Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Xanax Detox Day Four: Dale Carnegie was an idiot (to a point)

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I am Trying

-It was Christmas and I was 12 I believe. I wanted a certain atari game. They were sold out. I was let down. I fear that in the end of this detox (which ends tomorrow) I will feel that same let down...I hope not.

DETOX DAY FOUR:
I was told today I will be finishing up tomorrow with my last dose of Librium. I explained that while I am happy if I make it with no withdraw past this, I am a bit concerned about what happens next...I mean, I will still have anxiety and nothing for it? I was told to find a Dr. to put me on zoloft or something. That can take weeks or months to get an appointment. Her answer to me was "I am not afforded the Luxury to treat you for that". Afforded Luxury???????

An afforded luxury is what exactly? I have heard the term, but lack the basic understanding. I have heard it in the context of “I allowed myself an afforded luxury by treating myself to _____.” The older I get, the more I wonder what and where these luxuries are? What does one actually afford to oneself? Short of charging something on a credit card that one cannot afford otherwise….I am lost in the concept. My lack of understanding in that area, has given me more of an understanding in the area that we have very little choices in life….the door closes on many of them due to choices we made, when we had the option to make choices. Some will say that choosing your attitude is a choice you can make. Chuck Swindoll would argue that point to his death (I believe he is still alive). I offer up the term adaptive environment. Many times, we cannot make choices. We are beholden to certain things. Things we wish not to be a part of, things we do not want to do….resentment builds and our attitude can worsen instead of being the picture perfect attitude that Dale Carnegie thought one should possess to be successful. I read (listened) to his book “How to stop Worrying and Start Living”. My take away from that book was that in order to stop worrying and start living (in the financial sense) one can write a book about it and sell a million copies, get speaking engagements from it and obviously, you worry no more (in a financial sense). I have also read (listened to) Dianetics. I found it to be…how can I say this…a bit short on the helpful track and a whole lot of what I would consider a crock of ****. Then again, here is a perfect example…the man built an empire and a religion from A BOOK, Hitler built an empire from A BOOK (badly ghost written might I add)…perhaps the afforded luxury is for me to take the time and write a book….perhaps.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hope your de tox runs smoothly...Welcome to SR...
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel you on that...Anxiety is a BITCH! But then again so is Xanax... atleast for people that use a little too much - that's the case for me. I try to not take it but there are sometimes that I really can't deal. I'm really scared of the withdrawls. I'm also on zoloft, and while it did help a bit, I can't say that it detered me from the xanax... I still feel like I need that in certain situations. It's that only thing that makes me feel like a real person. Just a little advice to you - stay away from the caffeine and excersize like your life depended on it. For me that's easier said than done... I suck at motivating myself unless I have a buddy to keep me accountable. But it really does help me feel less anxious when I do it. I feel like I have so much positive energy. My thoughts are with you.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have quit drinking but need my xanax at night to sleep and Im not giving that up.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by elizabeth1967 View Post
I have quit drinking but need my xanax at night to sleep and Im not giving that up.
Congratulations on quitting the booze!

If I took Xanax more than two nights in a row, I couldn't sleep for about three nights when I stopped. Then it would pass and I began to sleep normally again.

I don't want to end up like my mother, who also needs more and more Xanax to sleep. Her tolerance got higher and higher over the years and now she takes up to 4mg a day to deal with anxiety and sleep issues. She also offers them regularly to me as the solution to my own anxiety. Yes, my own mother was my Xanax pusher. So was her doctor, who gave her a prescription for such a huge amount that she sometimes has extras.

My problems have always been with pot, not Xanax or alcohol, but when I decided to quit getting stoned I promised myself that I would not substitute another substance for the one I was quitting.

I know it seems like you absolutely need Xanax to sleep, but it's worth talking to your doctor to see if you can taper off and find other ways to deal with a sleep disorder.

Miles