Notices

My experience with Bupenorphine/Suboxone

Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My experience with Bupenorphine/Suboxone

I saw a post from someone who wanted to hear personal experiences about Suboxone (Bupenorphine), and I can't find her post again, so hopefully she'll see this. I hope it's helpful to her and anybody else who wants info on this alternative to methadone.

I have been on Suboxone for seven months. I got sober for the first time in December '04, had about six months clean and a good program in NA and AA. Then I relapsed, and it got pretty bad very quickly, from a casual "I'll just try heroin one more time, to say goodbye to it and show myself I can leave it behind" (yeah, I know, classic addict thinking!) to a 5 gram per day habit in the space of two months, IV. I was also shooting cocaine and meth. Speedballs were my 'thing'. I ended up extremely strung out and very sick. I developed a serious cardiac arrrhythmia and nearly died a couple times. I lost my job, trust with friends and family who had rooted for me all through my first rehab, etc. The usual stuff we go through.

I decided to try suboxone because I had first had it in rehab. They did a very quick process of detox there - I was given sublingual liquid suboxone for about a week, and then tapered off it, supported by Clonidine for the worst of the kick. It wasn't too bad, but that's mostly because my habit was nothing NEAR what it became when I relapsed. But, I remembered that it had helped, and had become afraid to do methadone after doing a lot of research that talked about how hard it was to kick methadone. The doctor said I would still have to come off Suboxone and there would be sickness, but it would not be as bad.

Probably the hardest thing about it was that I had to kick for 48 hours before I could start Suboxone. My boyfriend and I holed up in a motel, and cooked one last shot. We armed ourselves with tons of bottled water, Gatorade, soup, cigarettes, and Benadryl.

The first eight hours were uncomfortable, but okay. Then the sickness really kicked in, and it was absolutely the most miserable experience of my life. There were many things not to like about it: profuse sweating, back spasms, thrashing and painful legs, nausea, trembling, etc. But for me, the worst part was definitely the horrible anxiety. It was a full-body kind of agitation and restlessness. It would make a superior form of torture, because as it got worse, I would have given anything to make it stop. As we got into the second day, we became unable to tell if we were hot or cold. We had the heater cranked all the way up, and the blankets were soaked with sweat, but we shivered and shook and thrashed and threw up. Yeah, you read about the horrors of the heroin kick, but nothing I'd ever read or heard compares to the reality. Needless to say, we arrived at the doctor's office three hours early and begged to be let in.

The doctor put us in separate rooms and started giving us tablets of suboxone, a little at a time. I think it was in 2-milligram increments. It's a little orange pill that you put under your tongue and keep there as long as possible. The bottle labels it optimistically as 'lemon-lime flavored'. It's more like the taste of rotten, fermented tangerines, but never mind.

After pill four, nothing had happened and I was beginning to get really worried. My boyfriend and I were afraid - if it didn't work, we would not be able to go get well later, because Suboxone contains both bupenorphine (the opiate replacement part) and naloxone (an opiate antagonist, which makes you sick if you do opiates). This is to prevent junkies like me from relapsing, but we were terrified that we would leave just as sick as we came in, only unable to go get some dope to feel better with. Our plan was, if it didn't work, we were going to kill ourselves. Addiction and sickness had us to a point where that seemed like the most logical option.

Around 32 milligrams, I suddenly sat up. The dopesickness was just gone. It left very quickly. One minute I was writhing on the floor, the next second I was flooded with a feeling of relief that I can't describe. I was not high - Suboxone doesn't make you high, if you already have a huge tolerance to opiates. At least, it didn't make ME high. I was just 'not sick', which was the most blessed, wonderful feeling. I felt hungry for the first time in months. It took another pill for my boyfriend to feel it, and then suddenly, he sat up and smiled too. Our nurse, a huge man with a great big grin, came in and beamed at us. "Now, THAT'S why I love my job," he said. We got up and hugged and thanked him and the doctor, and left with our scrips for more of this miraculous stuff. We went straight to the Pork Store on Haight Street and I ate the most kick-ass waffle in history.

That's the good news. In my experience, as a pretty hard-core heroin addict, Suboxone works like a charm. In the doctor's explanation, it's like your opiate receptors are little bolts, and Suboxone comes along like a bunch of little nuts and threads itself onto your opiate receptors. The Naloxone kicks all the heroin off the receptors, and gradually it gets replaced with the Bupenorphine. Covered and protected by the darling little nuts of Bupe, your opiate receptors shut the hell up and let you feel well again. I repeat, not high, like Methadone sometimes does; just well. That means you can go back to work, get into a good NA program, whatever you need to do. Life can continue.

