Notices

Can I live happy in recovery?...

Old 12-19-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Can I live happy in recovery?...

Can I live happy in recovery?…Yes, and happy?…ever after?… Once I rid my mind of the debris of the past… My head is like an apartment house where I am the landlord of many tenants that need to be evicted… Memories that serve to make me happy are kept… The ones that are poisoning my thoughts with feelings of unhappiness, are evicted… Some things I need to hold fast to; some things I should forego… Certainly, an unforgiving state of mind is something I need to, and want to, let go of.

I know most here have not used any recovery program …But for those of us who has work on the 4th and 5th steps…We are never finish with our past…The more I work my steps the deeper I come to understand the spiritual principle that the fellowship and the 12 steps offer…And how much more work to be done.

As I get rid of thoughts and feelings that have kept me bitter and unhappy, or that keep memories of old hurts, old resentments, and old mistakes alive… I open the way for my Higher Power forgiving healing and love to take over and flow throughout my spirit.

The more I open the doors of my past…The more I learn about Ivan….My past way of thinking….My believes…My ego…Religion and God…Kept me deprave and depress practically all my life…Until the truth was uncovered…The spirit of a Higher Power fills that void of depression…

Today, I realize that forgiveness has nothing to do with the person that caused me the pain…The pain of the past events has become a self-inflicted pain as long as I choose to relive and re-feel the event in my memory… What I can't forgive and forget, I know that the unconditional love of my Higher Power is able to erase completely… His love is able to give so freely and completely that there is nothing that remains to be forgiven.

I have felt a great sense of freedom, peace, and release as I let go of the hurts of the past and stay away from unforgiving thoughts and feelings… I feel a great sense of happiness… All is forgiven and dissolved in the healing flow of my Higher powers love.

Maybe some don’t understand this process of growth in recovery…But like my sponsor said to me…Remember…Enjoy it…But to keep it you have to give it back.

Peace and Love
Ivan
Old 12-19-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

very cool, i really enjoyed that. thank you.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post, Time, and so eloquently worded!!
Best wishes on your journey...Life keeps us pretty busy as it is ever-changing and it is all in God's great plan!
~Jane
Old 12-19-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post!

Although I don't do a 12-step program now, I did a few years ago and I definitely use what I learned there. I've had to remind myself that as long as I kick myself for what I did when I was active, knowing that I can't change it, I am only hurting me. God forgives me, my family has forgiven me, so I work on forgiving myself.

I still have days when I want to kick myself, but I'm trying harder to accept the past and learn from it. Actually, I think I'm a better person than before I became a raging addict. Recovery has taught me a lot, and for that I'm grateful.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy