Notices

rehab movies

Old 04-02-2005, 08:31 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Wow, this thread as gone nuts since I posted it. I think its great! My life has taken a real downward spiral in the last week but that is a topic for another thread. ON the upside, Hubby and I just watched Memento for the first time. What an excellent, intriguing, mind bending movie. It has nothing to do with rehab or recovery but it will have you thinking and talking for days.

Be well all,
Necile
Old 04-06-2005, 03:38 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I saw Memento a couple years ago.Trippy movie.I watched I Heart Huckabees last night.By far the stupidist movie i have ever seen.I would rather watch paint dry.They had to be on acid when they did this one.I was convinced there was nothing I could hate more when I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but,I was wrong.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:18 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Okay now Mikey...I loved Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! I simply loved it! So - it's okay if we have different tastes, eh - we have a huge audience here and that's cool.

I've been so busy working on getting my forum going hence I haven't had a lot of time to review movies. I did watch Open Range and Freaky Friday (the new one.) Open Range - I like Robert Duvall but I got bored with it as I wanted to work on my forum probably but my bf watched it and he said even though it started slow - he ended up enjoying it and told me I should watch it again and give it a shot. Freaky Friday was mildly entertaining. He fell asleep during that one - he has a problem with the whole Freaky Friday plot being done and redone ad infinitum, ya know? There was another movie like that with twins trading places that was done and redone. Does anyone remember the name of that one?

Okay, back to the 'B's and not B Movies. hehe.

Being John Malcovich is on my 5Star list. I liked it because it was an off-the-wall type of movie. I tend to like strange movies. Here is a plot summary:
Take a hallucinogenic trip minus the drugs but with all the fun. Puppeteer Craig Schwartz (John Cusack) discovers a door that's in fact a portal into actor John Malkovich's brain. For 15 minutes, Schwartz experiences the ultimate head trip: He's John Malkovich! More wacky adventure ensues when Schwartz plans to sell trips into Malkovich's brain for $200 a pop. Not your average comedy! Hey what an interesting summary...take a hallucinogenic trip minus the drugs. hehe.

I have a movie on my list from 1979. My dad told me about it. Trying to watch it in the modern day - it is kind of slow. Still, it was a great movie. It stars the late Peter Sellers and Shirely McClaine. Now I wouldn't have thought I'd like an old movie like that, much less one with those actors but this is really a good movie - if all for one moment in time. Being There
Comic wunderkind Peter Sellers stars as an illiterate gardener mistaken for a brilliant pundit well versed on everything from nature's inexorable cycles to the exigencies of modern politics. Adapted for the screen by Jerzy Kosinski from his short story, Being There is a droll essay on American life. Melvyn Douglas won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar as an aging kingmaker who befriends Sellers. Oh check it out...adapted for the screen by Jerzy Kosinski from his short story - I didn't even know that. I read a book by him called Pinball something many years ago and then heard in the media that he committed suicide. Well, still - good movie. I tried to show it someone, though who found it to be extremely boring...yet it was someone who didn't like any of the movies I ever liked anyway.

Ok well I need to run some errands but maybe we can resume our discussions. Have a great morning!

Theresa
Old 04-06-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Maria Full of Grace, not sure if you guys have mentioned it here in this thread or not. But wow, talk about a sad movie. It was reality, it happens everyday and just made my heart so sad.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:32 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Theresa A.
There was another movie like that with twins trading places that was done and redone. Does anyone remember the name of that one?
That would be The Parent Trap from 1961 with Brian Keith and they did a re-make Parent Trap 1998 with Dennis Quaid and Lindsay Lohan.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:05 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