Now the bad news. Suboxone is approximately $6.74 PER PILL. I had to start out at five pills per day - that's roughly $35. My boyfriend was at the same level. So, we were shelling out around $70 per day. Many people since have said to me "Well, weren't you spending that much on dope, at least?" Yes, we were, but we were doing things to get that money that were not conducive to sobriety, sanity, or freedom from prison. I had spent all of a $40,000 windfall from the sale of my house on dope. We happened to get sober just as the money ran out (not a coincidence, of course). So, we had to figure out a way to come up with about $1,200 per month to keep us both well. It was incredibly difficult. We begged and borrowed and worked two jobs. I was very lucky, because I had people to borrow from. I can not imagine how people less lucky would be able to afford it. Most health plans, as I understand, do not cover Suboxone, I suppose because of the boneheaded, idiotic assumption that addiction is a choice and anybody addicted is a moral cretin who should be punished and not helped. Rrrright. Before I got really addicted, I was a Creative Director for Kodak. I had a million-dollar house in the hills, 2 cars, a dog and a marriage and 3 401Ks. I was one of those affluent, successful people who are almost never seen on the media representations of addiction. No, it's usually scabby poor people on those movies and in those ads. Because in this society, poverty is as big a crime as taking illegal drugs. But I digress.

I'm now down to a quarter pill per day. Stepping down on Suboxone was pretty easy. I had some sickness, mostly of the muscle-spasm and agitation variety, but nothing close to the hell I went through in that motel room. I was able to alleviate most of it with aspirin and Benadryl. I also got right back into 12 step work, got a sponsor and a coffee commitment. I go to a meeting a day, if I can. My boyfriend and I read the Big Book to each other every night, and I've finally gotten a higher power and pray all the damn time. I pray for myself a little bit, mostly to have the power not to relapse again, because I do still have strong cravings from time to time. I also pray that other addicts will have access to Suboxone. I'm working with the doctor who gave it to me to look into getting donations to fund 'Suboxone Scholarships' for people with fewer resources than myself.

In short, in my experience:
- Suboxone works very well
- Does not make you high like Methadone; you can return to life
- It is WAY too expensive, which should be a federal crime
- Can get you off dope fairly easily, and can be stepped down from with few effects

I hope this helps somebody. Thanks.

Sarah
Old 10-18-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Day by day....

Bravo Sarah! Your post gave me chills and then tears. I too am on Suboxone -actually Subutex as the Suboxone gave me a few not so comfortable side effects. But aside from that - I have been on since March and have been tapering down down very slowly. I got down to about .5mg and had some health issues that required a procedure with narcotics. I went off the Sub 2 days before the procedure and stayed off until I couldn't stand myself. I was not able to start back at the same dose I left off. I am now back up and hovering aroung 1mg - 1.25 mg. Still really low.....still a success....just a bump in the road.

I don't know how anyone could argue with the value that Sub can provide if they read your post. Certainly the greatest negative comments I see here come from people who have never used it or people who have had a cold hearted doctor who yanks them off quickly at too high of a dose. I say thank God there are options for all of us since we all know what works for one might not necessarily work for another.

I do owe my life to this medication. I too was clean for an extensive period of time before my relapse - almost 11 years - only with the program of NA and the support and love of my friends and family. It was not enough this time and after a year of searching and struggling and being sick and obsessed and anxious and miserable - I gave in to my own reservations about this treatment and set up an appointment. I don't think I would be where I am today without it.

Excellent story Sarah and I hope that your life continues to improve. Just continue to follow the right path - don't rush yourself - and you will get there. The best part of this treatment (for me) is that my brain can heal during a manageable taper plan, my obsession, compulsion and addictive behaviors are arrested so that I can attend NA and focus on getting better. And yes - my experience is the same - I do not get high from Sub...I just feel "well" and finally capable of rebuilding my life.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sarah!

Thank you! That was me who needed the info on suboxone, and you did help me. Thank you. You've just reassured me. I am on 12 mg. and have heard horror stories of detoxing from this stuff, so I am so glad you endorse it. Do you remember sweating while on it? I am having some reaction to it and I sweat all the time - it's horrible! Anyway...thank you!

Lisa (Dox)
Old 10-19-2006, 01:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Sarah,....that Truely is a great Share....Thanks for that,...!

Im also on subutex,...4mgs at the mo...just pushed it down recently from 4 n 1/2mgs

I find that i get a little sweaty at time's when i push the dose down,...!

Thanks ((Begin)) for putting that just right...!
Dox i do hope that that was of some help to you,.....

