Notices

Opinions please

Old 12-10-2018, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
10r

Opinions please

Hello,
im really worried about this and wondering what everybody has to say.
I got my license back about 6 months ago finally after a long recovery from alcohol.
It was taken due to a seizure I had which they blamed on alcohol.

So now I had the checkup at the doctors for alcohol testing. I have not been drinking.
The driving authority clearly wants to know I’m sober and seizure free. Which I am. That’s all. I’m confident I will pass long and short term testing for alcohol.

However, the doctor did a drug test on me which I didn’t expect. Urine. Still I have no worries for alcohol since I haven’t drank.
With the new marijuana laws in Canada I did however smoke weed. It’s legal and I wanted to try it although I’m sorry for that now as it will show on the drug test.

The letter said seizure and alcohol free which I am.

So my question is, think I’m screwed for a license?
Do you think the doc will mention the weed?

Im really scared because this is threatening to my marriage and job.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi 1Or

I'm not familiar with the laws in Canada.

In Australia as a driver you can be tested anytime for drugs like cannabis, meth, opioids etc

The only really safe limit is Zero....

I hope that you fall under whatever the prescribed limit will be. If not it might be a costly lesson I'm afraid

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marij...know-1.4862207

D
Old 12-10-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know why they would test for other drugs when the instruction is that you are to be alcohol free. Stranger things have happened I suppose.

I don't think anyone here can give you a real answer, since we don't even know what jurisdiction you are in and why you had your license taken away (ie: you said seizure from alcohol, were you charged with something or did they just have mandatory reporting?).

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. If you find it does have any effect on you keeping your license you need a lawyer. In fact it wouldn't hurt to contact one right away and just have a consultation, some even offer consultations for free.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
10r

The new law in Canada will be roadside saliva tests or the breathalyzer. The police don’t even have to have probable cause.
I agree with this as Nobody should drive under the influence.

Thanks Trailmix for the advice.
So I was never charged with anything. They took my license due to “ seizure”. I fought for almost 2 years to get it back. Now they are doing a checkup.
Im to have no alcohol or any more seizures to keep my license. So I passed the alcohol test with flying colours and I haven’t had a seizure.
So I should be able to keep the license.

im waiting on the toxicology test which I’m sure I’ll fail for Cannibis.
Since ive done everything they want I should be able to keep my license. The doc however will probably report that I smoked a joint.
If they yank my license I will be getting a lawyer.

im not saying doing any type of drug is ok. However, I don’t think they should take my ride to work away because of one small mistake.

i strongly believe in not driving under the influence.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it works out for you 10r.

D
Old 12-22-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

As far as I know, weed doesn't trigger seizures.

Problem with marijuana testing is that since it's fat soluble it lingers in the body for a very long time.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
10r

I waited all week for my license approval.
There is a way to check online.
It came up as a “valid” response with today’s date meaning I can drive. That’s at least for now but still worried it is a delay or the doc will still take it.
im incredibly happy I can get groceries today and go to work to support my family.
I didn’t think I’d be so upset at myself for this.
Yes, I screw up but I learned a lesson.
The driving impared programs have went went crazy with the legalization of pot. So I will remember what Dee said. The only safe limit is zero.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 10r View Post
I waited all week for my license approval.
There is a way to check online.
It came up as a “valid” response with today’s date meaning I can drive. That’s at least for now but still worried it is a delay or the doc will still take it.
im incredibly happy I can get groceries today and go to work to support my family.
I didn’t think I’d be so upset at myself for this.
Yes, I screw up but I learned a lesson.
The driving impared programs have went went crazy with the legalization of pot. So I will remember what Dee said. The only safe limit is zero.
Glad for you.

The fact that something (alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, gambling, prostitution, etc.) may be legal doesn't register in whether I choose to pursue it.

It's your recovery and not mine, but I sure wouldn't want to still be smoking dope.

Good luck with your pursuits.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
10r

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Glad for you.

The fact that something (alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, gambling, prostitution, etc.) may be legal doesn't register in whether I choose to pursue it.

It's your recovery and not mine, but I sure wouldn't want to still be smoking dope.

Good luck with your pursuits.
Sober,
Thanks for the obvious advice. Yes, I screwed up smoking the weed. I understand this is a recovery website. It’s why I’m here.
I have not smoked since. Legal or not.
Originally I posted about my drivers license because I was worried is all.

It is by gods grace that I still have a drivers license. I have a respect for it like most people don’t.

Thanks everyone for listening