Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

So I'm finally beating alcohol.... next, the infamous benzo taper, ugh

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure as this is really "substance abuse" as I was prescribed benzos by a doctor for anxiety, but have been taking about 2-3mg of clonazepam for about a year, coupled with alcohol abuse (well I guess I answered my own question there).

Getting off the alcohol (with the help of the benzos) is a hard enough habit to kick in itself, and even though I find no enjoyment in benzos (anxiety use only... and that doesn't even work as well anymore).... the thought of tapering off them next is not fun. I know that takes a LOT longer, and the the withdrawal lasts a LOT longer.

Any experiences would be appreciated. Once I'm fully stable off the alcohol for awhile, I want off the benzos. I want to THINK again!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BFD
Slowly, but surely, making it!

I think you have a nice plan in place, and I'm proud of you for wanting to try. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a very long haul coming off benzos.
Too long I think in retrospect.
Maybe better to speed up taper if on a relatively low dose.

I made the mistake of returning to ease the w/drawl.
Some do it much easier than others.
Hang on in there, there's light at the end of the tunnell.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took a week off work and did it 7 days.

I am not sure if this would be recommended by medics, but at the time I was quite lacking in my knowledge of addition.

I too was prescribed them for anxiety by my GP.

My withdrawal was just like having the flu.
I ached, had restless legs, slept a lot, had brain fog.
I continued with it and after 7 days I was over the worse of it.

I remember for the next month I felt 'fragile'.
Nervous and jittery, but no craving.

I also ensured that all tablets I had were gone so I would not be tempted to take them again.

So thats me. That was my way. I cannot recommend it as I have no medical training on this, but it is just an explanation of how I tackled it.

To be honest, it was not the hardest thing I have ever done. I was not rolling around the floor in agony. It was unpleasant but it was okay.

I wish you the best
xx
Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smalltowngirl,

Your in the right place. That's great that you are making this change. By working with my Psych Dr I was able to siccessfully taper off of Xanax. It can be done. Are you working with your prescribing doctor to plan your taper? There is also an anxiety forum here on SR a lot of information on xanax and anxiety.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jkb

In my experience.....Talk to your doctor and do is so you can remain functional. I did a cold turkey from 2 mgs of klonopin after being on it for two years. I managed to go to work but, I could not trust myself to drive a car for any real distance, my CNS went into shock, I had to be put on BP meds (at 36 yrs old), and felt liek I was living in a nightmare. I had full on benzo withdrawl syndrome and it lasted for a LONG time. Approxiamtely 10% of people who come off benzos have these "extreme" symptoms according to my doctor.

I wish I had known then what I know now. I am so glad I am off the klonopin bc it was robbing me of my life but, for me it was not easy. GL, Jess