Raise Your Expectations

Old 03-22-2007, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Raise Your Expectations

It can be tempting to lower your expectations when things are not going your way. Yet the most realistic response is not to lower your expectations, but in fact to raise them higher.

It may seem that lowering your expectations so they're more in line with your reality would protect you from disappointment. Yet lowering your expectations is sure to bring on even more disappointment.

If you're disappointed with the results you're getting, it's not because your expectations are too high. It's because those expectations are not high enough to pull you forward.

Raise your expectations to the point where they become so meaningful and compelling that you cannot help but fulfill them. Choose those expectations that will drive you in each moment to do what must be done to reach them.

When the going gets rough, the answer is not to give up on your dreams. The answer is to grab on to those dreams, and to put them front and center in your life.

Set your expectations high, connect solidly and consistently with them, and those expectations will give a positive, effective direction to your life. Expect the very best, and let those expectations drive you to live out your most cherished dreams.

-- Ralph Marston

Copyright ©2007 Ralph S. Marston, Jr.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you Ann.

So often these postings are exactly what I need, and this one was a perfect fit for me today.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I don't know about that one.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I had to hesitate on that reading also, Garry. As a codie in recovery, I have learned that expectations can lead to disappointment, but I think that happens when I expect something of someone else. Expectations for myself are a little different, and if I do the work required they may be the inspiration I need sometimes.

Nevertheless, the word "expectation" is not one I embrace. I don't write 'em, I just post 'em.

Hugs
Old 03-23-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I hear you Ann...

The problem, for me, is that any expectation can open the door to disappointment if I'm not realistic about what I expect. There will also be times when my expectations can be firmly rooted in reality and I'll still have an unfavorable outcome...that's just life on it's own terms. So if I set my expectations high on a fantasy, the resulting low can be more devastating than if I had kept my expectations within reason.

One of the things that works for me is to just do the footwork and leave the result up to my HP. I think we all should have goals and dreams, but wisdom to know the difference (between what I can or cannot do) comes with time, trial and error. I don't care too much for the word "expectation" either...sounds too controlling. I have to remember I'm powerless over many things.

Be blessed,

G