Notices

Trying to live codeine free

Old 09-11-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Trying to live codeine free

The Plan.

I have been sober for 6 days. I am tapering down my pills as of this morning and hope to be clean in 9 days.
Then I have to try and live without these pills which have got me through the last four years. I haven't got a clue how to do that.
I have got off them before and felt so flat and drained. Does this feeling ever go away?

Anyway, 9 days to day 1. Spread the pills out so I got no buzz off them whatsoever. Felt a bit rough early evening and not feeling too fantastic right now, but I know all this will pass.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I took codeine for years and i can say that the temptation to use will pass.
You can do it for sure!

keep posting....K?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I have a whole drawer full of tapering schedules. I hope you do better than I did trying that on my own!
Let me know if it doesn't work out tapering, if you want some suggestions.
Most addicts, but not all, don't do well tapering alone. I hope you are the exception to the rule on that and I wish you well. I also wish you'd make a meeting if you haven't. Love from:
KJ
Old 09-12-2008, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Yes, I will try to get to my first NA meeting next week. For some reason, it doesn't scare me like the thought of AA did. I've accepted I'm an addict for a long time, but just been struggling with it alone. I know I can't do it alone - KJ, I too have a drawer full!! It's not the getting off them, it's the staying off. I need to learn how to live without them - feel like a baby learning to walk!

Anyway, 8 days to go. Feel like death on a stick. 7 days sober though, can't believe it!!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Lost
I was a codeine abuser too. Took otc - nurofen+ up to 40 per day at my worst. Taper can be very successful for loads of people............. have you visited the site CodeineFree - Codeine free is a support group primarily for people with problems with codeine based OTC medicines............... its terrific - lots of people recovering from otc and prescribed codeine............. tons of information and support from people all round the UK................ it can give you such support.
There is a member there from Norwich who is recently clean from codeine and his story is inspirational.
Take care......... you can do this............ yep you will feel dreadful while you are tapering or doing c/t - but 5 days clean and you will be thro the worst............ lingering fatigue and insomnia will last a bit longer - but not much..........
Spent a year at a graduate Cambridge college myself! Behind Fenners............... one of the best years of my life!!
woops
Old 09-12-2008, 03:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Thanks woops. N+ is exactly what I take! I knew exactly what I was doing when I started taking it, but I was different and would be the first person in history to take opiates and handle it!!:rotfxko
Look forward to day 5.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For sure that feeling passes, you just have to give it some time, every one recovers at a different rate, but ... you WILL recover and feel normal again...typically, it takes between a week and a month, and since you're habit was only to codeine, and not *that* much of it, I'm betting for you it'll be closer to the shorter end of the spectrum.

I also recommend MEETINGS!!! AA/NA, either one (sounds like they both fit for you anyways) or both ... is a great idea! Keep up the good work, you can do it Think of how fast a couple or three weeks usually goes by, that's really all you have to tough out here, and then ... FREEDOM!!!

It's so worth it, butterfly, and you are worth it. Keep posting, and let us know how you're doing. We've (almost) all been there, done that, and would love to be of service.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Thanks guys, you have been lovely. Was finding it quite tough tonight, but feel stronger now. Got restless legs, should be a fun and sleepless night! Woe betide any cat that sleeps on my bed!

You're right, is only codeine. My ex b/f was a heroin addict when I met him. He did get off it but did take codeine occasionally afterwards. I think that's why I never thought it was too much of a big deal, until I tried to stop.

It has become quite the comfort blanket and because it is quite subtle, I can work, be a good mum, everything. It doesn't cause all the havoc that alcohol has in my life. But I just can't get enough of it anymore and I don't want to go any further down this road!
Old 09-13-2008, 03:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Day 3 of the great taper plan (day 8 no alcohol)

