Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

do a drug addict need have drugs in their body in order to be admitted to rehab?

Notices

do a drug addict need have drugs in their body in order to be admitted to rehab?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My buddy says that to be admitted to drug rehab, he needs to have drugs in his system. Is that really true? He's trying to get clean without going to rehab but its not working.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I went to hospital first did they did was take blood I suppose to check out what was in my system before giving me any treatment. Don't know if they will treat you for something not in your system or not. Only my experience 22 days ago with the roxys.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

No, in my experience I did not have drugs in my system but they still accepted me. Might depend on the center but I highly doubt he needs to have drugs in his system to be admitted. That'd be counterproductive
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it may depend on the place. I know I've read of people who were denied detox because they didn't have anything in their system, yet were going through withdrawals, but I've known people who have gone into rehab with clean time under their belt.

I know if I get a yukky gut feeling about what someone's doing, I'm usually right. Rarely, I'll find out that I was wrong, but even then..as long as I'm doing what I need to do to detach from them and their problems, then it's okay with me.

He's either telling you the truth, or he's lying so he can use. Either way, it's on him. It's hard to step back, I know - both an RA (recovering addict) and recovering codie, but it's the only thing that's kept my sanity, peace and serenity.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-18-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been to 10 rehab facilities during my addiction and sense sober have also worked at one, and just to tell you simply what I have seen with my own eyes, people coming in testing negative for narcotics are still monitored, blood pressure, heart rate, etc. and giving detox med's accordingly if needed, same with alcohol. On the other hand some are moved directly to the full 'rehab' schedule. This is very vague info there is a lot more that also goes into it with doctors, etc. To answer your question, No you do not need drugs it your system.