Notices

Haven’t been here in a while..

Old 03-02-2018, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Haven’t been here in a while..

I’m not new here but my last post was 2015... my issue was cocaine. It started in 2011 and it started as a weekend thing and it became a very regular thing... by 2014 I was using every 2-3 days or more. Then I badly injured my back (ruptured 3 disks) and could barely walk never mind anything else.
During my long recovery I quit using and I thought I was in the clear. Unfortunately, during that time the injury took its toll on me not just physically but emotionally as well. My inability to do my normal routine took a toll on me. I couldn’t work out... it was all I could do to walk my dog and keep up with house and yard work. I gained weight and ended up in a nasty state of depression..
I persevered until late 2016 then couldn’t take it anymore. I went to my doctor and after tests I was diagnosed with clinical depression due to chemical imbalance. I had dealt with base line depression (disphoriaj since I was a kid...
my doctor prescribed me Effexor. It was a godsend. I started to get energy back. I started to laugh and enjoy life again. However, although I didn’t realize it for quite some time, it also caused some sort of switch to go off in me and as good as the Effexor made me feel I craved something more.
At first it was just a few drinks here or there once in a while in social situations; nothing out of control.. nothing that would raise any flags. My issue was never alcohol. BUT on the Effexor alcohol added a kick and I found I started craving it but I was controlling the voice... Until one night last summer, having drinks at a neighbors around the fire pit. All seemed ok; I went into her house to refil my drink and another neighbor had a couple lines cut up on the counter. I was offered one, I did it and it’s been a downward spiral since.
I haven’t got to the point I was before... if I can manage not to drink then I’m fine. I don’t even think about coke. I tell myself I can have a couple drinks after a **** day and then I’m getting coke. I know what the booze will lead to but it’s like my mind craves the booze and the coke is just out of habit. I will have a few drinks and I’ll have a line or two then I’ll just leave the rest... won’t touch it again until the next time I drink.
I have tried switching antidepressants but they all had terrible (suicidal) type reactions for me. These ones are great aside from this issue (yes I know it’s a big one) but I’m not willing to go back to how I felt before...
Has anyone dealt with this?
Old 03-02-2018, 12:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share regard Effexor, but welcome back aloneandlost.
However it started it sound like pretty standard addiction to me.

Have you considered meeting based recovery groups like AA, NA, SMART lifering?

D
Old 03-02-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was on Effexor for 16 years, because SSRI antidepressants made me suicidal, too.

I also started my heavy drinking while I was on Effexor (though I didn’t make the connection till you mentioned it). I found that with Effexor I could get really plastered on much less liquor than it would ordinarily take.

Eventually I chose to wean off, because there was a side effect I wanted to get rid of. It was a very nasty withdrawal (turned me into a psycho for a few days, once in a public place!).

But since then I’ve been on Wellbutrin, which has been very effective for me.

It’s not an SSRI.

I wish you every success in finding the right antidepressant and getting clean from everything else.