Notices

Help! It's all too speedy?

Old 11-13-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help! It's all too speedy?

I'm on day 4 of no opiates after weaning myself for the last 2 weeks.
I started to go CT but after some great advise here decided to go the kinder gentler way....thanks all.

I am doing 'ok' but not too comfortable with the endless amount of energy(?) I feel. My mind races constantly, I can't concentrate, I haven't slept a solid night in days and my body is really twitchy.
My legs jump all night and my breathing is really fast?

Is this normal??!! I tried melatonin B12 and valerian but I don't think it's helping.

Anybody going/gone through this?
I'm a chronic worrier so have now got myself convinced I'm never going to sleep/relax again!!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
crazy vampire addict

day four is fantastic! good for you! i went through what you are describing when i first got clean a few months back. the withdrawals were horrible. even now, i still get restless legs when i work myself up and think about using. cravings are my challenge right now. i am working on that daily in outpatient therapy and NA meetings. is that an option for you? they really do help to ease some of the anxiety, like when you feel your heart is just beating out of your chest. i get that a lot. the herbal remedies didn't work for me either. neither did benedryl for sleeping. just made my restless legs worse, though some people swear by it. wouldn't hurt to give it a try though so long as you take it in the correct therapeutic dose on the bottle.

what you're experiencing though...it's normal. don't get yourself all worked up over it because that just increases the anxiety you are already feeling.

congrats on four days. keep up the good work!
Old 11-13-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Finding My Way

Totally normal. It will all even out eventually. Don't worry so much.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for taking the time to post - I appreciate the feedback!!
Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your doing well , keep up the good work !!

Joe (a fellow BC'er)
Old 11-13-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
its a half an inch of water

another day

I remember some relief from symptoms like yours around day 5 or 6. A warm shower and clean sheets were soothing - little actions like laundry or hygiene were helpful when I was mired in depression - though I didn't feel like doing anything
give it another day and let us know how you are doing
Old 11-14-2009, 03:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AfterForever View Post
Don't worry so much.
When I think of how worried I was I wonder if I was subconsciously acting out an absurdist melodrama. Seriously, just don't worry so much, really. I know it can feel like a paranormal anxiety, but don't worry about it. It is what it is.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yah I'm pretty sure I've "worked" myself into a bit of a state for sure.....

Need to stop thinking

Thanks All!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, this is all part of normal opiate withdrawal. You have boat loads of energy, but it's basically useless because it's not like you can concentrate enough to get anything done. You are on day 4 though, you're almost there! It should get better after tomorrow, and then in just a couple days you'll feel so so much better. 7 days and you're home free. Hang in there, the worst is over! In fact you wrote this yesterday, so you're probably already feeling better.

I have mad respect for anyone who can go through withdrawals ct. I just stopped doing heroin a week ago but switched to suboxone after a day cause I just couldn't handle it. You're amazing!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also, I've noticed that the psychological stuff like depression/anxiety from opioid withdrawals gets better on day 6-7. Then again everyone is different, but I promise, you'll feel much better very soon, physically and in your head.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Was lovestruck by drugs

yes, I would have the endless energy at night and still do slightly. I drink my chamomile tea at night and that seems to help. The racing thoughts constantly moving and tossing and turning at nights. It gets better...it's been seven days for me and I am sleeping and feel like the panicky state I was in has passed. You are doing great!!! It will get better.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

during withdrawal, I was told (by a nurse) to "borrow" someone elses brain for awhile. It really helped me not to go overboard on my thinking.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is totally normal. What you describe is the result of the following:

When you are on opioids, which is a central nervous system depressant, your body compensates for the depressive effect of the drugs by over-producing various other neuro-transmitters and hormones. These can be roughly equated to 'adrenaline', the body's natural 'fight or flight' drug. Obviously, it is a stimulant in nature.

When you quit taking opioids, you have a brain that is accustomed to over-producing adrenaline, and it takes a little while for the brain to come back into balance with regards to it's production of this stimulant.

This imbalance causes many of the common side-effects associated with withdrawals, most prominently the insomnia, the loss of appetite, the nervous energy, bouncing legs during the day and 'kicking' when trying to sleep, the 'chattiness', and very often a vague sense of panic and feeling like you are in danger of dying (even though you are not).

Congrats on day 4+. Keep on keeping on ... it does go away, I promise you that your brain chemistry will recover These adrenaline-related side-effects can be lingering (lasting longer than the 'feeling terrible' part does), but it is nearly always sorted out after a month at the longest.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I find bval's posts so comforting for some reason
Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
crazy vampire addict

Originally Posted by lillie View Post
I find bval's posts so comforting for some reason
He's like warm cocoa on a cold night, isn't he??
Old 11-16-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You all are really kind for sharing your knowledge and words of wisdom - I truly am grateful for everyone here : )
Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Aw shucks girls ...

I think it's just the pic of Lil' Willie John, + the Beatles quote ... they're getting to ya
Old 11-18-2009, 04:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's always helpful to read information about the biophysical nature of what's happening to you in regards to this, there's so little information and education about it that it can feel as mystic and apocalyptic as everyone thinks it is.