Notices

Rational Recovery

Old 09-14-2003, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Leon

Rational Recovery

Has anyone here had any success with the rational recovery program.

Old 09-14-2003, 09:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

No.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

what is it?
Old 09-14-2003, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We have a listing for 12 step alternatives.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/1...ernatives.html

phoenix
Old 09-16-2003, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leon

Smile

Originally posted by phoenix
We have a listing for 12 step alternatives.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/1...ernatives.html

phoenix
I know, I was curious if anyone had tried this particular program.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally posted by Leon
I know, I was curious if anyone had tried this particular program.
So are you considering trying it? Or have you already?

And what are your plans for the future use of drugs?

phoenix
Old 09-17-2003, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Leon,

I quickly read the link. It's just another way of linking to people in recovery. You need to find what works best for your to stay clean. It seems that, that link is connected to people who don't connect at AA/NA meeting or so they think and this is some sort of alternative. I love my NA meetings and choose to stick with other addicts. That forum may not have the same traditions my meetings have. I didn't go into that kind of detail. Keep writing and getting advice here though. I would like to get to know you better.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Leon

Looking for alternative.

I'm in NA right now. Its all have I at the moment. Left my Kaiser CDRP group. I like being in a sober community, but dont feel like the na/aa structure is exactly for me. But really like meeting with other people and just talking. So I'm seeing what other alternatives are out there. Keeping an open mind.

Old 09-21-2003, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Theres nothing rational about recovery ..... just kidding.

Is that the one that was denounced by one of it's proponents/founders after they crossed the centerline while under the influence and wound up being charged with vehicular manslaughter?
Old 09-21-2003, 08:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Leon

I dont know actually. The still trying figure what their about.Just wondering if anyone else has had positive or negative results from program. NOt trying to offend anyone.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My reply would be if it sounds interesting and it will help your recovery process; JUST GO FOR IT!!!! Everybody does what they need to do to help them stay clean and serene. I for one stick with NA. It is working for me. Every program as long as their goal is to help addicts whereever they are coming from should work. Just reach out to it and see what happens; let me know how it worked for you? I in the mean time get perfect joy from the members of NA. Keep coming back! What is your story? Like to get to know about you?
Old 09-22-2003, 11:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally posted by Gooch
Theres nothing rational about recovery ..... just kidding.

Is that the one that was denounced by one of it's proponents/founders after they crossed the centerline while under the influence and wound up being charged with vehicular manslaughter?
That was one that advocated drinking in moderation.RR has some interesting and useful techniques for abstaining.Unfortunately the founder,Jack Trimpey has a rabid hatred for all twelve step recovery programs.If a person could just use the techniques and not get caught up in the anti AA crusade,it would be interesting.

SMART uses a lot of the same stuff,but without the hysterical ranting about the evils of 12 step movements.

phoenix
Old 09-12-2005, 05:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dan

Bump.
Just for sh!ts and giggles
Jon's reply made me blow jello through my nose.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Bump.
Just for sh!ts and giggles
Kinda short! Most of the Kaiser CDRP programs in the SF Bay Area now have LifeRing meetings on the premises, right next to the AA and NA meetings. I wonder if Leon found them.

Doorknob
Old 09-12-2005, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Oh, our poor Dell.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by stormyautumn
Know of one person who is doing it. Not exactly my cup of tea although I don't even know what kind of tea I like yet..hehe..Her's the link
http://www.rational.org/
I like the premise, but want something with a f2f support element as well. I believe LifeRing/SOS to be my cup of tea, but there aren't any tea parties near me! Oh yeah, Dan bumped this thread from Sept. 2003!

Paul
Old 09-12-2005, 06:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by stormyautumn
Oh yeah the one thing I didn't like about it is they charge you for membership and subscriptions. Doesn't seem like they want to help just get your money.
That too! But you can get what you need from the website for free.

DK
Old 09-14-2005, 01:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

About 15 years ago, before I found real sobriety in CA & AA, I used to occasionally attend RR meetings (it was both curiosity and a rebound thing with some 12-step meetings where I was having a tough time swallowing the reality that I was the problem).

I recall it being novel & provocative at first, but godless and ultimately ineffective. I don't remember the 12-step slamming but I didn't care much for sitting there watching video tapes. One premise was that you eventually get "cured", therefore end the temporary RR "treatment" and then grow new legs and go back to drinking (using) like a gentleman......yeah right!!

There's no way I could or would recommend RR. I tried every imaginable remedy, but it was the mighty 12-steps that kept me clean & sober and saved my life. AA (and it's progeny) is the most powerful program for change ever invented (or inspired).
Old 09-14-2005, 03:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Smile When I

was new in on line recovery...sober for 3/4 years...
I first heard of RR on another site.

They dashed in and out of Chat there and never stayed to explain their program.

I asked and asked...'What is RR?"

Eventually a a chat regular hollered at me..
"Repellant Ravings"
Old 09-14-2005, 07:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by sumtimes slowly
About 15 years ago, before I found real sobriety in CA & AA, I used to occasionally attend RR meetings (it was both curiosity and a rebound thing with some 12-step meetings where I was having a tough time swallowing the reality that I was the problem).

I recall it being novel & provocative at first, but godless and ultimately ineffective. I don't remember the 12-step slamming but I didn't care much for sitting there watching video tapes. One premise was that you eventually get "cured", therefore end the temporary RR "treatment" and then grow new legs and go back to drinking (using) like a gentleman......yeah right!!

There's no way I could or would recommend RR. I tried every imaginable remedy, but it was the mighty 12-steps that kept me clean & sober and saved my life. AA (and it's progeny) is the most powerful program for change ever invented (or inspired).
Personally I'm not a big fan of RR founder Jack Tripany (sp) but the program does have some useful CBT tools to use toward staying sober. Perhaps the program has changed in 15 years, but I know that currently they do not have "meetings" and it is a program of abstainance, not moderation. While they do promote the view that you do not have to attend "meetings" or "work a program" for the rest of your life in order to stay sober, they do not advocate retruning to drinking or using in any form, to my knowledge. As mentioned before SMART uses most of the same tools without all the AA bashing. A better approach IMHO.