Subutex, has helped me find a life that was Never obtainable for me, until i broke away from certain place's, people,ect ,..and help me find something of myself after the werkage of Addiction,....As it had taken my hope away.
I now have hope for the future,..with managable plan's,....!
Im Grateful that i have this chance to re direct my life...!
Thanks Again for your share...
much Hope...!
Old 10-19-2006, 03:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post Sarah.
Have been looking for information for ages - unbiased info. Have even been to naabts - but only get biased and rather emotional stuff - understandabley - I am not criticising.
Yours is the first post to be unbiased, informative and hopeful.
It would be great if you would consider posting more about your whole approach to Sub? Once you are on and stable do you think you should be considering taper? Its such a huge beast of a drug - sub - and I have heard people talking of it for maintenence - I have to say that I think the whole concept of maintenance (methadone or sub) is completely unethical - not what was intended in the first instance. But governments refuse to pay out for patient treatment/rehab. Anyway - would like to hear your views on how you approached your recovery in the beginning. Obviously behaviour has to change too. Did your doc send you along to NA or did you go along and like the 12 step approach.
How and when did things start to fall into place?
The cost is astonishing - and shocking!! But how do the Insurers side step it? The World Health Organisation defines addiction as illness - not a word about will power etc. How can the Insurance Companies argue with the WHO?
Mind you this problem exists mostly for the US. Most European countries have their own NHS. Its about time that the US dragged itself screaming into the 21st century? It is so backward in this. A country that can send a man to the moon but cant (or wont) look after the health of its people. Daft? After the World War 11 - Britain borrowed the money from the US to set up its NHS and the US was expected to follow suit - and to everyone's astonishment - it didnt. Perhaps to do with the US paranoia about communism. Anyway - it has never solved this problem - and surely its now about time that people demanded an HNS from the administration? Its a measure of how civilised a country is.......... how it looks after its citizens - health, education, welfare.......... Taxation is a worthy tool when used for good purpose.
Britain has never paid back the money.............................. LOL
How'a about taxing some of the mega rich who seem to escape taxation for some strange and illogical reasons............
Anyway - I imagine Arura that you get your sub on the NHS?

And well done Arura for getting down to 4 mg and going lower still.......

Begin - hadnt realised that you were so low - great - wont be long until you make that final leap - hope you will keep us all in the picture.

Sarah - thanks again - and hope you will post more on this subject - there is so little information available and so few people around who do not have an axe to grind. Your approach is so very refreshing and helpful.

woops
Old 10-19-2006, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Too true about the Politcs,...ehy...!

Thank God for the N.H.S is all I can say on that one Hon...! without it my family would be in real trouble,...!
Thanks for the info on the war................LOL....

And Yes, they have given me drugs a long time now....but in a way i feel like a guine pig sometimes 'Ohh try this' 'Try that',...??? for awhile i listened,...n even belived them...But i find that as an addict they use all the 'Lastest' new drugs on you.....????? NO THANKS...! Like i say i fell for that one in the past, now i see it for what it is,Beware n use it for what it is as yes we pay for it in other ways ...Like Tax...!
A bloody good service is the N.H.S....as The idea of you haveing to pay to SAVE YOUR LIFE,...is as a Brit Shocking,...I can just imagine what the Drs in the U.S are doing aswell n it stinks,...! my head has trouble dealing with the ruthless attiude of so called Dr's...!

Nusres in England get low wages n yes, its all wrong anyone working in a service to the commuinty,....like nurse, teacher, social worker,.. meal's on wheels get sod all.....and yes it's Very wrong,...The wrong way around..!

Ohhh im off on polaitcs,...Im 'Back in the room' lol....hehe... n off to leave ya in peace,...!

Encourageing Share Yep Keep it comeing..............
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

encouraged

That was an encouraging story Sara. Thank you for sharing. I've never tried heroin or meth but I understand the detox from those must be horrific. My DOC is pills vicodin, percs even tramadol. I started on Suboxone a week ago. I had to wait 72 hours while staying clean before the doctor would start me on the first dose. Like you, I was made to take it in timed doses until the desired effect was reached. When I reached that point the feeling is indescribable. To have the pain, anxiety, irritability (boy was I a pain to be around) and throbbing heart all go away almost immediately was at first a little scary because I thought this must be what it feels like to die. But, that was a short lived feeling. So far this week, taking the subs as directed, I feel great. It is wonderful to have the withdraw symptoms non-existant and no cravings!! (:
By far the most incredible thing I've learned this week is that I don't have to swallow a handful of vicodins to enjoy being alive! That is the main reason pills have such a grip on me. For me to go out with family or friends and enjoy myself, I had to be high because I couldn't imagine living life without my pills. Suboxone doesn't give me a buzz. I'm glad about that. It protects me from the silver tongued, charismatic Mr. Pill.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Steve! Welcome to SR! I am on subs too! I must say, they are saving my life right now!
How many mgs did your doctor prescribe? I'm on 6mgs for about 6months. Getting ready to taper soon. You should start a new thread if you want to. This one is pretty old.