Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Never thought I'd be posting this, but I need help. (Oxy & WD's)

Notices

Never thought I'd be posting this, but I need help. (Oxy & WD's)

Old 07-16-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I don't miss being dopesick.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Nah, Windy, c'mon man, you know you love it!

I mean, what's not to LOVE about being dopesick, really?

It's a total blast!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
Nah, Windy, c'mon man, you know you love it!

I mean, what's not to LOVE about being dopesick, really?

It's a total blast!

yer tryin to make a funny, ain't ya?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What up NA? Howz your taper coming brother?
Old 07-19-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Dropped to one yesterday. No big deal.

I actually have no problem sleeping, the runs have disappeared, and my body isn't a sore as it was.

The worst part now is the anxiety. I feel like I'm going a mile-a-minute all day long. Oh, that and the mental cravings are no picnic either.

Still, I know this could be MUCH worse than it has been.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

You eating anything?
Old 07-19-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yup.

Although not as much as I normally would.

I've dropped some weight, that's for sure.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ok, I managed to get by with one dose again yesterday.

This is starting to suck. Yup, really, really suck.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This is bad.

Since I've tapered myself down dramatically, these very low and infrequent doses hit me hard. They give me that warm and euphoric feeling, and boost my energy levels through the roof.

D-day is going to be a bitch, if nothing else, the psychological element will hurt the most.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm still stuck at 2. I've tried a few days at 1, but it isn't much fun.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Easy does it my friend. You're doing awesome brother!

Sounds to me like it's time to start breaking the two doses further down into 4 halves, and moving down to 3 (1.5 of the original dose size, IOW) half-doses a day, spread out over the course of the day. You don't want to be taking enough at one time to actually 'feel extra good', you just want enough to make you functional. Smaller doses spread out over the day is the better way to taper, IMHO.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
Easy does it my friend. You're doing awesome brother!

Sounds to me like it's time to start breaking the two doses further down into 4 halves, and moving down to 3 (1.5 of the original dose size, IOW) half-doses a day, spread out over the course of the day. You don't want to be taking enough at one time to actually 'feel extra good', you just want enough to make you functional. Smaller doses spread out over the day is the better way to taper, IMHO.
Funny that you mention that...

On my way home from work, I was thinking about what my next move should be. I have 12 doses left. However, each dose is obviously too strong for my intentions, as it gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling - which I am trying to overcome.

I did plan on halving the doses so that I'll have 24.

You make a good point about spacing them out as well. Right now, I take one at noon and at midnight. I'm "warm" for about 1/2 an hour, and have a ton of energy for about 6 hours. Then my body starts to crave - I get anxious, my heart rate increases, and I find myself counting the hours left to the next dose. I can deal with the first two - it's the last part that worries me. Right now, weening off hasn't been the worst thing in the world because I have that safety blanket of knowing there will be another dose. However, when the well runs dry, the reality of what I am doing will really sink in.

And that scares the hell out of me...
Old 07-26-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Ok,

This anxiety sucks ass!

I've been taking half doses (3.3mg) a few times a day (2-3). This does not produce the warm, fuzzy feeling at all. In fact, the only way that I know I took anything is the few hours of relative relaxation. It may also have to do with the pseudo-placebo effect of just knowing I took something.

Now, while I don't have the severe withdrawal symptoms like the runs, nausea, body aches, extreme lethargy, etc..., the ever-present anxiety that results when the dose wears off is awful.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this (aside from seeking a benzo prescription). Also, how long does this last?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hang in there!!! This part does suck but it does get better. From all I've read, everyone is different, but for me, I went from 200 to 250mg of vicodin per day down to zero very abruptly and the physical stuff was nothing compared to the anxiety. With your tapering, it will probably prolong the process, but will also make it a bit better in the long run.

So, definitely 3-4 days of the WD flu, and another few days of bad anxiety, then it gets better every day. By day 14 I felt pretty good and was able to get back into life without faking it. Another week later and I felt amazing. Like a whole new person.

