Notices

Addiction Street

Old 02-13-2006, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction Street

The more I read here the more I can't help but see the universality of addiction street. The road we all walk on. And I wonder why? Why is it that we all walk this same path? If it is indead the same path. And what is the commonality, the roadsign, that brought us here. Are our choices in taking this path individual in nature or do they share some collectivity? Where are the roots of addiction buried?

If I had to dig them up, I would think to find them in 2 common and universal grounds of humankind; Our search for happiness and our avoidance of suffering.

Today, I will begin to redefine happiness and embrace suffering.

(Wow, My head is getting clearer!!!!!!!!)
Old 02-13-2006, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Our search for happiness and our avoidance of suffering.

I couldn't have said it any better.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's different reasoning for everyone I think. Some people follow through that there's a genetic link in addiction that is heraditary (sp?), while some think it's through some traumatic experience within our first 2 yrs of life (when we learn the most), or anything after that. Some think they just had a little too much fun and took it overboard accidentally. I can see a pattern of addiction in my life from around the age of 8. There is nothing concrete on this I don't think but addiction IS definately a disease, from where it stems is where I start getting fluttered. I think it all depends on how much accountability you would like to take for your addiction.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

, free2see. The American Medical Association classifies it as a disease and, from personal experience, so do I. There are lots of opinions on both sides of this particular fence, though. My intention is not to get stuck on the hows and whys (which I can do all too easily since I tend to live in my head), but to focus on the SOLUTION.

The universality of addiction brings me to those myriad of things we all have in common. And that is wonderful ground to work from, IMO.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Disease or not...it's a fact of life that it exists. All that really matters is the addicted one recogizes it and gets help. And that we are there, when and if they decide to get help, to add every bit of support and help there is to give.