Notices

Do u feel it's important to have support therapy while on Sub?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do u feel it's important to have support therapy while on Sub?

I'm just curious how it's possible to have a clean way of thinking without knowing how to do it.

My Husband takes 24mg a day and just recentley cut back to 20mg/day after 2 months.

I asked if his Dr recommended him going to a program/therapist to talk about this addiction but he said he's convinced doing it on his own and he doesn't need anyon'e help.

Short story-I found some oxy in his overnight bad (work travels) and he swears he didn't take any thatt he thought about it???! (He was up to 160-320mg oxy a/day)

Doesn't that show he needs addt'l suppurt?????

Thanks for your input
Old 04-02-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

are you sure his doc has his best interest in mind? not trying to minimize his oxy habit, but 20mg is a very, very high dose of subs. much too high. i wonder why the doc would have him on such a high dose, other than the fact that he will keep coming back? is the doc monitoring his taper plan? any legit doc will monitor the patient- make sure they're taking the appropriate amount, make sure they're not using other drugs, make sure they're getting outside support/help. if its basically just that your husband goes and see's this doc, talks to him for a bit, and he gets his script, then the doc just sounds like a drug dealer who wants to get paid and keep him coming back.

in regards to finding the oxy, i'd be very, very concerned. why would someone who is a recovering addict and on suboxone have oxy in their bag? he shouldn't have access to oxy, or any other drugs. did you ask him to get rid of it? he should have no problem doing so if he's being honest. i suspect he's not telling the truth though.

this is only my opinion, but my story is very similar and I know how it works, cause I've been there. I was an oxy addict, I got a sub doc that didn't have my best interest in mind, I ended taking the sub for 6 months but not seriously as I didn't get support/ help and I was also using oxy some of the time that I was on the sub. smart, I know. one day, I was so sick and couldn't take it anymore- I confessed everything to my family, I quit sub and oxy cold turkey (and every other drug, including alcohol), entered rehab, got continued support through AA, and now I'm clean and sober and life is infinitely better.

your husband is probably suffering really badly right now, as I was. I would confront him about this, and don't let him lie his way out of it, if only for his sake. I was so good at lying but I was only hurting myself and digging a deeper hole. you will be doing him the best favor of his life, youll be saving his life, if you really find out whats going on here....
Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand what your husband is saying when he wants to do it alone. I went to a doc and who said I can go to as many group sessions I as want, but, the real support comes from within. The support of self to want to get better and then talkin about it with people who are willing to listening to you moan, groan, complain, cry, doubt, shout, and just get it all out. I did it alone, with the help of God and my sister who were always willing to listen. I know you are concerned about finding the Oxy, yes I seesawed too, but with suboxone in your system you dont feel the same buzz. And finally you get tired of the lil secret, telling everyone your not popping pills, because, your on suboxone. Its a process, you constantly fight with yourself when your trying to get better. Be his sounding board and if he slips, help him back up. Do it together.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

first of all, in my opinion 24 mgs. of suboxone is NOT a real high dose. everyone at the rehab i go to for my subs is on 24 mgs or more. i was on 36 mgs. for a year and a half. also, i dont understand why your husband would even try to get high if he's taking his subs correctly. you cant get high off of oxy's if you are. it takes two or more days to get off on em. oh and remember, GIVE HIM TIME.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Any way that you confront him - be compassionate and remember that he needs your un-conditional support!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by REDSTAR View Post
first of all, in my opinion 24 mgs. of suboxone is NOT a real high dose. everyone at the rehab i go to for my subs is on 24 mgs or more. i was on 36 mgs. for a year and a half. also, i dont understand why your husband would even try to get high if he's taking his subs correctly. you cant get high off of oxy's if you are. it takes two or more days to get off on em. oh and remember, GIVE HIM TIME.
Now either your lying or your doctor doesn't have the slightest CLUE about what he's doing. There is a ceiling effect for suboxone, at 32mg. That means that if you take 100mg of suboxone, it would do the same exact thing as 32mg. It is biology, there is NO way around the suboxone ceiling effect, it applies to everyone.

MOST people should not be on high doses of suboxone (over 10mg) for maintenance. At high levels, suboxone begins binding to certain opioid receptors causing dysphoria and tiredness. Generally a patient should start at a dose that keeps them from being sick and then taper down below 10mg.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

confusedalways, Plz don't take some of the things said in this thread to seriously, people all have there own opinions and some are more adamant about that factuality of their information than others. If you are still around and have any more question feel free to private message me.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Nightsd,

How is the sub working for you?

I hope you post your successes as well as your relapses. We all benefit by knowing what works as well as what doesn't. You have obviously researched this stuff very thoroughly, and I would like to have a better understanding of it. Subs seem to work so well for some, and become a nightmare for others.

Is the difference in the training of the prescriber? I do wonder if the random docs that throw subs at people without a plan are doing more harm than good. Then there are those who decide to buy their subs off the street. That worries me.

Blood500: I am curious as to your experience, too. If you offer to exchange PM's, is it because you have special knowledge to share? Even though we can't give medical advice here, we can share experiences that will be of benefit to so many more people than doing so by PM.

Much luck to all!

FT
Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

on subs and therapy

Hi,
I personally believe that while on subs that it is a good idea to get therapy also.
the more you can learn about our disease the better, it will help w/ cravings and just in how to change my lifew/o opiods.
This is just my thought but it has helped me.
Thanks,lorilou1