Notices

Opiate w/d need to talk to someone.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiate w/d need to talk to someone.

I'm day 3 coming off opiates. Feeling like crap of course, but I really want to talk to someone bc no one knows I'm going through this. Not my husband, friends, no one! Has anyone found that joining a community or having a sponsor-type person has been benificial. Just tired of going through this by myself...again!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes yes yes, I have found that being around people that are in recovery to be very beneficial. I love this site because I can pop in here anytime of the day or night and get support or give support or find someone going thru what I've gone thru or going thru. I also do meetings of NA and AA. Day 3 is a rough day. It gets better each day. I hope you can hang on till you start feeling some relief and then get into some program of your choice to help with the mental obsession after you get thru this physical part. I really felt so good mentally with support it just takes time, and commitment to being clean. Hope your day gets brighter and better.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your encouragement!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Grab on to everything you can!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you made it down here tmrobin

D
Old 12-01-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Any better today?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

little...

Today was better. Didn't take any xanax, just tried to work through the anxiety...that's the worst for me. Looking forward to next week to be done w the worst. Just still wish the desire for the drugs would be gone. Does that happen?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me, the cravings have never completely left. They seem to wax and wane, but it does get better. This has been why vigilant participation in a recovery program has been crucial to me. Long periods of time tend to give me an illusion of control, which weakens me. **** happens, and the cravings can rear their head, and there I can be without support.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

They cravings go away. They can be triggered by a crisis but not using is the answer and poof the craving goes away. I think they get less and less as time goes on. In the early days it's constant your head says yes and you say no it's a battle but it gets easier later.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

just wishing you luck on your clean time hun xx Karma
Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

tmrobin,

It does eventually get better, but you have to be patient. I went through an extremely long detox due to my length of time using & the amount I was coming off. I'm 84 days clean & am getting back to my old self. For some reason I went to a meeting about 7 days into my detox & was very suspicious. It has become the thing that has saved my life. I tried to do it on my own for way too long with horrendous results. I now have a terrific sponsor, but was 2 1/2 months in before I found the right one.

Good luck, be strong & you can do this. Everyday that goes by, you will feel better.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I too had a long detox. I came off a very heavy opiate and alcohol addiction at the same time. I tried to do it at home cold turk , but couldn't make it more than a few days before I ended up in the er. It was a good thing cus those alcohol withdrawls can kill. For me , the cravings never went away , but my understanding of what they were and what caused them changed. I can say I am no longer a slave to my own will It will get better , much better.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement. Just trying to maintain with the anxiety now. I know in the grand scheme things will get better, it's just being in the thick of it that is so hard. Congrats on your recovery!!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Robin, I too am going through opiate withdrawal at this very moment, Day 11 without them as I've been on them for 4 years.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Lost In Translation

opiates are anything like......pills, or stuff like heroin or......what exactly are opiates?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiate