Movies about Addiction/Recovery

Old 05-04-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Midnight Run was a great movie. Never want to go abroad and do drugs for sure.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Midnight Express was the title you were thinking wasn't it??

Had to rack my brain movie had me riveted to my seat being in a Turkish prison is no place to be
Old 05-05-2008, 10:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wow, don't miss "You Kill Me" with Tea Leaoni, Ben Kingsly and Luke Wilson. Kingsly is a hit-man, who is sent to AA.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't think this one has been mentioned yet -

Less than Zero with Robert Downey Jr.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Cool

Bein' an oldster, I was just gonna put in a couple I remember from a while back, but in reading the previous posts, I didn't see one of my 'recent' favorites so here's my three then..........:

1) Sid and Nancy (1986).....about British punk rocker Sid Vicious and his American girlfriend Nancy Spungen; brilliantly (as some have said) portrayed by Gary Oldman and Chloe Webb, respectively;

2) The Lost Weekend (1945).....yes this is an oldie boys 'n girls, but it definitely is a goodun.....very sad watching the lead character (Ray Milland) throwing awaying everything [family (wife: Jane Wyman), his sanity] ..... all for booze, AND a Lost Weekend.....;

3) The Days of Wine and Roses (1962).....Jack Lemmon (PR guy who DRINKS) meets lovely secretary, Lee Remick.....she's NEVER had alcohol, but she LOVES chocolate, so he offers her a Brandy Alexander (honest, you'll love it...and love it she does....!), and they're both off to ........... @^&*%*%^%$#$ (to hell and back, perhaps?....well, let's hope so).

I just watched The Days of Wine and Roses on TV this past weekend. Funny, but I didn't remember it being as sad and depressing.....guess I'm just gettin' older..... (o:

Well, happy watchin' y'all.....

NoelleR
Old 05-12-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

"Once were warriors" was filmed in New Zealand, so is definately in English. Amazing depiction of family violence and how children are affected by an alcoholic father. It also shows the mother and how she picks up the peices. Its amazing, don't miss it.

Also if you enjoy reading, and like the occassional "chick lit" as they're known, Try Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes. Amazing story of addiction and recovery.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Have we seen a person fail...

The absolute best reminder for me is The Unforgiven, by Clint Eastwood. I've watched it many times and it reminds me of what will happen to me, if I choose to pick up a drink, even 18 years into recovery....

:uzi2:
Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Gertie...Watch Smoke Signals...you'll LOVE that one too!
Old 05-16-2008, 03:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

peaceful warrior
Old 06-22-2008, 12:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Great flicks

I live in New Zealand where the film 'Once were warriors' was made. There was also a sequel called 'What becomes of the broken hearted.'

Nearly everyone in NZ knows someone who is part of the kind of family 'One were warriors' portrays. Someone told me that orginally the script (for the film) was written fom the Dad's (Jack Heke) point of view but because he doesn't really change it was a poor script so they scrapped it and rewrote it from the Wife's (Beth Heke) point of view.
I'd like to say that the film changed domestic violence but it didn't.

I REALLY like that film Clean and Sober because it is so crazy and that's what it is like when you first get sober. When I think of the guy driving round trying to figure out what to do, after his bosses daughter is found half dead in his bed, and he's like think, think and then the add for the treatment centre comes on the radio. It's just f**ken brilliant in a lightbulb moment kinda way.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Barfly
Traffic
The Rose
Bright Lights Big City
Old 06-22-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
sct

Not specifically recovery... but I believe that if you look, you can find recovery in anything.

Pursuit of Happyness- has a great message of doing whatever it takes to improve your life, and persevering even when it looks like success is impossible.

Kung Fu Panda - (Yes I know-- bear with me) The central message of this movie, is accepting things you cannot change, and turning your liabilities into assets.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conez View Post
Hi all...

I was just curious if anyone has seen any good movies about alcoholism/addiction and/or Recovery... just looking to find a handful of good flicks to watch that depict any aspect related to this issue. (anything that falls into any term in the recovery glossary thread)

i'm hoping it may give light to some of my related difficulties, as reading stories in the bigbook and going to AA meetings has done.

I'm sure i've seen some movies in the past about some rockstar or family that suffers thru addiction.... and somewhere in there, is a feel good message.

My memory is so poor... i was just hoping the SR community maybe able to offer some helpful movies.

Thanks

p.s, i'm not talkin about movies that embelish drug/alcohol use... ie, how high, half baked, friday, cocktail, etc
It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but the tv documentary Intervention is on two or three times a week with different addictions portrayed in real life. It covers the consequences of eating disorders, gambling, crack, cocaine,heroin and alcohol. It shows sufferers in withdrawal, in jail and mothers in hysterics as they are cuffed and stuffed in the patrol car while their children are removed by child services. It interviews the parents/spouses/siblings etc who are affected by the addict's behavior. It is on A&E usually on Sun. and Mon. evenings, depending on where you live and who your satellite provider is. Every episode is a terrible reminder of where we have been and will be again if we continue to use. You can pull uptheir website A&E Television Network and TV Shows and find out more about it. If you tape some of the episodes, you can create your own "library of sobriety" to turn to in weak moments. God Bless.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Watch "Candy" with Heath Ledger. One of his last before he died. Turned out he knew a few things about opiate addiction in real life, unfortunately. I love this movie, really awful portrayal of what heroin use and w/d will do to you.
kj
Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yeah, Candy is good. Sad though. Even sadder were I to watch it again.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Back behind bars.

Thumbs up

If I can throw a TV series into the mix, how about "Rescue Me" on the FX Channel. An excellently written and acted series, IMO, about NY Firefighters post 9/11. I am newly sober, but I have always related to Dennis Leary's character as he struggles to stay sober while the rest of his life is, well, challenging. Several other characters stuggle with alcohol as well.

Netflix is showing 6 seasons available on DVDs. That'll keep ya busy for a while.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Back behind bars.

I just noticed NetFlix also has at least a couple "Communities" focusing on alcoholism and addictions, but I couldn't find a good way to link to them.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Back behind bars.

Here's a movie I've never heard of, but stumbled upon today. Maybe "stumbled" isn't the best choice of words.

16 Years of Alcohol (2003)

IMDB entry:
16 Years of Alcohol (2003)
Old 07-23-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK LOL it's been 20 years since I saw it, but how is My Left Foot about addiction and or recovery?

s'ok I've just been reminded Christy liked a drink or ten....

LOL

D
Old 07-25-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Completely off topic but it is about a movie so I felt I had to share. When a Man Loves a Woman is my favorite movie. But it is for now what I see as disturbing reasons. When A Man Loves a Woman came out in 1994. I was 14 years old. I knew as soon as I saw that Movie, that that was going to be my life.

I knew that I was going to be Meg Ryan. I envied her. That she was an alcoholic but she had a wonderful husband who was patient and it all worked out in the end. I was convinced at 14 before I knew of my true disease that I was going to marry a man that was going to save me from what I was to become...

It is still my favorite movie and ironically I have probably had about 50 people throughout my life tell me I look like Meg Ryan (freaky)