Notices

Advice needed

Old 10-11-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice needed

My husband revealed to me that he was addicted to OxyContin almost a year ago. We were engaged to be married and we went through counseling and I decided to still marry him. He's been doing great, he's been on Suboxone. And I thought everything was going well. But a couple weeks ago he had a very small root canal. I made sure that he was aware that he would not be able to take any painkillers and he agreed wholeheartedly. But today I found a pill bottle stuffed underneath his car seat for Tramadol. What is this? Should I beware worried? I know it is a painkiller... And the fact that he was hiding it and lied about it has put me in a tailspin. Please help! I have no one else to ask.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am a new codie and have had similar problems with my oxy loving AH...call him out on it so he knows he's not getting away with it but remember that YOU are important in this whole thing. Don't try to control his actions cause that will drive you banana sandwich. Check out a book called Co-Dependent No More and take care of yourself. Prayers to you...don't let his behavior dictate your happiness. Set boundaries and learn to detach then you will be fine.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes Tramadol is a much milder opiate pain medicine. It is usually the first medicine a doctor will prescribe to treat moderate to moderatly severe pain. It used to not be a controlled med.....not sure if that has changed. For a long time it used to be considered non-addictive. Believe it or not my doctor prescribed it to me knowing I'm an addict. When I questioned him, he told me not to worry it is non-addictive. It's true that it didn't do much for me as far as getting high....helped a little for my pain. Course I was a heavy oxy addict. So I'm not sure if his doctor was as ill-informed as mine was.
I think you will need to sit down and have a discussion with him.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tion-pius.html

Maybe it will be helpful to call the councilor the two of you used for some tips too.

Sorry you are going thru this. I'm sure it was a shock to you.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is nothing that won't get me high it seems so I did have an effect from Tramadol and in fact it was what I was using at the end of my most recent "difficulty."

I found that it took the edge off of any other cravings and made my day a bit easier. I also talked in a much more relaxed fashion and would always liked to have taken one before any time that I had to give a talk in front of any size group of people.

So yes it did have an effect on me but more importantly it was yet another crutch that allowed me to continue my drug habit. Al long as I am taking ANYTHING intended to make me feel better then I AM NOT CLEAN."

Now, to qualify that last statement if I have a headache and take an aspirin it helps to make me feel better and I don't count that. What I am talking about is a medication - or whatever - that alters my presence in the world or changes my perspective or loosens my tongue or that gives me any kind of a wonderful glow will keep me or start me seeking to continue, exaggerate or expand that feeling. For me that is bad and I have proven that all too many times.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberSupporter View Post
My husband revealed to me that he was addicted to OxyContin almost a year ago. We were engaged to be married and we went through counseling and I decided to still marry him. He's been doing great, he's been on Suboxone. And I thought everything was going well. But a couple weeks ago he had a very small root canal. I made sure that he was aware that he would not be able to take any painkillers and he agreed wholeheartedly. But today I found a pill bottle stuffed underneath his car seat for Tramadol. What is this? Should I beware worried? I know it is a painkiller... And the fact that he was hiding it and lied about it has put me in a tailspin. Please help! I have no one else to ask.
All is not lost. If he told his medical professional that he was being treated for opiate addiction with suboxone then tramadol is often prescribed as it is one of the few painkillers that can be somewhat effective while someone is being treated with suboxone. Just because someone has abused OXY, that does not mean they don't have a right to have their pain treated under the care of a doctor. Why should an addict in recovery have to suffer in pain needlessly? They along with their doctor should have the right to discuss the pro's and cons and decide. Tramadol is a compromise in this situation. However he should have told you. If he had would you have been open minded about it or simply said no, suffer through it?
Old 10-14-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drug abuse has consequences. If a doc knows you have a history of abuse, they are not going to load you up like others. I really don't blame them for that. In their view, handling a little more pain is better than putting you on the painkiller train again.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it seems its not the prescribed medication itself as much as it is where he chose to KEEP IT. i don't usually store my medications under the seat of my car, do you?

not sure exactly how you found yourself reaching under or around the seat of his car, but the fact is, you found the pill bottle. the best thing to do is to share this with your husband...with as little judgement as possible. (i'd also double check the name of the prescribing physician, the date etc to clarify that this was a result of the root canal and not some "other" medication issue). might as well be up front about it, not dwell.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mkintexas View Post
Why should an addict in recovery have to suffer in pain needlessly? They along with their doctor should have the right to discuss the pro's and cons and decide. Tramadol is a compromise in this situation. However he should have told you. If he had would you have been open minded about it or simply said no, suffer through it?
Possibly he wanted to eat 'em all and try to get high? Probably wouldn't have worked if he's on suboxone but it still might have been his motivation. Possibly he wanted to sell them? Possibly he was worried about being in pain yet also worried about the reaction of others to his having pain medication? I dunno, ask him? Open and honest communication is key in healthy relationships. Often it is fear that keeps us from communicating honestly even with the people with love and trust. Actually sometimes it is hardest with the people we love and trust the most. What are your fears? What are his?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

wishing you luck

Xtreem