Notices

Questions About Withdrawal From MS Contin

Old 12-20-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rozied

Questions About Withdrawal From MS Contin

Does anyone having any experience with getting off MS Contin? I have had 8 back surgeries, the last one was a Spinal Revision in 2005. Since the Revision I am feeling alot better and want get off all medication. The only one I am still taking is MS Contin. I know oneday when I ran out by the time my husband got home from my dr with it I was very sick. I could not stop vomiting. Within 15minutes of taking one I was ok so I know it was from withdrawal. Now I am really afraid to stop taking it. How do you get off medication like this?
Any information would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love it when questions are simple.

You talk to your doctor, tell him your concerns.

In the end, getting off of morphine is just like getting off of any other opioid. If you want it to hurt as little as possible, you wean down to a very low dosage over a period of time, then you quit. It'll be awhile before you cross that bridge, but when you get there, there's lots of us that can tell you ideas on how to best tolerate the withdrawals that will occur.

They'll be a lot less if you get weaned down first, typically it's not that difficult to get your dose down low enough that you're not puking your guts out when you stop. Avoiding things like malaise, cravings, 'the runs', and insomnia, though, are virtually impossible no matter how low you wean, but again, their severity can be sustantially mitigated by doing so.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rozied

Thank you so much for responding. I will wean down to the least amt I can take without getting violently ill. I will also ask my dr about it.
I really appreciate your answering.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

rozied...To add to what BV replied, here is a list of rehabs that are in your state....
Drug Rehab Pennsylvania

There are phone numbers listed so if that is a route you might consider, why not call a few and check them out?
You also might want to consider working with an Addictionologist since you have chronic pain issues.
Good luck and if you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask/post/PM!
Jane
Old 12-21-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rozied

Thanks Jane, I really appreciate it.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As far as the taper, maybe you could talk to your doctor and you and he/she can put you on a taper schedule. That way, its medically supervised, and if you become more uncomfortable than you can stand, he/she can probably help you with that also.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rozied

Thanks CCgirl.