The only thing I can say with 100% certainty is that taking a walk always helped me with the anxiety. That and coming here and reading about all the other people who have been through the same thing you're going through. And writing about it. HANG IN THERE!!! YOU'RE DOING GREAT!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Smile Tapering The Oxy

Hi. My opinion is, I would not even bother trying to taper off of this medication. If you can cold turkey, more power to you. I tried that and did not last a day. The withdrawls were so bad I could not stand it. Believe it or not, Suboxone is a very good drug. I just started it for my opiate addiction and it does wonders for your withdrawal symptoms. Don't be afraid of a short term drug that is going to help you. Talk to your doctor. You don't need to be in a treatment center to get suboxone. Any doctor can prescribe it to you. I would ask for 2mg taper. I understand you think you may get addicted to sub but more likely than not, you won't. Even though it has narcotic like features, it only blocks the receptors in your brain so that opiates cannot get through into your molecular receptor site. I hope this helps some. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!!
Originally Posted by NeverAgain123 View Post
Ok people,

Here is my story (and I'm sure it will be eerily familiar to a lot of you):

I had major surgery about 9 years ago. I recovered very quickly and was fine in a matter of weeks.

Fast forward about 6-1/2 years...

I re-aggravated my injury, but not enough to need surgery. Instead, the Dr. prescribed hydrocodone for the pain. I didn't have all that many - maybe 2 prescriptions for 60 each of the 7.5mg pills. This was back in September of 2006. Believe it or not, the prescriptions lasted me until mid-January of 2007. I didn't abuse them, but I really liked how they made me feel. It was sort of a "treat" for me at the end of the day. To be totally honest, I didn't think it was much of a problem even though I didn't really need them for the pain. Some people have a drink after a long day - I took a pill.

Then the problems started. I knew my doctor wouldn't prescribe any more medication. In fact, my only option was for periodic pain clinic visits for injections at the injury area. This obviously wasn't what I wanted (or needed for that matter), so I figured my little opiate "journey" would just be over. And it was for a little while - maybe a month or so - with no withdrawal's or anything, as the situation wasn't that bad at the time.

Then came my discovery of "other sources". I was able to maintain my usage at about 1 pill a day for the next 6 months (Aug '07). I still didn't see it as a big deal because I had kept my dose constant - it still worked for me - and I didn't really withdraw when supplies ran short.

Then came what was probably the single biggest factor in where I am today. The source ran out of available hydrocodone, but had an alternative - Oxycontin. At first, I wanted nothing to do with it because of the negative stigma associated with it - even if it was only a more concentrated form of oxycodone. However, with each passing day and no hydrocodone, I figured a couple of Oxyxontin's would keep me going. My logic was that since it was an 80mg pill, I could dissolve it into 10 individual 8mg doses. This would be perfect, as just 3 pills would last a month or so. And they did - for about 1 month. Then I began taking 2 doses a day, then 3, then 4, then 5, etc... By January of this year (2008), I was up to an entire 80mg pill a day. I knew full well that I had a problem, but I didn't want to stop. I LOVED the way it made me feel. Monday morning blues - no problem, take a dose. Break up with long-time girlfriend - no biggie, take a dose. Go out to party, take a dose. Go shopping - take a dose (which also resulted in some fairly stupid impulse buys). Anytime I did anything, I would take a dose. I had a problem - but didn't care.

I maintained my dose at approximately 1 80mg pill a day up until late May/early June, at which point it got up to another quarter of a pill - so about 100mg.

It is now mid-July, and I've decided to stop. I really looked at the past year and a half, and how badly this has progressed. I know if I don't get out soon, it will just get worse and worse. I am very successful by today's standards, have a good job, make a good amount of money, and have a great family. The last thing I want to be is the guy who had so much potential and pissed it all away.

