Notices

Can one quit cocaine cold turkey??

Old 06-02-2005, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can one quit cocaine cold turkey??

My boyfriend uses coke. I've confronted him on more than several occasions and he continues to lie and use and lie. He said he's not a "heavy" user and that I just don't understand because I've never used before. He said he can go cold turkey and be fine. I still notice the runny, bloody nose but he excuses it as his sinus "cleaning and clearing" itself out. He even accuses me of manufacturing problems to start arguments with him. He fiercely defends the "friend" who sells him the coke. When I mention going to meetings and reading postings on this site, he deliberately stays late at work to avoid it.

It pains me tremendously to see him continuing to make such bad choices and moving on this path of self-destruction. I sense myself slowly pulling away from him because it just hurts too much to have the knowledge that he's destroying his life and I'm completely powerless to help. On one hand, I don't want to give up on him. If I was in his situation, I'd hope that someone would be patience and exhaust every possible effort to reach out to me instead of just giving up and walking away. However, I think that I cannot help pull someone up if he insists on staying in the hole and not making the appropriate effort to climb up.

I've resolved to break off the relationship, but my bf is trying to hold on to it. He said what I've talked to him about is making an impact, he looked sad and lost when he said this, but my gut tells me it's just another way to manipulate me by pulling at my heartstring. I've learned the difference between helping and enabling. Helping is doing things for someone who cannot do them for themselves, and enabling is doing things that they are capable of doing for themselves. As long as he has this relationship to fall on, he's going to continue using. As much as I hate to have him wake up when he's hit rock bottom, there is nothing more I can do at this point.

My question (I apologize for taking so long to ask) is if everyone who has in the past dealt with cocaine addiction or is in a relationship with someone who uses it, can the person just quit?? I spent 3 years doing undergraduate research on addiction and have personally created addiction in animal model. I've watched them use til they just die. I highly doubt that he can quit just like that - cold turkey. I could be wrong because a lot can be said about will power.

Please help. Any advice and/or suggestion from you will be greatly appreciated. I'm so grateful that I've found this site. I don't feel so alone now.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Welcome to SR,
grayhorizon!!

Ask yourself this: could someone quit cocaine by weaning or tapering off? What did your research tell you? Doubtful, right? Cocaine has no serious or life-threatening withdrawal symptoms. It just sucks to come off it. But cold turkey is probably the only way to stop.

The problem is once one has gone through the acute detox phase, then what? How does one keep from using all over again? The answer for me has been NA meetings and having a Program. But the Program is for those that WANT it. Your boyfriend has to want recovery for himself.

And you need to take care of you. I highly recommend involvement in a support group such as Nar-Anon or Al-Anon. They can teach you to keep the focus on yourself. I wish you both the very best recovery has to offer!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-03-2005, 02:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my opinion,cold turkey is the only way to quit Cocaine.I did it.The withdraw is not physical.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah cold turkey, the withdrawal is in the mind.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think NAR-ANON is a really good starting point for you, grayhorizon. Frmo what I know with coke cold turkey is the only way - but do you see how much yuo have got to WANT it to go through with the discomfort...your BF does not sound as if he wants it. Partners of addicts take on SO MUCH - you need to look after YOURSELF...you might want to post this in the NAR-ANON forum too there are some wonderful people there in the same situation as you, and many of them have found a great peace...andare putting themselves first...and not feeling guilty about ... as they shouldn't!
Cathy31
x
Old 06-03-2005, 04:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((GH))))

I am in a relationship with someone who smokes crack. I have done everything and also nothing to try and help him. I have found that setting my own boundries and doing what it takes to keep me sane is the way to go. Naranon and alanon have helped me to take charge of my life and to take care of me. I have found that the more I focus on him the less he has to and the more out of control we both get...
Old 06-03-2005, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your support. I am going to focus on healing the hurt that has taken its toll on me since I learned of his addiction. He said he is going to quit but it can't be overnight. He has said this on daily basis and I have not seen any active effort to do so. He actually bought some on 5/31.
I've asked him to hand it over to me so I can flush it like the last time I found the stash. The lies rear their ugly heads when this was mentioned so I am done. I've been so busy trying to find ways to help him that I've neglected myself and got him to forget how and what it is to help himself. Cannot do it anymore. It's a new day and I am going to leave him to his own devices. He has made it clear that he'd rather have coke and his dealer friend than to go forward clean and sober with me.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, GH! And good for you! But keep in touch with us anyway, OK?
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-03-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

