage people to promote any other fellowship while attending our meeting, but we do not restrict what our members chose to share about their problems and how we can help.
i hope and pray you find the help you need that God has already made available to you. Keep sharing and keep coming back!