Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Sober again. Don't know what to do different to stick

Notices

Old 02-20-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really don't know what to do to keep sober. I am trying aND not willing to give up on myself. I just don't know what to do to keep sober and know I need to and want to
Old 02-20-2019, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi soberknotsea

I think, if you keep going back to using, it's a sign that you need to do more for your recovery.

Some people go to NA or AA or SMART or Lifering , some go to rehab, (inpatient or outpatient) some see their DR or a counsellor, some really plug into a community like SR and post here daily, not just after they fall.

some folks do a mixture of most, if not all, of those things.

I spent a lot of years declaring I would try again to stay clean and sober - but I just did the same things I did last time - hanging out with the same crew, mostly gritting my teeth, exhausting myself facing temptation and thinking eff it, I'll try again after this time.

I had no template to look at to think about how I might handle life and its problems differently.

Without alternatives I was fated to going back to the status quo and drinking and drugging again.

You've proved you can get clean - now you have to stay clean.

Think about what you're prepared to change in your life and what you're prepared to add to what you've been doing.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for thoughtful response. Yeah you are right I gotta do more. I don't have those contacts and aren't gonna hang around those people. My dealer even called me today and I told him no and I am staying away. Deleted the number.
I think making myself go to meetings can't hurt and I can go on Mondays. I guess I'll keep posting on here and give that a go. I know I just need to get that first week under my belt. Day 1 in the books and working thru day 2.
taking kratom to get thru withdrawals, having a tough time this go round but really trying

do you think I can do 12 steps and still keep it from my fiance? I can't reveal this to her
Old 02-20-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never done meetings personally and I don't know your relationship, man.

I couldn't keep it from my wife, as in I wouldn't want to, and she has ESP anyway.

I'm read some pretty bad things about Kratom too - I'd be careful about developing a cross addiction.

D
Old 02-20-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

do you think I can do 12 steps and still keep it from my fiance? I can't reveal this to her

why?
Old 02-20-2019, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cuz she will have 0 sympathy or understanding
Old 02-20-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah I know you are right about kratom. Gonna do a step down but just using it as a crutch for the first few days. I was able to say no to my dealer calling me today and told him I am staying away, then I deleted the number again
Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was on 5 litres of rotgut wine a day when I stopped

I went to (and still do) AA and SMART meetings, walked a lot- lots, GP checkups for depression, counsellor ,for addiction ( I was in a recovery program), psychologist- CBT to deal with my fried brain

I FORCED myself to do volunteer work- running AA meetings, a meet/greet role at State museum, volunteered at community centre, joined art groups and a creative writing group and joined in a few community art projects

I use SR daily and journal a lot

support to you
Old 02-24-2019, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had to cut off all routes to supply... cut ties with all using friends, deleted numbers for dealers (and if they texted me again deleted straight away).... currently I still have cravings but have no physical way of getting any. I even had my husband change the password on my phone account so I can't look up old records, and I can't change the pass without it sending him an email to check.

That kind of watertight cutting off. I guess if I was really really determined to score I could still try and find some on the street or something, when there's a will there's a way, but I know I don't want to anymore and I've just made it ultra difficult for myself to actually go and score.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah cutting myself is Def the way to go. Gonna keep 0 balance in my bank account for a minute and just give it to the wifey