I had a brief fling with cocaine. About a year worth, but boy I used it plenty in that time. I quit it cold turkey. It really was tough for about a week. In all honesty I did smoke more weed during that time. Replacing one with the other. Oh well, that’s how I always did it.
I can safely say that I quit it on my own. As any addict will tell you, until their ready to quit there isn't much anyone can do.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
old enough to know BETTER!!!!!

I want to echo what everyone has stated ..... that you can quit coke cold turkey; and you can, ideally. However, the w/d is just horrendous. BUT, in having said that, however, it's better to suffer from the w/d (again, very tough) ..... because cocaine is not a drug that *I THINK* you can taper off of ..... there is no *let's have just a little bit* ....... your body will ache and yearn for more and more. Then, the more you get, the more you want ..... it's an awful addiction that not only sucks the life outta of ya eventually, but your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Don't know if I've helped.

GOOD LUCK!

M
Old 06-03-2005, 01:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Once again, thank you for all your reply postings. I have a two-folds question pertaining to the withdrawal symptoms. Some people say that there aren't any physical withdrawal, only a psychological craving that needs to be dealt with, and some people have mentioned that the w/d is terrible. What are the symptoms if any? and can drinking plenty of green tea and water help flush the toxin out of the system?
Old 06-03-2005, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by grayhorizon
What are the symptoms if any? and can drinking plenty of green tea and water help flush the toxin out of the system?
Someone else can answer your first question better than I, but as far as I know, the symptoms are the CRASH. Stuff like DEPRESSION, sleeping, irritability, just generally feeling AWFUL. Others can tell you more.

The answer to your second question is unfortunately no. The body metabolizes cocaine at a certain rate and we can't control that, so it's just a matter of waiting for the stuff to be removed by the body's own natural processes.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-03-2005, 03:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, Eddie Z.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome so much, GH!! LOL.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-03-2005, 06:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cocaine uses up all the seratonin in your brain. It takes days, even weeks to replace the seratonin levels in the brain. That's why the crash is so painful.

I wish it was as easy as green tea flushes. Actually anyone coming down off coke should avoid all caffeine. Tension Tamer teas, valerian root teas are a couple of things that made me feel better. Beware that if he still drinks alcohol his consumption of that poison could suddenly sky rocket!

Please take care of yourself first!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hello,

i came off coke, all by myself, cold turkey. the worst was the paranoia. (its been a year and i still am a paranoid wreck!) trying to sleep was awful, i was teary a lot of the time and very depressed. its still hard now.

BUT, things that helped me were keeping busy. days doing nothing absolutly drove (still do) me insane. keeping active, around the house, garden whatever. i have also avoided alllllll pubs and clubs since. going to a pub is alright i suppose, now, in the daytime, but i cant cope yet at going clubbing at night. it wouldnt be the same, and i wouldnt enjoy it. too many memories....

if you stay with him, i commend you, but let him talk about it. my "better" half has the attitude that because i dont do it now, its over its in the past. and thats wrong. i feel anyway.

tell him to ring a na helpline, they are really helpful. and nice, ive been ringing and they are so so so good. totally understand everything.

infinate
x
Old 06-08-2005, 10:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Hey, infinate! Good to see you getting around the boards! How are you doing?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-08-2005, 05:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My girlfriend had physical withdrawals when her brother tried to keep her away from it. She would basically start shaking and acting crazy. I guess it just depends on the amount that is used and the person on whether it will be mental and/or a physical withdrawal.

Unfortunately for her she got to the point of attacking her stepdad and the police baker acting her.
This stopped her coke use but sadly it just made her get addicted to xanax instead.

I guess my advice would be to be careful of him replacing one thing with another.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

GOOD FOR YOU BE STRONG, I agree with Eddie Z on this one, my prayers will be with you both.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
No expectations!

gray horizon??

-ez