Notices

recovery

Old 11-02-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

recovery

How did you feel after going through detox and rehab? What was it like for you the first week out of inpatient? What did you feel like physically/emotionally/mentally during the first 90 days? What were your views on relationships? I really am just looking for personal experience s for my own knowledge. Any response will be appreciated.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went through inpatient rehab for alcohol after an intervention by my home and work "family." I did really well in rehab and found myself as a skilled manipulator. I got to leave a few days early as I "did so well." My first days back were full of resolve and bulshiit and an undercurrent of thoughts of when I could get high again. I did AA which I learned a lot from and the experience helped me greatly to develop a sober lifestyle from which the undercurrent finally settled away. I was sober for 10 years.

Eventually I did go back and was my first foray into straight opiates from which I recovered a few years later with face to face counseling only to go back again and again with sobriety lasting months to years.

These last times were truly enlightening and felt more genuine and honest. After withdrawals I found myself seeing life differently with a fresh perspective. I felt like I was seeing life and the world through different eyes. I felt healthy and clean and that I was embarking on a whole new life. My relationship with my wife was restored. She has been a great help to me in reaching what I hope is the sobriety which I will carry to the end.

I went back again for a couple months only to recover again which is where I am now. I experienced the same recovery of my life and happiness and once again feel as if I am viewing life through a different perspective. I have recovered my imagination, my thought processes, my art and my skills.

I think you see many others express similar feelings and views after they get through the initial withdrawals and see that, indeed, they can find a life without all the despicable, disgusting aspects of life and behavior that occur with addiction.

The problem as indicated by many others as well is that eventually the euphoria of new life fades and life becomes "normal." That is when the real struggle begins.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It depends what substance. In the past 7 months, I have quit heroin, crystal meth, morphine, cigarettes, and alcohol. They're all different, but I'd have to say alcohol withdrawals gave me severe anxiety, but increased cognition and alertness, and memory after it was over cigarette withdrawals made me pissed, but the aftermath made food taste better meth wds gave me lack of interest in much for about 2 months, but now I realize that a lot of the thoughts I was having on meth were insane, and very dark, so I've trained myself to not think such insanely dark horrible things all the time, and opiate withdrawals foo-kin suck, they feel like a band aid is being ripped from the bones, but after
opiate withdrawal, I noticed a lot of nuances and feelings in life that had been numbed by morphine and black.

so far, I've noticed that I can talk straight, I can think more clearly, and simple things bring more pleasure now than they did when I was withdrawing from drugs, or on them for that matter.