A few of my 5 Star Movies

A Bronx Tale An evocative slice-of-life film. A Bronx boy (Lillo Brancato) grows to adulthood worshipping disparate heroes: his hardworking father (Robert De Niro), who drives a city bus, and the neighborhood mob boss (Chazz Palminteri), who becomes a kind of surrogate dad. Adapted from Palminteri's funny and touching play, A Bronx Tale marks De Niro's directorial debut and is a great showcase for everyone involved. Good Fellas Murderers often come with smiles -- and problems of their own. Joe Pesci and Robert De Niro chew plenty of scenery, but the real focus of director Martin Scorsese's mob opus is Ray Liotta as real-world Irish-Italian mobster Henry Hill, a gangster who dreamed of making it to the top but landed in the witness protection program instead. Nominated for six Oscars (including Best Picture), the film's only win was Pesci's Best Supporting Actor statue. Heat Two driven professionals -- an illustrious detective (Al Pacino) and a sophisticated thief (Robert De Niro) -- draw ever closer to an inevitable showdown on Los Angeles' mean streets. Brilliantly directed by Michael Mann, Heat is a hyperkinetic tale that blurs the lines between good and evil. The all-star cast includes Val Kilmer, Tom Sizemore and Jon Voight. Includes a commentary by Mann and three trailers. Once Upon A Time In America Director Sergio Leone's sprawling crime epic about a quintet of Jewish mobsters from New York who rise in the ranks of organized crime in the 1920s -- based on the novel The Hoods by Larry Greyis -- the last film he directed. James Woods, Elizabeth McGovern and Robert De Niro (who plays the group's clever ringleader, Noodles) star. This film spans two discs; both discs will be shipped to you simultaneously. The Score This heist film has enough volatile chemistry on hand to fuel another Manhattan Project! Robert De Niro, Marlon Brando and Ed Norton star as a safecracker, a fence and an aspiring thief, respectively, who team up for a score that could put them all on easy street for life -- or in stir for the same stretch. Directed by former muppeteer Frank Oz. Tombstone Legendary marshal Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell), now a weary gunfighter, joins his brothers Morgan (Bill Paxton) and Virgil (Sam Elliott) as they pursue their fortune in the thriving mining town of Tombstone. But Earp is forced to again don a badge and get help from his notorious pal Doc Holliday (Val Kilmer) when a gang of renegade brigands and rustlers - headed by Ike Clanton (Stephen Lang) -- begins terrorizing the town. Braveheart Combine the pathos of Mad Max with the epic battle scenes and machismo of Gladiator, and you'll get a sense of Braveheart's power. Mel Gibson directed and stars in the full-throttle telling of the story of rebel Scottish warrior William Wallace and his fierce battle to rid Scotland of a tyrannical English ruler. Mythmaking at its best, Braveheart picked up Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography and more. Days of Thunder Tom Cruise stars as Cole Trickle, a talented but unproven stock-car driver who gets a chance to race with the big kahunas. Under the guidance of veteran Robert Duvall, Trickle turns heads on the track but goes too far and almost loses it all. The action-packed racing scenes are the true star in this raceway version of Top Gun. Far and Away In Ron Howard's epic drama, two 19th century Irish immigrants make the journey to the United States together, but for very different reasons. Joseph Donelly (Tom Cruise) is a poor farmer who's lost everything, while Shannon Christie (Nicole Kidman) is chafing against her privileged but stifling upbringing. Looking for land as they make their way west, they also find love as they endure a series of hardships that strengthens their relationship. Raiders of the Lost Ark Get ready to globe-trot with one of the big screen's greatest adventurers. When Dr. Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) -- the tweed-suited professor who just happens to be a celebrated archaeologist -- is hired by the government to locate the legendary Ark of the Covenant (resting place of the original Ten Commandments), he finds himself up against the entire Nazi regime. Steven Spielberg and George Lucas teamed up to create this all-time favorite. Kiss of Death Ex-con Jimmy Kilmartin (David Caruso) wants to put a whole lot of distance between himself and his past. But when his cousin, Ronny (Michael Rapaport), shows up begging for help with one more heist, Jimmy agrees. Of course, things go sour (big surprise!), and Jimmy is the de facto fall guy. All he can do is play the pawn in a police plot to bring down a psychotic gangster named Little Junior (Nicolas Cage).
Old 04-06-2005, 01:21 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

:bravo

Whew! Good Job. Now that's what I'M TALKING 'BOUT!!
Old 04-07-2005, 04:04 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Last night I watched Miami Vice:Season 1 Disc 1 Step back into 1980s Miami, a glamorous yet dangerous playground for such disparate characters as drug kingpins, models, rock stars and small-time criminals. Vice cops Sonny Crockett (Don Johnson) and Rico Tubbs (Phillip Michael Thomas) are the epitome of Miami style as they keep the thugs in line; underneath, though, they're hard-core law enforcement officials sexy enough to infiltrate the underground but smart enough to keep it at arm's length.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:40 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Okie dokie. I just finally got my forum up and running - primary purpose: To have fun in recovery. Mike - come be 'a part of!'. The movie part still isn't done. However, there are games and polls and all that jazz. Oh - location: www.iwantrecovery.com/forum - love to have you or anyone for that matter. Just getting started.

