Notices

tramadol

Old 01-06-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

tramadol

Does anyone know anything about tramadol withdrawl? My step daughter is at our house she just had surgery and is having some symptoms she thinks might be linked to withdraw.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I took tramadol for a little while for pain. Doctors will swear up and down that it's not addictive but that's a lie as many who've taken it for any significant amount of time will attest to. The symptoms are pretty much the same as opiates -- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, chills, sweats, insomnia, body aches, etc.
The worst of it lasts about a week and if she goes to her doctor there are comfort meds they can prescribe to make the process at least a little bit more tolerable, like for nausea and diarrhea and they prescribe clonodine a lot to help with the sweating and anxiety.

So sorry she's going thru this but it'll pass soon. Any more questions just ask. :-)
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Of all the pain meds to withdraw from I would place tramadol in category of its own. While some people consider it weak compared to oxy and hydro I personally consider it potentially a little more dangerous to quit cold turkey due to its SSRI properties. I STRONGLY encourage you to make sure she is quitting according to her doctors taper plan.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Thanks. She has had a serious painful health issue that was finally resolved after a surgery. Years of chronic pain. She withdrew from it a couple of months ago after being on it for 2 years. I guess it was pretty bad. Now they gave it to her again and she is out. She is about a day and a half in and feeling pretty sick. She is not totally against going to the ER. I know alcohol can be dangerous. I guess I would like to know is this just going to be just suckie or actually dangerous. I told her about this website. Hopefully she is on her.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I got ahold of her. She will probably end up going to the ER. Apparently she is checking this site so anybody got anything she will see it.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, thanks MK, I forgot about the seizure warning they warn you about if u take too much. I'm glad she'll be going to the ER for evaluation. They'll make sure she's stable and do whatever they can to make this as easy for her as possible. I'm now on day 13 and it's extremely sucky but doable. I'm glad she has family to help; that makes the process so much more easier to, if just for encouragement.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Did she end up getting medical personnel involved?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by mkintexas View Post
Did she end up getting medical personnel involved?
Not yet. Talked to her today and she is not any better but not any worse. I have never really taken many pain pills outside of some dental work so I know nothing about this. She said the same thing about it that you guys said. Doctors made it seem to her like it was safe. She does have a follow up appointment tomorrow so I think she is trying to hold out. She does live with someone and we are close so if it comes down to it she can get to the ER which is in town.
Thanks for the info.