Notices

Appointment for suboxone maintenance this week

Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Appointment for suboxone maintenance this week

I had been taking a friend's excess suboxone in an attempt to taper myself and go cold turkey from hydrocodone/oxycodone, but that failed and I now have an appointment for suboxone maintenance on Thursday. I am feeling so guilty about failing in my attempt at cold turkey, even after tapering to 1 to 0.5 mg of suboxone daily (although it wasn't keeping me fully out or withdrawal). I felt like the suboxone helped to break the "take a pill every few hours" habit, and allowed me to function more like a non-addict. Is it so wrong to want that normalcy? Am i taking the easy way out? Does anyone here have exoerience with tapering suboxone? What should i expect at my doctor's visit this week? Can I ask for their help to taper? And how will they know what dosage to administer, is it a guess and try again thing?

I know it's best to be candid and 100% honest with my doctor in this situation but it's so shameful and embarrassing. Any advice on how to approach this?

How do NA members respond to those of you on suboxone? Is it viewed as sobriety, or looked upon as still being in active addiction? Should i keep it a secret at NA meetings?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Albiet,
I am on a sub/maintenance program with the VA. I had an oxycodone habit which was quickly becoming a oxy/heroin habbit. I am a full time student, and currently hold two jobs. Durring the last semester I tried many times to taper down or go cold turkey which always ended in epic failure. After throwning my hands up, and realising I alone could not quit the opiates. I went to the VA and they suggested subs, I was weary at first, but at this point I knew that it was the subs, long term rehab, or continue on my path of insanity. I chose the subs b/c rehab was out of the question, I did not want to lose my jobs, GPA(3.8), and my cuzy 1 bedroom apt.

Today I have 30 days clean of opiate abuse. It feels good to know that I have not felt the need to use oxy/heroin for the last 30 days. During the last 30 days I have been able to finish the semester w/straight A's and excel at work. I have also been working on my spiritual growth with a sponsor and a support group.

My next plan is to taper the sub, and hopefully be opiate free by september of this year.

Good Luck

HD
Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks hd, it means a lot to hear that you are doing so well. I hope that I make it to where you are. It just all seems so far away from right now...