Think I shall make this the last day of the tapering. I looked at my paltry supply of pills for the next six days and just thought - what is the point? I already feel sorry for myself and the blahs have made themselves right at home today. May as well just jump in and hope the water's fine or that I'll get used to it some day.
I was feeling so upbeat about not drinking, but today it's all gone a bit flat. Poo! Poor me!
Old 09-13-2008, 04:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't have any personal experience with codeine but I just wanted to say that I am glad you are here seeking a better life. You can do it. 8
Old 09-13-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Thanks Hope. I have just chucked my next six days pills in the toilet and flushed them away. Feel better already. Can't have them in the house. Can't even look at an empty wine glass at the moment.
Me and addict voice had a heated debate over the toilet, discussing whether we should throw them away or take the lot just for this one last time. Just for once, I won! Mainly because I knew I would have to admit it on here. SR is the one place I have promised myself to be completely honest on! Might extend to me being honest with myself!!
Old 09-13-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am soooooo proud of you Lost!!! Good job on flushing those pills!!! I know that was a HUGE move and I know it wasn't easy! I'm smiling from ear to ear! You just took a huge positive step towards your recovery. Strength comes in the moments like these. You grow and move forward. Wow, that was amazing news!!
Old 09-13-2008, 05:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Woohoo! This calls for a celebration! 8

Old 09-13-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I've had a pretty chaotic week and haven't been on SR as much as usual so this is the first opportunity I've had to read this thread. From the very first time I read the word taper, I found myself saying, "Just get rid of them." Then to see you post that you just flushed em, I actually let out a very loud, "Yes!" and in the process, I spilled an entire can of Diet Pepsi all over my desk. But that's ok!

My only experience with Codeine is knowing that I am extremely allergic to it, but my DOC was opiate pain pills. I had a huge habit . . . most Dr.'s think that I am exaggerating the truth on how many I took but that's not what I'm getting at. I have to agree with Bvaljalo about the shorter end of the spectrum. Granted, the next 3 to 5 days, you're not going to be feeling the greatest but from experience, I 've learned that if you focus on how crappy you feel, you're going to feel pretty crappy. But if you try not to focus on it, keep busy, nap when you'e tired, distract yourself from thinking about it, things will be a lot easier. And now is the perfect time to get to NA and or AA Meetings. I'm also an alcoholic but first and foremost, I'm an addict. But I go to more AA Meetings for several reasons, mainly there are a lot more AA Meetings in the area where I l live. SR is a fantastic support system, but in my opinion, getting to know people in Reccovery who are working a Program and working one yourself, is the key to how I have been able to remain Clean and Sober for over three years.

If you need "to talk" feel free to PM me.

Keep it Simple . . . One Day at A Time,
Judy
Old 09-13-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats lostbutterfly! :bounce That is awesome to hear! I was addicted to Lortab and there was NO way I could ever flush 'em. So, kudos to you. You're on the right track. Best of luck to you.

:praying for you.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Thanks, wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing.

But this morning started poo, and when I went to get today's pills, I opened all the compartments for the next six days and thought hmmmm............me, alone, with all this!! I only took my little allocation for the morning, but they were on my mind. My mind is my biggest enemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad I did it now. It won't be too bad physically to go to nothing from where I am now coz I've cut down over the last three days. I expect to live!!!!!!!!

Thanx for support. I have not been wildly successful giving these things up in the past, but I have never asked for help before. It makes such a difference not being alone.

AA is much closer to me than NA and I am only going there at the moment. The painkiller/alcohol thing was so intertwined with me, I'm not sure which one would be best. It's all just drugs to me!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

End of Day 0. Took so few today, felt like my first day clean, but there's no rush. It took me years to get here!

Day 1 tomorrow.:bounce. I'm going to pretend I feel as happy about it as that little bouncing smilie!!

Thanks all. You made a difference, don't think I would have got through today without you. Off to watch Desperate Housewives!
Old 09-14-2008, 12:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Day 1
Cracking headache, dodgy stomach. Enough about that. On the plus side, my kidneys haven't hurt for a few days.
I can do anything for 10 minutes at a time! (I'm not ready to do one day at a time!)Potter round and catch up on things that haven't been getting done because I am always on SR!!
AA meeting tonight, only my second. On my first, I was full of pills, not that they worked!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

So much for getting things done. Poo day. Had to go back to bed in the middle of it. Feel very detached from reality, very foggy.
Wish I could carry on taking them. Wish they would make me feel like they used to, that's the real truth.
Hope tomorrow's better. Focusing on the positive, I'm not all puffed up especially round my ankles, from fluid retention (think it was from ibuprofen that came with the codeine, don't know). Sometimes my eyes were so puffed in the morning, I could hardly open them.
Roll on end of Day 1!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Day 2
Major case of the self-pities this morning. Took a load of pro-plus and feel better now.
I think I may have turned a corner.
Felt so much better after AA meeting yesterday. Met someone else I knew. So that's where everyone has been!!
Going to take things really slow today. No rushing about, even if I'm late for somewhere.