Notices

Question

Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Question

Is Suboxone used for cravings?
I am almost 30 days off heroin but still crave even though Im scared because I ODed the last time. But that fear can only last so long. And to be honest. If I could get it. Im not too sure if I would or wouldnt.
How does it work on that level?
Old 03-12-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Night owl

Hi Aysha. For some folks suboxone is incredibly effective at dealing with cravings. It can make the difference between success and failure in recovery. It's important to work with a good doctor, though, who can monitor and guide your usage. Used without help it can more easily lead to its own addiction.

For some people it's dose dependent, at some doses helping better with cravings. For a minority of people it doesn't work as well and dose definitely makes a difference.

I was on subs for a year and a half and at first it felt more helpful. I was at the full 24mg dose. Even then though I had a disappointing amount of craving. The lower the dose, unfortunately the worse my cravings until at the end of my taking it I was having horrible cravings all the time. I also got progressively more depressed. That's when I switched to methadone which relieved the cravings really well and the depression for awhile.

But I am definitely in the minority on this. I react differently, weirdly and paradoxically to so many things. I'm one of those 1-3%ers, who get the rare and uncommon side effects.

Many people find suboxone works very successfully for them and if you feel like you need that extra support to not relapse it's definitely worth checking into. Doing some kind of treatment--either in or outpatient, or counseling or NA, etc., will greatly increase your chances of success.

I hope you'll post whatever you decide and ask any other questions. This forum is much slower but a lot of folks on SR have used suboxone and will hopefully come by to answer your questions and share their experiences.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just remember (and my son was addicted to heroin). ....A lot of people who were addicted to heroin....that go back "do overdose and die". My neighbor...a beautiful girl...with children...was off it for a while...and then used and just died..that quickly.

How to get over the cravings? I don't know...how about switching to Methadone? Its safer and its monitored.

Also, you have to keep yourself really busy. I don't know if the heroin cravings are the same as alcoholism...but I struggle with cravings..only a month sober (had 8 years at one time)...I went back to drinking and I couldn't stop for 2 years....So, this past month of being sober...whenever I feel really antsy...I GET UP and MOVE...take a ride....get on computer...call a friend....go to the store to buy chocolate...just keep moving and it does pass for me.