Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Benzodiazepine (Ativan) addiction, need an answer asap, I'm desperate :(

Notices

Benzodiazepine (Ativan) addiction, need an answer asap, I'm desperate :(

Old 07-18-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Benzodiazepine (Ativan) addiction, need an answer asap, I'm desperate :(

Hello everyone.
I was browsing the internet, trying to find answers to my questions and found this forum.
I am a benzo addict, Ativan was my choice and I took it without any control for almost 2 years, 8 pills a day and sometimes more. The reason I got addicted to them was medical, they numbed some physicall symptoms I had and helped me sleep better, when they finally stopped working I decided to quit cold turkey, I had no idea of the risks and by day 4 without Ativan I had a seizure and ended up in the hospital. There they told me to stop with the Ativan and prescribed Diazepam instead. It took me a year to slowly get free of benzos but I finally finished it almost two months ago, I'm now benzo free and have no desire at all to go back to the same situation, I don't even miss them. Now comes the main problem, I suffer from Interstitial Cystitis, it's a painful bladder condition, to sum it up it's like having an UTI 365/24/7. I spent five years without any symptoms, I had almost forgotten how painful it was, unfortunately the symptoms came back in full force a week ago. The night is the worse, I can't sleep, the constant burning, urgency and frequency won't let me, last night I counted, I went to the bathroom 58 times between 2am and 5am, there's no need to say I haven't slept in almost a week. The only solution that crossed my mind was Activan, this disease was what caused my benzo addiction, an urologist prescribed Ativan to me because they relaxed the bladder muscles and I could sleep without interruption, I was so desperate but to my surprise it worked! Now I'm thinking about taking one tonight to see if it stops my constant trips to the bathroom, I wouldn't even be thinking about this if I wasn't so tired, I really need to sleep. Is it risky to take Ativan again? Will I have another seizure or it isn't that likely since I will only take one?
Old 07-18-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh Sweetcherry - I do hope you talk to your doctor about this. I get a lot of UTIs, so I can kind of gage what you are dealing with and it sounds awful!!!!

I was given Ativan when going through chemo treatments to help with nausea. I guess it has a lot of "off label" uses that I never knew. Anyway, I was on a very small dose (.5 or 1mg as needed) for a short time (4 months maybe) so I was lucky that I did not go through the wds. I also am prescribed klonopin for sleep and restless arms, but I don't care for them, I hardly ever touch them.

You do need to talk to the doctor, and you do need to be careful. I have no experience myself, but have read HORROR stories here concerning benzos. And it can be very dangerous as well. I hope someone can come along to offer something more than I have - but I cannot stress enough to talk to your doctor, tell him what you have been through. Be honest. There may be other options out there.

Just wanted to send you good wishes, again - what you are going through sounds dreadful! I hope you are feeling better soon!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome sweetcherry

I think you're risking a lot by going back to the ativan - there must be other treatments available that are less risk for you.

(I'm taking risky in re-addiction terms. I'm not a Dr and I can't comment on the possibility of seizures because I simply don't know.)

I hope you'll consult with your Dr,

D
Old 07-18-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The best advice we can give is talk to your doctor or urologist. I'm sure urologists have experience with similar cases and may be able to offer other treatments to help. Be open and honest about the benzo addiction, they will understand.

Sorry you're having such a terrible time trying to sleep I do hope you can get some relief without the benzos.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I took Ativan last night, just one pill ( 1mg ) after more than a year free from Ativan and 2 months free of Diazepam and I must say it was a blessing, I slept like a baby with only one trip to the bathroom. Unfortunately I'm too scared to keep on taking them, I don't count this as a relapse but I'm afraid I will relapse if I take more. I'm just concerned about one thing, I was fine during the day but now I have a terrible headache, I know it could be caused by many reasons but my anxiety keeps telling me it's related to taking Ativan again, is it possible?? I'm so afraid of having a seizure, it was just one pill...
Old 07-20-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

We really can't give you medical advice here sweetcherry.
It's against our rules and policies.

If you're worried about seizures, or anything else, you owe it to yourself to get a professional opinion anyway...

D
Old 07-21-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It would definitely be a good idea to see the doctor.

Today!

And ask for his opinion on other solutions.....Making sure he knows your situation (which requires complete honesty with revealing all pertinate information especially any addiction problems)
Old 07-23-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As a former Ativan addict myself, I'd strongly encourage you to talk to your doctor about ANY non-benzodiazepine solutions. Seriously, try to find anything else that works - muscle relaxants maybe, who knows. Don't re-enter this hell
Old 07-23-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There has gotta be a different solution. Benzo wd was so horrible for me, I would rather die than go thru it again. I only used recreationally for a year or so. Add a problem like yours and I'd have been in the loonie bin.
Please try and find something else
Old 07-23-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've got medical marijuana for IBS. There are cannabinoid receptors there. Might be worth investigation..:/
Old 07-23-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Be careful. Ativan and Valium nailed me and I wasn't even addicted to them per se. They are both (Ativan especially) very sneaky drugs.

It was hands down the worst wd experience I have ever had. Not even near worth it.