Notices

weaning off of heroin possible?

Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

weaning off of heroin possible?

My friend just confessed me today that he has restarted using heroin way more than he used to. In the past, he barely used, and he managed to quit cold turkey himself.

Now he's been using for about 6 weeks, 3-5 bags/day. He wants to wean himself down- use less and less to gradually cut down until he is at the level he was at before so that he can quit cold turkey.

He has no health insurance, and so won't go to a doctor. We have a friend who has been in and out of various local rehabs numerous times, and each time she's come out using as much or more than before, so our faith in those is shaken as well. There is one good rehab facility, but it is far more expensive and neither he nor his family can afford it.

So he wants to wean himself down... is this actually even possible? He wants my support in that, but I don't know that I can support it.
I'm the only one who is really trying to help him, but I don't know what to do- this is very largely outside my scope of experience.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know Dragon- it's probably possible but not likely success. My daughter was in pretty rough shape (oxy- but probably same method) couple of years ago and went to detox then rehab (which I paid) for 30 days. She's been clean since. I do know that many cities and mid-size towns have facilities that will put patients that can't pay in for free on gov't paid. Maybe try that?
Good luck
Dude