Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

30 yr old single Dad, Quitting today, Please help!

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heya Guys. Thank You for taking the time to read this and perhaps help in any way possible. I have googled "Quitting Oxycodone" and came to this page and read these stories many times. I have tried to quit many times. However, Its got to the point where Im really Thinking the worst. I have a lil boy whom I love beyond words. I grew up in a divorced home and my Dad was a Biker and my Mom was rowdy as well. Needless to say, my programming is a little off. I am in no way like my family and I swore I wouldnt end up like them, but I guess I do share a few traits with them. Anyways, Pills run my life. I make great money as a Car Salesman, but We have nothing to show for it. My lil boy dont have all the toys or such. I make up for this by getting high and taking him out and doin things like hiking and such. So I suppose my addiction is helping the lil feller get a lil well rounded. I HAVE TO QUIT. The pills run his life as well and the lil guy has no idea. Hes such a good boy. His Mom left me cause of my addiction. Its so sad. Ive become a Monster. I feel like one. I really am a great person. in fact, You couldnt find anyone with anything bad to say. You may find some who have noticed my decline. Its so hard to detox at work. I have to be on my feet and talk to people all day. But I dont care if I dont sale a car or I have to quit my job. IM DONE!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ah oxycodone. My favorite drug. It took me down as well. My advice to you is just go cold turkey. I isn't something to do for fun but depending on your habit isn't all that terrible. Tapering doesn't work. From what I've seen and heard here suboxone is harder to get off of than oxy. So just do it. Take a few days off if you can and need to. I talk to the public all day and drive between appointments to boot. I couldn't take any time off so just bit the bullet. I had my wife to talk to and she was great support and knew what was going on. I could whine and complain and she understood even if she wasn't terribly sympathetic. After all I did it to myself.

If you haven't done WD before then Google the symptoms of withdrawal from oxycodone and you will find everything your going to go through in a list. Sneezing, symptoms of a cold, some depression and generally ill feeling, bowel problems, restless legs that will drive you nuts and the worst thing for me - insomnia. Everyone is different and feels different things to different levels but most everyone has the things in that list as well as others.

You obviously don't have the support of your wife and you son sounds too young but someone to talk to is helpful and if there isn't anyone you can tell then go to a meeting they will listen to and comfort you nicely.

Keep coming here and you will receive a lot of support and great information as well. We've all been there and done that or are in the process.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I havent used today. My Mom is keeping my lil boy so I can get it together. I am feeling depressed about that. I work untill 8, so all NA meetings are over. Im not concerned with work. Im getting ove this. Im eliminating all the old excuses I used to go get high. This site has a lot of good stories. Would it be bad to have a few beers a night to get through it?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joeinky View Post
I havent used today. My Mom is keeping my lil boy so I can get it together. I am feeling depressed about that. I work untill 8, so all NA meetings are over. I'm not concerned with work. I'm getting ove this. I'm eliminating all the old excuses I used to go get high. This site has a lot of good stories. Would it be bad to have a few beers a night to get through it?
The best answer to the boldfaced quote I can give you is "likely." Now, I understand there are some folks who can take or leave alcohol and some other drugs and get dragged down by one really bad one (oxycodone, like me) but for others, any mind-altering substance is a trigger to go off the deep end. We cannot give medical advice here but for me, the only way was Cold Turkey. My use ranged from 25-30 mg. a day when I was unsuccessfully trying to taper, all the way up to 150-200 mg. / day when totally out of control. C/T Detox IS tough, and depression can and likely will be part of it too. Luckily I didn't get RLS but I couldn't even hold down water for parts of 3 days puking my guts out. But after the 4th day things started to get better. I don't know how much you've been taking or for how long, or how well your underlying health is--mine wasn't too great to begin with, and everyone reacts differently.

If you feel comfortable enough to share this with a physician, they may be able to prescribe medication which will help a bit with some WD symptoms.

OTC medicine like immodium will take care of bathroom issues. I read that opiate withdrawal isn't normally considered life-threatening. My semi-educated guess is the biggest issue a person will have is dehydration, which in severe cases might presumably cause an electrolyte imbalance. During my Detox/WD I gingerly sipped protein/nutrition shakes and whatever liquids I could keep in, very important.

Even if you've never had issues with controlling alcohol intake, I still feel it's not a good idea; the goal here is to detox your system of the oxycodone, and putting more of a strain on your liver via using alcohol just doesn't seem like a good idea, but that's me. It seems as though it could be interpreted a substituting one drug for another, too, which might be problematic.