Ok, I just watched a movie Playing God. We talked about it here - David Duchovny plays a surgeon who lost his license due to his drug addiction. It was actually pretty good - had Timothy Hutton in it and Angelina Jolie. It was entertaining - let me put it that way. It also had that first person narration of the main character and I enjoyed that. Drugs involved were a little pharmaceutical grade speed and also fentanyl. He said his drug of choice was opiates. So anyway - at one point as he was trying to kick his DOC became MORE as he started guzzling some cough syrup - what will that get you these days - the DXM effect, isn't that it? Perhaps - PERHAPS it has a slight psychedelic effect, if even. Still, the kids today are definitely drinking the stuff. Of course they didn't go into this in the movie.

Last night I watched the movie Thirteen that we also talked about here. It had Holly Hunter and another guy I like but don't remember his name. It is about some 13 year olds but honestly - this was a pretty moving movie. Punny, eh?! Anyway, definitely moving. Holly Hunter is a recovering addict - talks to her sponsor and the whole nine yards. Her boyfriend is a recovering coke addict - I believe it is actually crack as you get a flashback of one memory of the 13 year old. Still, for me it represented typical problems of 13 year olds but I don't know if my own childhood was all that typical - I was a freak and this girl and her friends certainly are, too. Pretty serious movie, though.

Okay, back to the B's soon!

Theresa
Old 04-09-2005, 11:12 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I watched Playing God on TV a couple weeks ago.Shaun of the dead arrived yesterday.I only watched 10 or 15 minutes and got bored with it.I will probably finish it tonight.Also I will come check out your site Theresa.Im gonna walk away from the computer for a while now and get outside and enjoy the beautiful spring weather.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:00 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Oh and what a beautiful day it is out there! We are going to an H&I Convention tonight. It's been going on all weekend but we will go check out the merchandise, get our HUGS, see the main speaker - maybe hang around during the dance....I don't know about actual dancing, though.

So did you like Playing God at all? Yeah I watched Shaun of the Dead. My bf was more thrilled by it than I was. I guess it had its moments, though.

Hope you are having a great day! I haven't even gone back over to the High School High forum since I posted here last - so busy doing other online things but my bf said - who's Time2Surrender? So I know you signed up. Thanks and I hope you will/did get involved - play some of those games and such. I'd love to talk some recovery in the appropriate section, too when you're ready - I posted the Practicing HALT the other day to get that started and today I put up Living in the Now. SO...if you have any comments they are certainly welcomed! I could always use some ES&H. There's lots to do there so any involvement is much appreciated until I get it off the ground a little more - or forever for that matter...

I am starting to miss movies. I actually put one in during the afternoon yesterday because I just can't wait around until someone else is ready to watch which seems like never, if you know what I mean. I am a self-admitted movie addict and I need my fix. So I put in The Notebook but started falling asleep - not because it was boring, in fact it looked like it just might be a pretty good movie. Point is, I think I am going to start watching some movies I have here that I just can't keep waiting to watch.

Talk to you later.
Theresa
Old 04-09-2005, 03:16 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

I liked Playing God I didnt see all of it.I missed the beginning.I think that was the first time I ever saw Timmoty Hutton play a bad guy.I tried to finish Shaun of the dead Just couldnt get into it.Im more into Robert Deniro "Mafia" type movies.Yeah,your site looks pretty cool.I posted in "name that movie" I put an easy one in there.I think I will go see if anyone guessed it yet.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:12 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

I just went to my mailbox and Ray arrived today.I rented so many duds lately.I hope this one is good.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:35 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Shakes the Clown is an old favorite of mine - great comedy about an alcoholic clown (bobcat goldwaith). Funny movie with a lot of cameos of big people in it.
Plot summary: Comedian Bobcat Goldthwait (Scrooged) wrote, directed and stars in this minor cult favorite about the trials of an alcoholic clown trying to make it in the cruel show business world of Palookaville, U.S.A. In between beating up mimes and escaping from brutal rodeo clowns, Shakes (Goldthwaite) gets framed for the murder of his boss. Comedienne Julie Brown plays Shakes's girlfriend. Look for Robin Williams and Adam Sandler in cameos.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:29 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Okay I watched a movie called The Boost with James Woods in it. As we talked about, he seems to be in a lot of addiction-related movies.

The movie was from 1988. He was a salesman trying to make it and ended up trying some coke. Then that's all she wrote. It is the story of (eventually his wife joined in) he and his wife going down...down down down.

So, as far as being addiction/recovery related - it's the story of where drugs take you.

Plot summary:
When Lenny Brown (James Woods) is recruited to go to Los Angeles and hustle real estate, he jumps at the opportunity. But when the housing market hardens, Lenny steals $20,000 from his boss (Steven Hill) and moves to Santa Cruz to detox from his cocaine addiction. The plan fails miserably, however, when his dealer stops by to party and Lenny can't keep his hands off of the drug. Sean Young co-stars.

It wasn't the greatest movie. It was entertaining, I guess. It skipped a lot or so it seemed. He even mentioned going to meetings at one point which was kind of weird as it was never shown in any way in the movie - just his offhand comment during a time he tried the 'geographical change' idea.

Theresa
Old 06-19-2005, 12:18 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

I wanna see the new "Batman" movie.Anyone seen it yet? In the mean time,I think I will head back up to my room and watch "SeaBisquit". It starts in 3 minutes.Ive never seen it.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:16 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Hey are you back yet? I saw an excellent addiction/recovery movie. It had the Big book and the Basic Text in it. It was pretty harsh, though, to say the least for at least the first 5 minutes. Still, it was a recovery movie. I wouldn't even suggest it to most people. During the first 5 minutes we contemplated turning it off even.

I read reviews by addicts saying that it wasn't realisitic - well, I don't know what kind of addicts they were but it was pretty much very realistic for me. Anyway - I rented it from Netflix so they have it.

It's called Never Get Outta the Boat. Check it out Mike. Hey if you want I have been sending out some DVD's and care packages to folks - if you want to talk to Judy O. - she got a copy of this movie or Jerry or Christina at HighSchoolHigh - they all received packages and some even sent me some stuff. It's kind of fun to get a goodie box, ya know? Anyway - I'd be glad to burn you a copy....just pm me or email me or whatever.

Good to hear from you! I haven't even hardly been to my site in a week or so. I did go by last night. I had a really rough week on the homefront ...at least all of last week. I am going out of town on Friday to visit my dad. I guess after 10 years - familiarity really does breed contempt.

Alright I need some sleep. Lots of work to do around here tomorrow.

Oh and I saw the NOTEBOOK. If you haven't seen it - don't read the box or the review or anything about it. Just get it and watch it. I put it off forever but in the end, I am so glad i watched it but also glad I knew NOTHING about what it might be about. Just watch it and don't let curiosity get the best of you on this one. It's worth not knowing.

Sincerely,
Theresa
Old 06-22-2005, 04:02 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Hey Teresa.Im still in New Jersey.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:19 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Well come back soon! I didn't even visit my site once today but last time i checked there were over 170 people. Someone needs to moderate, I guess.

Oh I am tired and I have to get up at 7am and it's 1:20. I know I won't even hear the alarm or the phone - I won't even hear it to turn it off. I'm bad about that.

Take care!
Theresa
Old 06-30-2005, 01:02 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Hello:

I saw a movie called Never Get Outta the Boat. It was from maybe 2002. It was a most excellent movie about a bunch of guys at a recovery house. If you've ever been at a half-way, 3/4's or sober living facility - this movie, IMO, really showed the life. this place was a little lax where they stayed and there were some EXTREMELY graphic scenes at the beginning of the movie. So much so that I thought about turning it off during the first 5 minutes which is why I hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

I read a lot of reviews about it before i saw it by actual addicts who put their opinions on IMDB or Netflix and some said it wasn't realistic at all. Some said it was very realistic. IMO - it was right on the money. I mean that was my experience and what my life in addiction was like so it was very realistic to me. Well - what my life in the end was like once I started going to rehabs and places like these guys stayed.

I really enjoyed the movie. It showed the NA Basic Text, the AA Big Book, it had meetings in it - all the catch phrases or whatever you call them - I call them 'digs' - you know, one day at a time, meeting makers make it and so on. Those were all those things I used to hate. I remember once my bf telling me to stop saying those stupid AA lines. Yet over the years they have surely gotten into my head and help me to stay clean. I think that's why we hear them over and over and over again - we need them and when the time comes, one of those lines pops into your thoughts that you really need to hear.

Here is the Netflix review
: Set in an L.A. drug rehab center, this bittersweet tale centers on a group of young men struggling to stay sober, land jobs and confront their personal demons amidst the constant comings and goings of other patients. Live-in counselors apply support-group tactics with little success, but everything changes when Angel enters the program.

Well, I am not a member of Netflix any longer so I am now reading at IMDB. This movie was actually a John Cusack movie - okay he was the executive producer. It has no one in it you'll recognize probably but I really enjoyed this movie.

Theresa A.