Notices

Ayahuasca retreat ?

Old 08-02-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ayahuasca retreat ?

Hello everyone,

So my fellow addict friend went to Ecuador to have an Ayahuasca retreat. Apparently its a 12 day program, where they do spiritual ceremonies, and they promise you an enlightenment and a spiritual awakening. Sadly it didn't work for her and when she got back, she returned to using. I heard about a few recovering addicts from our meetings, that also gave it a try. And some of them got back and haven't used since. It got me thinking of trying it, but I'm afraid it won't work for me, and I lose everything I built in my recovery. I also believe it will cleanse and help you very much spiritually, but not for me addict, I have a disease that is not curable, I need the program, something that makes me connected to my higher power everyday and to my fellow recovering addicts who can help me anytime. But I can't deny my disease is telling me to give it a try.

I don't know, what do you guys think ?
Old 08-02-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

How much do you know about that stuff? There is a documentary on Netflix about it. It is a hallucinogen even if it is arguably made by the brain as well. I would be really careful about something like that if your primary emotion over it involves fear. It could go bad.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think there are less risky and demonstrably more effective (if humdrum) ways to get sober and stay that way mraoulf?

D
Old 08-02-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My experience with hallucinogens would make me very cautious about using them in a situation or mindset that comes from a place of fear. I have a good friend that goes to regular ayahuasca ceremonies for spiritual reasons and I know they are a very powerful drug.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Do you go mtns
Old 08-03-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mraouf, there was a time in my life when I was very into psychedelics, and my experiences with DMT (the psychoactive component of Ayahuasca) was on top. I almost never used them as party drugs, it was all about exploring the inner landscape, or so I thought... paying lots of attention to creating interesting environments for it etc -- like many people who call themselves "the explorers of the mind", I think. The main period of this passion came before I developed a drinking problem, and I also used psychedelics occasionally when an alcoholic drinker. Would never stop me. In fact, some of the scariest substance-fueled experiences in my life happened when I mixed psychedelics with alcohol, sometimes lasting for days beyond using, not necessarily in the form of flashbacks and such, more like intense paranoia and persistent states of depersonalization/derealization. I remember some very vividly and there was nothing appealing or therapeutic about those states. I did love many of my pure psychedelic experiences though (good or unsettling ones). But they had absolutely zero effect on my desire to drink a few days later. I am familiar with the Ayahuasca culture and those retreats many people go to, and while I can acknowledge that the environmental component and the way its done may make big differences, I never felt convinced or compelled that these experiences might help me quit my addictions or obsessions. In fact, I can easily get obsessed with the psychedelic experiences themselves, and honestly, these days whenever I think about potentially doing something to alter my mental state, I tend to crave these drugs, not alcohol. And I have not even used any for over 6 years now.
Just my experience.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have heard many amazing stories of ayahuasca healing addiction and other ailments. I did it once with a shaman I had known for some time to heal my ptsd but it did not help me. I'm not sure why it wasn't effectI've for me though.
My experience with the plant was really bad. Felt suicidal the whole time and for several months afterward having flash backs to the ceremony and how I was feeling.
I'm glad its out there and getting more visible and I hesitate to share my experience because I do belive different things effect everyone differently and my experience it is only anecdotal but afer the ceremony I almost blamed myself for not getting "healed". I kept hearing all the accounts about people having these amazing revelactions and change in their perception and it was nice when I finally found stories of people who had a bad experience so I did not feel so alone.
Ayahuasca is not for everyone.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Dangers of ayahuasca

Canadian kills British tourist during drug ritual

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...588_story.html