Good luck.....you can do this. If I can, you can!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank You. Im just gonna get this done. I did this, Ill fix.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, alcohol didn't help me when I was withdrawaling. The hangover the next day was the absolute worst.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Going to sleep. I cant wait until im well again.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope your sleeping. I'm not - at least not yet but hope to later for a couple hours. Skipping insomnia would be a good thing for you. I agree with oxymad and opio. Your beast will try many different ways to get you to use. You know you would feel better after all - but only very briefly and in the end you would hate yourself all over again. I guarantee that. Any use just perpetuates the self medicating that you have been doing for years. It needs to stop. If it hasn't hit you yet you will need to accept that somewhere in your mind there is an animal that thinks that someday, somehow you will be able to get high again. Eventually we have to accept that this can NEVER happen again and that you can NEVER use again. The only way to end this is to truly end it. I am back for the third and hopefully last time. Read all the others of us here who are back. In the end it has to stop and be done.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didnt sleep much at all. My stomach hurts. I dread the day. Im at work in my office just hating the fact that I have to deal witht this. Should I take a few days off of work?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would stay away from alcohol, buddy. The hangover is what got me using again when I did use my pills. Now the only thing I drink is some relaxing tea before bed. It gets alot better. The sickness is temporary
Old 07-17-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you've got the few days to take off then it might help but at the same time if you are at home with nothing to do the beast will be at you. My favorite time to use was when I was alone and could just enjoy the high. Being busy will keep the beast at bay for a while. On the other hand I was high a great deal at work so it was natural to want some pills while on the road. Hell, I guess I was just high all the time so maybe it doesn't matter but I do know that sitting alone feeling bad and knowing that a pill or two would take it all away......
Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I took a few days off work as I was sicker than sick. I thought I would die actually, Took off Thursday and Friday, and of course had Saturday and Sunday off as per the norm and by Monday I was ok to work.....
Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Still clean. Just wanting to get through this day. Tommorow im gonna go visit some family. I hope I can sleep tonight. All I did today was cry and feel sorry for my lil boy. I know I can get on my get in just a few months, I have to get through this.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ive been abusing for arpund 4 1/2 years. 3 yrs daily. Ive been taking 30 _ 120 mgs a day of Oxycodone. Basically, if I any cash, it feeds the habit.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi there, I am 5 days sober from hydrocodone and oxycodone. I was tortured through withdrawal. It felt awful. But not as bad as what I would feel if I kept going with it. Anyway, I know it is hard when you are in that state, but try to get to an NA meeting somehow someway. It works. I got sober 9 years ago from alcohol and never drank again due to AA. Then I stopped going to meetings, and doing all the wrong things and become addicted to opiates. I am now back in meetings, and believe it or not, in 5 days, I have a sponsor, working on the steps, asked God to remove the obsession and He did. Now it is up to me. I know you might be in bad physical shape right now, but you will get through it. If for nothing else, for your child. One day, one hour, one minute at a time. I am praying for you.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank You. I think the worst is my emotional state. I am hurting. Im gonna come out of this.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, the emotional state was worse than the physical for me. But I am telling you something happened to me at the lowest point on Sunday. I called out and asked the obsession to be removed and something happened and my emotional state got better. Now I have to do the work. Hang in there. You are going to get your life back.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank You. I slept a lil better last night. Today its aparent that im gonna have direa. Sorry. Im gonna try tovleave the house today and return to work thursday
Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad you slept, glad you are doing okay. Having the runs is part of it, just think of everytime you are on the toilet you are getting rid of that crap in your body. It wil only last a few days, hang in there. One time I quit pills, (didn't want too, ran out while I was at work and was on such a strong dosage the runs and vomiting hit me) I was puking in the trash at work, the runs were so bad I went in my underwear...omg...another time I had the runs at work AGAIN it got on my skirt, I had to clean that nasty yellow grime crap off my nice skirt and continue working. OH man so glad to be far away from pills now. If I can get off those things, anyone can. I am also a parent, and my daughter means the world to me. I do not want her to be raised with an addict, she deserves her real mom. And you know what/ I love my sober self. You will too. Not love me of course, but love you. HE HE. Hang in there. Poop it all out, drink LOTS OF WATER
Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh yes, get it all out by any way possible! :-) I know it temporarily sucks, but this is your life we are talking about. You are so, so fortunate to have a son. I desparately want a child and it may be in the works. But, this thing with this pills had to rear its ugly head before I became a mom in my case. Hang in there! Again, you are getting your life back. I am still praying for you and all those still suffering.