Notices

Will this get easier?

Old 04-09-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will this get easier?

I have been on Suboxone for 7 long years, starting at 28 mg and tapered down to 1/3 of 2mg strip. I took 1/4 of a strip for 4 days.Then yesterday 1/6. Today nothing. I really want to be done. I have always had the worst creepy crawlies, want to get out of my skin. Everything else I can handle, but not that. When will it stop? Would it be better to take 1/6 of a 2mg tomorrow, then in 3 day's, etc? I can't imagine I can do this too much longer.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Grace

I don't know anything about subs but I wanted to welcome you. Do you have a subs Dr you could ask?

D
Old 04-09-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a general PCP who prescibes subs, not too confident in him, I was hoping someone that has gotten off of them could let me know how bad it will get and for how long. Thanks for replying though.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have replied on your other thread you started grace - I do think that compared to my own experience you need a more gradual taper than that.

I started in 8mg twice a day (it was to get me off a horrible tramadol addiction) a few months ago, and now I am on 0.2 twice a day. My doctor has monitored me closely and reduced the doses so gradually that I've hardly noticed it. That's the beauty of using this drug to taper - it comes in such small doses that it be aimed possible.
Can you ask you doctor for a more gradual taper? I can't bear the skin crawls and the terrible anxiety that comes with withdrawal. Big hugs x
Old 04-10-2016, 12:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I broke down and took .6 of a strip 2 hours ago. I feel so much better. My Dr will work with me, I just feel like a loser cause everyone tells me at the little dose I'm on, .6( 1/3 of 2 mg) it's all in my head. I feel it though. That's why I came here, to talk to people who have been here. Thank you for getting back to me. Now I can finally get some sleep! Where are you at on your taper? Also I can't find the other thread, I will check here for replies if you want to.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think you have done the right thing. Your doctor knows you aren't abusing them and are serious so he will be on your side. Ultra slow!
Even my pharmacist is so in my side, she asks me how I am doing and encourages me, and also agrees that the reduction by tiny doses s the best way for some :-)
Old 04-10-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My doctor also says its psychological but I don't really understand that when the skin crawls have woken me up from a sleep?

My next step is to do one 0.2 one day and two the next day, for two weeks, then one every two days and two every third day. My doctor said it has a long half life so that's why it's easy to stagger it so much. I tried messing about and coming off quicker but it doesn't work so I follow his slow slow taper to the letter - and if it's too soon and I feel terrible he changes it a little.

Must be working because if I had the doses I had only a few weeks ago it would blow my head off ;-)

I hope you sleep well, keep me posted
Old 04-10-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. It can be very lonely without someone understanding the feelings. I woke up feeling disappointed and frustrated. But reading your text makes me feel better, like I am doing my best and that I am not weak. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I keeping told that the dose that I'm on is sub-therapeutic and has the pain relief equivalent of four paracetamol. That makes me feel weak and silly too. But I can't just stop them, I find it unbearable.

We will get there and if it takes a few months who cares? :-)
Old 04-19-2016, 11:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tapered too quickly

Hi grace....I responded in your thread about aminos.

You have tapered so quickly here in the end. It's so hard to be patient here near the end but getting into these low low numbers and going slowly really helps. Daisy's dr has her on a good program.

It normally takes 7-10 days to become stable on a dose and you shouldn't drop your dose until you stabilize.

The rule of thumb that works for many is to make 20% cuts every 10-14 days or longer.

Have patience! You can do it!