Notices

Starting Suboxone

Old 02-27-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I hated Suboxone I bought it off the street, did as much research as humanly possible, and ended up only taking four small doses to get off a large opiate habit. I was so afraid of becoming addicted to it only to have to go through that tapering/withdrawal process. As an addict I knew that if I took it too long I'd become dependent on it in one way or another.
I realized that doctors far over prescribe it and that terrifies me. It's a heck of a lot better than cold turkey withdrawals but still scary in it's own right. It took 70% of my opiate withdrawals away but I still felt so icky on it. Blegh. I've heard good stories about it though, and I wish you the absolute best!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you scrtly. Let' keep the word out. Taking suboxone is a dangerous detox tool. ...brings us to the land of no return.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I agree regarding subs for a detox except I would say it took away maybe 50% of the WD. For me, methadone was much better for a detox drug. It took away 100% of the WD for quite a while. I knew I was going to pay the piper down the road (it took 6 days for the sickness to set in), but it helped me psychologically to be away from my DOC for those 6 days before getting sick. It has been a longer WD but much less intense than CT and definitely doable. However, I would have never taken the methadone if there was any way that I had a consistent supply (I only took it for four days).
Old 03-02-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smile Day 11

Thanks everyone for all of your info!!

I was coming clean of an oxycodone habit 240mg/day which I was able to finally get to 120mg before just stopping completely.

Days 1-5 were pure hell. I kept wanting to die or go to the hospital. That's why I went into the Dr on day 6. I got put on a very low 5-day taper and i'm on my last day @ 0.5mg. I've been feeling not wonderful, but stable enough to get to some meetings and seek help from friends/support.

Tomorrow I have to go back to work p/t and won't be on anymore suboxone. I'm nervous as hell but I know nothing will be as bad as nights 1 & 2...
Old 03-02-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

oxxyfree, congrats on breaking free! Hopefully, you won't feel too much discomfort since you already went through some tuff withdrawals. You may feel a little discomfort after days 3 or 4 from the sub but I think you're right shouldn't be too bad. Good luck you are in the thoughts and prayers.

Let us know how it goes. Btw do you have any plans to maintain your recovery.....such as meetings or a program.....as you know the hardest part is remaining clean and sober.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

3 weeks ago I returned to NA; got a sponcer in that mtg.. I bought an NA text, a step study guide and began reading and writing according to my sponcer's directions. I am teachable.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oxy - great to hear you are doing well. I know what you mean about "wanting to die or go to the hospital". For me, is was a terrible feeling to go from fearing that I was going to die to the realization that I wasn't going to die and was trapped.

I agree with Clean regarding the rest of the withdrawal. In my experience taking low dose subs after some CT withdrawal didn't set me back that far. If you made it through days 1-5 CT you can handle whatever is ahead. Think about it - you already made it from 240 mg OC to 0.5 mg suboxone. That's huge! I wouldn't be too nervous about it if I were in your shoes. Getting too nervous about it can make symptoms appear out of nowhere too. Obviously, that's easy for me to say because I am not going to go through it, but the less anxiety you can have going in the easier it will be.

Do you have plans developed for dealing with PAWS?