Notices

wellbutrin`

Old 05-21-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

wellbutrin`

I have been doing some research here and other places, and I have had seen some people that have had some success with wellbutrin in regards to urges and stuff like that.

To be a drug addict, I have like absolutely no pill / doctor experience whatsoever. None lol. I don't know the first thing about trying to get this stuff. Can i not buy it online? Do I have to go setup a doctor's appointment?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hey, trappeshot.

Don't self medicate with SSRI type medications. When I had depression and anxiety, SSRI's made me so much worse, even with a doc prescribing them it took over a year to get OFF of them. They were the worst medication I could have used for my condition.

One of the adverse reactions that can occur with any SSRI or other type of antidepressant is a paradoxical reaction and all of them have a risk of suicidal ideation. They really are not to be messed with on your own. Wellbutrin came into fame as an antismoking (tobacco) medication, with some measure of success. Still, however, with the suicidal ideation problem in some people. Bad idea on your own.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ummm, yeah. I took Wellbutrin for several years and it did wonders for my depression - but I'd never self-medicate. That's serious trouble. You should definitely go through a doctor for that. Always.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

I can't speak for everyone, but I will speak for myself.

I used Welbutrin as a drug in college (to study, to stay awake and to try to get high), and then a couple of years later I used it as prescribed by a well-intentioned psychiatrist -- actually, two psychiatrists with additional therapy from a third shrink. Unfortunately, not only did I feel like I wanted to die, but I started to feel like I was going insane. It didn't do anything memorable to quell my addiction to either drugs or cigarettes -- I kept drinking, popping pills, smoking pot and burning cigs as if it were my job. That was the year I moved onto smoking heroin. My Welbutrin addiction treatment experiment: Fail.

I most identify with what the Grey Book says on this one:

"We knew we needed help, but had nowhere to go. Most of us explored different alternatives. Doctors didn't understand our dilemma. Usually they helped our disease by giving us prescriptions. Our husbands, wives and loved ones gave us anything in hopes that we would stop using. We tried substituting one drug for another and this only created a vicious cycle. We tried limiting our usage to "social" amounts, but our success with this was short-lived or non-existent."

Total abstinence and the steps have provided me with the only solution that has worked. I've been completely clean/sober for 2 years (and cigarette/nicotine-free for a year and a half). It has taken patience and a willingness to work the program, but while I still have to work to keep growing, today I can tell you that I am not depressed, I don't suffer from anxiety and I haven't slept this well since before I started my career as an addict/drunk. I've come to believe that, at least in myself, untreated addiction/alcoholism looks like depression/anxiety/insomnia, etc.. Is this a miracle? I think so. The only thing is that I've seen the same miracle happen with others too. We do recover.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have done very well on Wellbutrin. Started it last June and have been on it since. I will have a year clean next month. I think that drug helped me.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I mean who do I contact? Just any doctor? I am that clueless
Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Find a doctor that has experince with addiction. Call a few local treatment centers and ask them for a reference. Also, you may look into Zoloft. I think it's a little better suited for a recovering addict/alcoholic. Don't quote me on that though... Good luck and keep up the good work.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would speak to an actual shrink and not just a regular doctor.

It's not one I would take knowing I am an addict now. I did take it after having gastric bypass because it was one of the only anti'd's that didn't have weight gain as a side effect. It caused some manic behavior that I never want to revisit ever again.

When I did take it I did not identify myself as an addict as I was not abusing anything at the time, that came later.

That is MY experience with the medication.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Contact your health insurance company if you have one; they may have rules about what they will cover as well as info about which doctor's (that they work with) specialize in what.