Notices

help me please

Old 11-20-2007, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help me please

hi im new here and im looking for help. my partner is useing benzos and thay use up to 70 tablets a day this terrifies me we are now liveing together. my partner is going to try come off them but she won't seek medical help. i dont know if i can handle this plaese help im at my wits end.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can’t help you, except to tell you that going off even moderate amounts of benzos without a plan can be very dangerous. It should be done under medical supervision and somewhat slowly – even very, very slowly. But that’s the doctor’s call, and in this case, the doctor should be chosen wisely. I’d opt for someone inclined to taper rather than detox, but that’s just me and I am not a doctor – just some one tapering benzos.

Maybe this will help a bit. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for your reply it is much apprecrated just to ask what do i do if i can't get them to a doc and thay said that im the only one thay trust. now my doc won't give me my meds (thay are benzos). i need them for sleep and some times to help with severe panic attacks.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exclamation Quiting Benziods Dangerous....

HI UP THE CREEK,

IF YOUR PARTNER WAS TAKING AS MANY PILLS AS YOU WROTE...SHE WILL BE IN SEVERE DANGER TRYING TO DETOX ON HER OWN.

WHEN I TAPERED DOWN MY XANAX I DID ONE 0.5 MG A MONTH AND SOMETIMES WENT ANOTHER MONTH BEFORE I WENT DOWN AGAIN. I WAS UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF MY DOCTOR THE WHOLE TIME I DID THIS. :praying

KELSH
Old 11-20-2007, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i told my doc about my partner and he said that he could not give me my meds. and to try and get my partner to go to him to get help. my partner does not know about what happened at the docters. i just said to them that thay should get some help from the doc and thay said you are the only one i trust. i have mental health probs and i cant cope with what is going on. my partner is trying to get them elsewhere and what thay are doing is illegal.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Hi up the creek,

I wanted to welcome you to SR. I have no suggestion on the medical part, I don't know anything about that except for her to get to a doctor.
I wanted to suggest you to also visit this forum, they will be a lot of help to you.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tance-abusers/
Glad you are here, look forward to seeing you!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just an echo of the good advice above:

DO NOT "COLD-TURKEY" A LARGE BENZO HABIT! Usually "cold-turkey" is good advice, if your partner had a coke problem that would be exactly my advice, but benzos are different due to their special pharmacology.

Due to the enormous size of the habit I would suggest seeking professional help. I usually am not one to give that advice--my motto is "do it yourself if you can"--but in this severe case I think that would be reckless.

I've honestly never heard of a benzo habit that bad and I've seen some pretty bad stuff. Sorry, I wish there was an easier answer.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First off, your partner could very well die trying to go off benzos on her own.
Secondly, you need to take care of yourself. If you have a medication that you don't abuse, that is medically prescribed, your partner is doing you a great disservice by making it impossible for you to receive them. Remember active addicts are a selfish lot; she is thinking of feeding her addiction. She is not remembering that you have needs also. Please take some time to take care of yourself.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i know what you are saying is right and i know my partner should get help from a doc. im happy that you have tryed to help me. i just dont know if i can do what is needed to help them. my partner has been like this for 6 years and they whon't to change but they cant. i have read so meny web sites telling me that its not just physical but mental as well. thank you so much for trying to help me.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will say what they are saying, too. I had a seizure just from tramadol, and grand mal one, and i have heard that cold turkey benzo withdrawals are far more dangerous. Please get his doc to help with a taper plan, I am sure they would work itout of him. Maybe even give his meds out on a daily basis at the doc? I hope this helps alittle, Im in a big mess myslef, so not too much help, but i wish the best for you
Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hope3

Let your partner know that since they trust you...

they should go with you to a doc, which you trust...

unless they want to risk serious medical complications..

you are a wonderful caring person, bless you, hope3