Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Desperately need help to Quit psychoactive Substances

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, My names Matt i'm 19 years old and I've been abusing psychoactives since I was 14 when I first got drunk. And I really need some advice on quitting because I can't stop and it's slowly killing me. I'll do pretty much anything that "messes you up" but my main problem substances were alcohol ,Marijuana and Opiates, especially the opiates.

I have litte sisters that are 6, 8 and 9 that i need to be thinking of and the fact that my mom desperately wants me to quit.

I've destroyed my house when I've come home drunk before punching holes in the walls and stuff, It kills me thinking about that.

Pretty much all the friends I have abuse Marijuana so it's hard to stay away from it, at the moment I'm clean but I know that won't last long

My younger brother who's 17 also abuses drugs except he has no intentions of quitting, and I don't really want him putting my recovery at risk.

So how do I deal with this mess of a situation
Old 12-01-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

stop doing drugs
Old 12-01-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you think this is some kind of Joke?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My advice is to go to your doctor and be honest with him/her and ask for help. Then find an NA or AA meeting and work the program. The answer is simple, but it isn't easy. You have to want to stop and that will entail a radical change in your lifestyle, including your friends. Good luck to you.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by Matt345 View Post
Do you think this is some kind of Joke?
No. It's quite serious, sir. Stop doing drugs and your life will improve in a big way. You asked a question and I gave you an answer. The answer. Sorry it was a short one but when all the bull5shit's over and done that's what is left.

Stop doing drugs.

Or die.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

90 meetings in 90 days you say you abuse opiates do you have a habit? When you dont have them do you go into withdrawl if so its a little harder but not impossible.You have to really want it.19 yrs old is a great place to start you have your whole life ahead of you.The first time I got sober I wasnt much older then you had I stuck with it I could have saved myself alot of greif time and money. Keep posting and reading here but your best shot is AA or NA. Stick around buddy there's lots of good soberiety here
Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tbeit View Post
90 meetings in 90 days you say you abuse opiates do you have a habit? When you dont have them do you go into withdrawl if so its a little harder but not impossible.You have to really want it.19 yrs old is a great place to start you have your whole life ahead of you.The first time I got sober I wasnt much older then you had I stuck with it I could have saved myself alot of greif time and money. Keep posting and reading here but your best shot is AA or NA. Stick around buddy there's lots of good soberiety here

I wouldn't say it's gotten to that point yet but I do an oxy 80 maybe every 3 days and that's not normal at all.
I've sold stuff to get money for pain pills and I've attempted to steal my grandmas pain pills.

My dad had a problem with Opiates that eventually led to his death, i'm sure many others around here have the same story and that's how I know I'm an addict

And generally if I have the money for it my drug of choice would be opiates, i've even attempted to buy heroin before in the ghetto. Luckily a cop knew I was up to no good and told me to get out of there.

One more question I have is how do I get my drug using friends to stop coming around?
Should I threaten to call the police on them?

Another thing is my brother brings them around as well because he is still actively using.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

tell your brother that you're trying to quit and to stay away from you if he has dope. tell your friends you no longer want to be around dope and to not come around if they have dope.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i've even attempted to buy heroin before in the ghetto.

That scares me.

One more question I have is how do I get my drug using friends to stop coming around?

Once you start to get some recovery you'll see that those people will avoid you like the plague.Its a buzz kill for them.I would recomend you dont try to talk your friends into quitting with you its hard enough keeping yourself sober in early recovery.When I was new I had a sponser who told me its a "selfish program" meaning you have to hold YOUR soberiety up front. I wouldnt threaten them with the cops too much drama. Your disease loves drama and chaos takes your focus the big picture. Hopfully your brother will see all the good things happening for you and he will want what you will hopefully have soberiety. Once again keep posting you can do this
Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tbeit View Post
Your disease loves drama and chaos takes your focus the big picture.
Wow i never thought of that but it's so true.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words people, Another question Is I was drinking heavily aswell, and I'm sure my liver has taken a beating what are some foods and drinks that promote liver health?

honestly this is like waking up from a 4 and a half year comma...

But I'm gonna do it because being sober is way better than constantly being in a drug induced haze.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
tell your brother that you're trying to quit and to stay away from you if he has dope. tell your friends you no longer want to be around dope and to not come around if they have dope.
I certainly hope you are not professing this to be a solution.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

basIam,

Windy is a very smart guy. He's much respected by our community here. He's been around a long time. He has a good deal of clean time. Stick around, you'll see.

He also is famous for having very bad gas.

Love,

Lenina
Old 12-08-2009, 11:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lightbulb nephew died

Hey Matt I had a nephew who was addictced to all sorts of stuff like you are talking about. His mom went to a pain clinic and he would take her meds. I know its hard when ur around it. Maybe going to meeting and finding out maybe renting a place with someone that dont use... its a hard situation. maybe the one that uses should go to a place for detox since he is underage maybe ur mom or dad could make that happen.he was taking my sister oxys from her 80 mg.... if u see my past post u will see what happens... its scary and it devastates the whole family... here i am, the aunt he looked up too who got off hydros now coming off tramadol. we are human and flawed. we have to take it one day..one hour...one min..one sec thats all we can do.. meetings and this site is a GOD SEND...i promise that. take care matt ur in my prayers...

Last edited by polkadot; 12-08-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 12-09-2009, 04:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
No. It's quite serious, sir. Stop doing drugs and your life will improve in a big way. You asked a question and I gave you an answer. The answer. Sorry it was a short one but when all the bull5shit's over and done that's what is left.

Stop doing drugs.

Or die.
Oh Windysan, man of few words....right to the point and right on!

Matt345,
There are many things you will have to do to help yourself. First, I would let your mother know about you and your brother, if she doesn't already. Get yourself in rehab if you need to, or at the very least meetings and a sponser. Get rid of those "friends", if they are your trigger. That means getting rid of phone numbers, changing your number. Have your brother check out this site. Seriously, there are enough stories of death, tragedy, ruined lives of both the addicts and their families to be very sobering. You and your brother will never reach your aspirations and goals al long as there are drugs in your life. They will consume you, waste your life, hurt the very people that love you the most, cause long term health issues and kill you.

Drugs ruined my 22 year old son's life. He went from his third year of college to sleeping on someone's couch, making just enough money to pay for the "rent" on the couch and his drugs. The track marks in his arms are infected and abcessed. The infection has traveled into his spine and now is eating the bones (osteomylitis). He has been in jail 4 times and has a record. He will never get a decent job because of his record. He is a bright articulate young man, who wanted to become an attorney or psychiatrist. Now he only wants his drugs and along with that comes a death wish. One of the perks of using. He has blown his entire college fund, crashed two cars, drove through my garage door (twice), is in debt for over $50,000, has sold everything he owns, lost his driver's license and has no transportation. He has dug a hole so deep, that he doesn't know how to climb out of it.

You seem to realize that you have a problem and want to stop. You are taking a pill every three days or so, why not stop before it becomes everyday, then numerous times per day, then snorting, then shooting. You get the picture. Do what you have to do to stop. Only you know what your triggers are. Get rid of the triggers.

Good luck.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words people, Another question Is I was drinking heavily aswell, and I'm sure my liver has taken a beating what are some foods and drinks that promote liver health?

Time my friend Time! If you stop now while your young you should be fine. The pain pills are so bad for you way too much tynenol and to add alcohol its just not good.

Keep coming back
Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I use a milk thistle supplement to boost my liver health, and I also take a super B Complex each day. I heard about it from a man during a meeting who was on a liver transplant list. His son told him to take that supplement, and he managed to get off of the transplant list using it. Hope that helps ya out a little bit.