Notices

alcoholic husband

Old 11-23-2004, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy alcoholic husband

My husband has a drinking problem, and has promisewd to get some help. I think he needs an inpatient facility, but he does not want that. He;s been promising to see a psychologist that specializes in SMART recovery for the last month, but never made an appt. I called and made him one for today, which I find out he did not go to.

How do I convince him that he needs to get help?????
Please help,
Depserate,
unhappy.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

unhappy

I am the partner of an alcoholic, so I understand where you're coming from.

Please come over to the Friends and Family board - that's where all of us who are affected by someone elses drinking hang out.

In response to your question, I'm afraid that you can't make your husband get help - he will seek help when he feels he needs to. He doesn't sound like he's quite ready yet. That's his decision. To understand a bit more, check out some previous posts on the Friends and Family board, especially the power posts at the top.

You're not alone, so stick around a do some reading and posting. Have you thought about trying an al-anon meeting?

Take care

Minnie
xxx
Old 11-23-2004, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

sorry to break it to you unhappy, but you really can't convince him to. this is something that he needs to find in himself. he needs to find the responsibility and the will to approach this. and this is hard. trust me. its hard for him, yet also hard for you. you are virtually powerless in this situation. you can only control you. this kind of situation, more often than not, tears relationships to shreds. i believe that because i lived it. there seems to be two clear options for someone in your situation- get out while you have some sanity, or stay, grin and bear it, and hope that eventually it will get better. i know that it is tough, but hang in there. there is always options and we are always here.
Good Luck :nose

seana smith
Old 02-23-2006, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband denies his an abuser

My husband drinks every single day and he denies he is an abuser. He does not get drink though. He has to drink something even if it a a couple of shots. I am tired as I am 23 years. I am want to run so bad but I feel triped in this stupid marriage. I am ashame of the label divorce.

Lauren
Old 02-23-2006, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I belong to SMART. You have to want to change for this program to work, just like NA etc. Until the addict/alcoholic choses to stop, you have to remember
You did not cause the addiction
You can not control the addiction
You cannot cure the addiction

Praying for you and hope to see you post over at the Family and Friends board.