Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox
Reload this Page >

Having Surgery Soon While on Methadone Maintenance, Soo Scared to do so; PWEASE HELP

Notices

Having Surgery Soon While on Methadone Maintenance, Soo Scared to do so; PWEASE HELP

Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Having Surgery Soon While on Methadone Maintenance, Soo Scared to do so; PWEASE HELP

Hello all.

I am getting my wisdom teeth removed pretty soon, and I was told that as part of the anastesia, one of the drugs that are going to be used during the operation is Fentanyl for pain relief.

This has started to scare me quite a bit because I use to abuse Fentanyl back in my junkie days.

Now I was told by my Doctor that for someone on Methadone maintenance like me, I would need to be given a higher dosage of Fentanyl during the operation for it to have the right kind of painkilling effects on me, because of my high tolderance from the Methadone.

The problem wth this is that I am scared to death that somehow I'll end up feeling a high from the Fentanyl being used. It would be such a shame to wake up that big beast all because of some stupid wisdom teeth. And aside from that it would be one and a half years of abstinence down the drain! All of that time being used to put that stuff behind me would be blown, and once again the feelings of the one thing that destroyed my life would be fresh.

I haven't felt an Opiate high since I went on the Methadone one and a half years ago, and I really did not intend to experience that again nor do I want to. I really do not want to be reminded of it and end up ruining all of my progress. That's some pretty risky stuff if you ask me.

My Doctor says that the Methadone would block the euphoric effects from the other painkillers being used at the dose that I am at now(60mgs of Methadone a day). And that I would only recieve the painkillig effects from other Opiates, which I would need during the operation. But I don't know if this is all that true and I am really scared to take the chance.

I told the Dentist that I would rather have advil before and after the operation, but I was told that I would probably need some kind of painkiller because it is going to be a pretty big operation and without it I would be in a fair amount of pain. They are taking out all four of my wisdom teeth at once.

I guess what I want to know is, has anyone gotten an operation while being on Methadone? And how did this go for you?

Has anyone ever had to be given painkillers during their Methadone maintenance program? And was everything okay when this happened? Or did it ruin your progress?

And Does anyone know for sure that the Methadone would block all of the euphoric effects from other Opiates when mixing the two??

I really don't want to get high from that stuff ever again. I feel like that part of my life is way behind me, and it would suck soo much to be reminded of it after a year and a half away from it! I am so scared to wake that beast up, but at the same time my wisdom teeth have been geting cavities and are getting worse and worse all the time. They are in desperate need to come out very soon, and I don't know how much longer I can prolong such a thing. This puts me in a very tough place..

I guess I just woud love to hear that the Methadone will absolutely block all euphoric effects from other Opiates and that I will not get high. I DO NOT WANT TO GET HIGH, ESPECIALLY FROM OPIATES .

I am so scared to take such a chance, but at the same time I don't know what else I can do.

Any personal experiences that can be shared would be so awesome!!! And any opinions or thoughts on this subject would be really great as well!!

All the feedback would be extremely appreciated!

I know it is kinda long, but thank you for reading.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Clean

sorry the forum seems slow right now.
I have no experience with methadone, but I have had dental work done.

I haven't had wisdom teeth out but I have had other teeth removed - advil (or the equivalent) was ok for me, so perhaps it's best to wait and see if you need the 'stronger stuff'?

D