Notices

Help Urgent

Old 02-03-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help Urgent

my uncle has been a heavy drinker since he was 11 ..... he has stopped drinking before and has had dt episodes but this time its worse than before right now his in my living room.... he has his eyes shut and wont open them ...we already took him to the emergency room but they just keep sending him home ....he hasn't ate or have anything to drink for about 5 days and has not open his eyes everytime we try and talk to him when he sits up he starts screaming saying no and get away .....we try and move him he puts force on his body and doesn't budge and starts screaming.....he tried to strangle one of his cats saying it was a demon before ....tomorrow we all have to go to work and no one can stay and watch out for him...we have 2 small dogs and we are afraid he may try to kill them.....thinking they are demons ...please help how can we shorten his dts ?? would he be a danger to himself ??? help (edit- his also shaking his head violently and spitting and screaming as well....he just sits there and moves his head to a diffrent direction ....like his looking at where your at but his eyes are closed...
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wow, I am sorry to hear this, how awful. surely he should be in the hospital? if you left him there, wouldn't they help him?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Does the ER know that he is detoxing and has a history of DT's? Also if he is exhibiting violence he can be Baker-Acted. Take him back to the ER. Detoxing from alcohol can be fatal.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

whats baker -acted and we took him to 5 hospitals told him his story and they just send him home saying theres nothing they can do about it right now his just looking at me with his eyes closed just sitting there
Old 02-03-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

gabe,

as chicory suggested, his best bet would be the hospital. I don't know if your emergency room might have a referral for psych admission? have you checked with the police department about a PET team? (psychriatrict evaluation team)

For you, can you board your pets for the day at the vets office or animal hospital? Please don't leave them with this sick man. can a friend or relative keep them for the day? You can call the vets emergency service for referral in the morning? Get the referral tonight so you have a plan in the morning.

Please don't forget to take care of you!

Love from Lenina
Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

we have asked for a psychriatrict evalutation in all the hospital we have visited we even said we would sue them out of desperation since they had us waiting because it was a low priority case thats what all 5 hospitals told us when they did take him in they told us that theres nothing they can do and they can't take him because it wouldnt make sense since they dont have treatments for dt
Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

im just worried that if dt can make people really dangerous?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I think I'd call the police and tell them you and your family are afraid of him and he refuses to leave. Tell them about the hallucinations and his attempt to strangle the cat. If the police transport him to the hospital, the hospital can't refuse to take him.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

gabe,

OK, can you call Alcohol and Drug Abuse hotline? They may have some local suggestions for you. usually alchol detox is an emergency. Did you check with the EMTs or fire department? They might know how to direct you. can you do a web search for services in your zip code?

If worse goes to worst, if he starts seizing or becoming violent, call 911. Try giving the Alcoholics Anonymous 24! Hour line a call. They might have some suggestions or know where would be a place for you to check out.

Please keep us posted!

Love from Lenina

detox can be life threatening for the alcoholic. there might be violence with the hallucinations.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well when he tried to strangle the cat was at his house but his wife doesn't want him there because shes worried of his sons safety and hers right now his sitting looking at the wall moving his hand left and right and what i can hear laughting?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Gabe, a baker-act is an involuntary placement of an individual who is a harm to themselves or others...an individual can be held and observed for up to 72 hours. Maybe this is just in Florida? Call the police and see if you have something similar in your state. He needs to be hospitalized.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I wouldn't think it would matter where he was when he tried to strangle the cat. He is still potentially dangerous. Do you feel comfortable going to sleep tonight with him in your house? I think I'd do whatever is necessary to get him out.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think calling the police or fire department is good idea. And if he hasnt eaten for 5 days, that's pretty bad too.
Don't give up looking for help. And keep yourself safe too!!

Please keep us posted!!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gabe,

I don't know medicine but there are drugs the doctors prescribe for alcohol detox, to prevent strokes and other harm. Is your uncle psychotic? it sounds to me like he might be with the hallucinations.

call 911 if he gets violent or has a seizure.

Love from Lenina
Old 02-03-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

he is psychotic from what i can tell his sitting down and moving his head left and right with his toungue out now ..... last night i locked my dogs and myself in my room for the night and have bags outside my door to wake me up incase he gets up at night
Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

gabe,

I'm glad you're taking care of yourself and your dogs. Please be safe. if you feel unsafe or threatened or it seems like an emergency to you, call 911. Just keep it short and simple. He may have the DTs which can be life threatening. It's a legitimate call, I think to the police for medical emergency. It's a not a drunk all, it's about his safety and health due to DTs.

I hope they can help you and your uncle stay safe.

Love from Lenina
Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It just sounds like a really bad situation reading it on paper here, if I were you I'd call an ambulance or 911 to have someone pick him up.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

thank you for all your help im documenting everything so i can show the doctors...
Old 02-03-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think it's ridiculous that the hospital won't take him. He is in acute alcohol withdrawl most likely and is having hallucinations. He is also a danger to himself and others and needs to be hospitalized for psych reasons as well as his detox. At this point in time he could also have gotten to the point where he has alcohol dementia....which is a REAL diagnosis also. Quite frankly I think the hospitals are being neglectful at this point in time. I would try the police.

If he loses it and hurts himself or someone else like family or neighbors it will be a worse problem. I hope it works out for you. Chances are he doesn't want anyone touching him because he doesn't know who you are.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree with suki. If you've taken him to a&e n they've sent him home contact the police. As others have said detoxing from alcohol without medical intervention can be dangerous.

Also maybe a good idea would be for you to visit the friends n family of alcoholics section. You'll be able to talk to like mibded people n get support for Zyou. Other there may have also experienced this situation n thus can best advise you. You may also want to take a look at the 'alcoholism' forum too.

Hope you get help for this n sorry i can't help in any other way.

Evey