Notices

Steroids

Old 03-02-2007, 12:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Steroids

What Are They?

Ever wondered how those bulky weight lifters got so big? While some may have gotten their muscles through a strict regimen of weight-lifting and diet, others may have gotten that way through the illegal use of steroids.

Steroids are synthetic substances similar to the male sex hormone testosterone. They do have legitimate medical uses. Sometimes doctors prescribe anabolic steroids to help people with certain kinds of anemia and men who don't produce enough testosterone on their own. Doctors also prescribe a different kind of steroid, called corticosteroids, to reduce swelling. Corticosteroids are not anabolic steroids and do not have the same harmful effects.

But doctors never prescribe anabolic steroids to young, healthy people to help them build muscles. Without a prescription from a doctor, steroids are illegal.

There are many different kinds of steroids. Here's a list of some of the most common anabolic steroids taken today: anadrol, oxandrin, dianabol, winstrol, deca-durabolin, and equipoise.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How Are They Used?

Some steroid users pop pills. Others use hypodermic needles to inject steroids directly into muscles. When users take more and more of a drug over and over again, they are called "abusers." Abusers have been known to take doses 10 to 100 times higher than the amount prescribed for medical reasons by a doctor.

Many steroid users take two or more kinds of steroids at once. Called stacking, this way of taking steroids is supposed to get users bigger faster. Some abusers pyramid their doses in 6-12-week cycles. At the beginning of the cycle, the steroid user starts with low doses and slowly increases to higher doses. In the second half of the cycle, they gradually decrease the amount of steroids. Neither of these methods has been proven to work.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What Are the Common Effects?

Steroids can make pimples pop up and hair fall out. They can make guys grow breasts and girls grow beards. Steroids can cause livers to grow tumors and hearts to clog up. They can even send users on violent, angry rampages. In other words, steroids throw a body way out of whack.

Steroids do make users bulk up, but the health risks are high. It's true, on steroids biceps bulge; abs ripple; and quads balloon. But that's just on the outside. Steroid users may be very pleased when they flex in the mirror, but they may create problems on the inside. These problems may hurt them the rest of their lives. As a matter of fact steroid use can shorten their lives.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Steroids Cause Hormone Imbalances

For teens, hormone balance is important. Hormones are involved in the development of a girl's feminine traits and a boy's masculine traits. When someone abuses steroids, gender mix-ups happen.

Using steroids, guys can experience shrunken testicles and reduced sperm count. They can also end up with breasts, a condition called gynecomastia.

Using steroids, girls can become more masculine. Their voices deepen. They grow excessive body hair. Their breast size decreases.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Steroid Abuse Can Be Fatal

When steroids get into the body, they go to different organs and muscles. Steroids affect individual cells and makes them create proteins. These proteins spell trouble.

The liver, for example, can grow tumors and develop cancer. Steroid abusers may also develop a rare condition called peliosis hepatis in which blood-filled cysts crop up on the liver. Both the tumors and cysts can rupture and cause internal bleeding.

Steroids are no friend of the heart, either. Abusing steroids can cause heart attacks and strokes, even in young athletes. Here's how: Steroid use can lead to a condition called atherosclerosis, which causes fat deposits inside arteries to disrupt blood flow. When blood flow to the heart is blocked, a heart attack can occur. If blood flow to the brain is blocked, a stroke can result.

To bulk up the artificial way—using steroids—puts people at risk for more than liver disease and cardiovascular disease. Steroids can weaken the immune system, which is what helps the body fight against germs and disease. That means that illnesses and diseases have an easy target in a steroid abuser.

By injecting steroids by needle, people can add HIV and hepatitis B and C to their list of health hazards. Many abusers share non-sterile "works" or drug injection equipment that can spread life-threatening viral infections.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Steroids Can Cause Extreme Mood Changes

Steroids can also mess with your head. Research shows that high doses of steroids can cause extreme fluctuations in emotions, from euphoria to rage. That's right. Rage can come from how steroids act on your brain.

Your moods and emotions are balanced by the limbic system of your brain. Steroids act on the limbic system and may cause irritability and mild depression. Eventually, steroids can cause mania, delusions, and violent aggression or "roid rage."

Steroids' Disfiguring Effects

Last, but not least, steroids have disfiguring effects—severe acne, greasy hair, and baldness (in both guys and girls).

~NIDA~
Old 03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a number of frineds that are proffesional body builders, in which all of them have and still use anabolic steroids. I have studied the effects, uses, negatives, and positives for years extensively. I am not here to promote the use at all by any means, they are certainly bad for you. Being an ex-pillpopper my self, and have used anabolic steroids, I will say, In my opinion, with proper post procedure, and steps to protect your liver and heart tissue, I feel that the pills have far done more damage to me mentally and internally than a 6-8 week cycle of anabolic steroids. Again, I want to clear the fact that I am NOT pro-steroids, but I dont think they are as harmful as years of popping painkillers and sedatives. For younger teens and people in their lower 20's, steroids are a VERY bad idea. Your body is still producing igf-1 and oter growth factors naturally, not to mention your bone structure is not matured till later 20's (in males). Once you administer the use of anabolics, your body naturally fuses the end of bone plates to not allow any further growth, thus in the long run, resulting in a smaller body frame and structure. In english, your not going to reach your natural peak with the use of steroids. Good exercise routine and diet are crucial in putting on weight. Not the use of anabolic steroids.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Steroids Cause Hormone Imbalances

For teens, hormone balance is important. Hormones are involved in the development of a girl's feminine traits and a boy's masculine traits. When someone abuses steroids, gender mix-ups happen.

Using steroids, guys can experience shrunken testicles and reduced sperm count. They can also end up with breasts, a condition called gynecomastia.

Using steroids, girls can become more masculine. Their voices deepen. They grow excessive body hair. Their breast size decreases.