Now comes the hard part - getting off these damn things. I planned it so that I would have 4 80mg pills left to ween myself off of. That may seem like a fairly rapid taper, but I know if I get more, the taper will never happen. Here is my goal:

Make 12 doses out of 1 pill (believe it or not this is still a sufficient dose for me and actually produces mild euphoria for about 30 minutes).

Take 5 doses on day one, then 5 doses on day two, then 4 and 4, then 3 and 3, then 2 and 2, then 1, and 1. I know I have more doses than I need in this schedule, but I want to throw that last little pill away and actually feel good about doing so.

So far I am on day 3. I actually made it through day 2 with only 4 doses, and I've only taken 2 doses so far today. I'll be honest, I've gone into withdrawal, and it is not the most pleasant experience. I have diarrhea, sweats, body ache, general lethargy, and of course difficulty sleeping. However, the withdrawal is still manageable. I'm sure it will get worse, but I put myself in this position, so I have to deal with the consequences.

Now for a few questions...

Do you think this rapid taper is even worth it? I'm hoping that it will reduce the WD's when I completely come off. If it won't then I'd rather just stop now and deal with it than prolong the inevitable.

Also, what are my other choices? Rehab really isn't an option, nor do I want to go on suboxone or methadone and only delay another withdrawal.

I have a feeling that I am just going to have to deal with it. I take some comfort in the fact that this high dose (for me at least) has only been for 5 or 6 months. I've read about some people that were on 400mg+ a day for years.

I KNOW I WILL GET THROUGH THIS.

I have too much to lose not to...
Old 07-26-2008, 11:16 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I agree

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT THE RUNS PART, LOL. THAT IS TOO MUCH. YOUR BUTT GETS REALLY SORE AFTER THE FIRST DAY, LOL.
Originally Posted by jershua View Post
i wish i could tell you this would be easy, but it is anything but for the first 1 or two weeks, i am on my 31st day today and still have the runs. you will need copius amounts of immodium and gatorade or something like it and as soon as possible you need to get out of the house and walk or get some form of exercise, it will help you sleep eventually. i wish you all the luck in the world and soon you will start to see the world in a new light.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Okay. There Is Hydrocodone & Oxycodone. Hydro Comes With Acet. Or Profen. Oxy Comes With Acet. Or Alone. Therefore If You Are Getting Pure Oxycodone Depending On What Milligram, 8 10mg Hydro Would = 80mg Oxy. Make Sense?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I think it's the same, but I also agree with the advice about getting the suboxone or subutex. If you can do it, it will help in amazing ways. For me, going cold turkey was horrible enough to keep me sober for about 3 months. Then small relapses after small relapses (thankfully, not too long or too bad). One day, back up to the same daily habit, but only for 2 months or so.

Suboxone helped like you wouldn't believe. A. your WDs just stop and you feel pretty much normal. B. it buys you some time so you can figure out how to live life again w/out your pills.

Take your time, take it slow, and be strong!
Old 07-27-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leadam123 View Post
Hi. My opinion is, I would not even bother trying to taper off of this medication. If you can cold turkey, more power to you. I tried that and did not last a day. The withdrawls were so bad I could not stand it.
Well I've been tapering for a few weeks. The first few days sucked, but it became much more bearable after that.

I was at 80-100mg per day. Now I'm down to 6mg or so, and the only real problem is the anxiety. I can deal with it if I have to (which I do, lol).

Originally Posted by leadam123 View Post
Believe it or not, Suboxone is a very good drug.
I'm sure Suboxone is great for some people, but I think I'm well beyond the point of needing it. Moreover, I don't want to trade one active addiction for another.

Regards
Old 07-27-2008, 03:17 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by illbeback View Post
A. your WDs just stop and you feel pretty much normal. B. it buys you some time so you can figure out how to live life again w/out your pills.

Take your time, take it slow, and be strong!
So were you still having WD's after 3 months?