Notices

Going cold turkey from subuxone, need advice

Old 04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

just your opinion what do you think time frame wise. I think you are right. I see 28 day schedules on the net, and comfort is key to sucsess but I want it out of my life and to move on. Meetings of course are going to be key. Then I have to deal with the XANAX.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Jane??
Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Jimba,

I really have little experience on Suboxone. I started in February. Instead of repeating what I've written in by blog, I'm just going to point you to that. If you read the entry that I'm updating every day, you'll see how my tapering has been going so far. I'll warn you that it hasn't been going well.

This afternoon, I stopped into the office of another doctor and spoke with his nurse. I've been told to call the office on Monday. I'm hoping to find a doctor who will work with me and help me get a handle on this addiction-thing. I'm still struggling with that.

If you have the desire to get clean and don't need the suboxone to keep you from relapsing due to craving opiates/opioids (which sounds as though it might be the case), a quick detox might be what you're looking for. I can't tell you exactly what will happen because there are differences in detox methods.

If you prefer to forego the details in my blog, here's a short blurb: my addiction to oxys was less than three months. I've been on subs almost as long. I've tapered from 12mg - 8mg in two weeks and have experienced symtpoms of withdrawal during that period. The physical symptoms have been uncomfortable but tolerable. This morning was the first time that I was sick enough that I considered puking might be a possibility. This past week has seen an increase in craving and obsessing. Other sub users indicate that they have no physical symptoms until tapering from 2mg (all I can say is "must be nice!")

Considering that you thought that you "could tell that something was coming", within 24 hours of being off sub might indicate that you may be one of the more sensitive ones. I experienced w/d symptoms when I missed an evening dose (only 17 hours). I was as sick then as I was this morning.

I wish that I had more information specific to your situation. Hopefully something in my experience will help you. My greatest reasons for starting sub was anxiety and craving. If fear of detoxing is your major motivation... IMHO, plug your nose and take the plunge. Wading into the waters of recovery with sub is not necessarily the best way to go.

Need to go and feed my family. I hope that this helps some.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

THX KIT ILL WRITE LATER, I want to keep in touch with you CHRISTIN, sounds like we have similar situations. I need to test the waters to see were the bottom is so, Im going to try 4 mg a day until it hurts. I know Im going to have cravings thats part of the cognitive as well as physical process. But I have gotten away from the supply of my DOC, I burned the bridge hard, for the purpose of my recovery. I just keep thinking Ive only been on this stuff 4 or 5 months and the longer Im on on it at any dose is going to make it worse.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
I need to test the waters to see were the bottom is so, Im going to try 4 mg a day until it hurts.
Jimba,

Why are "you" testing the waters at all? I've been doing that, my friend, and I think that it's a mistake. As I posted earlier, I'm hoping that I might have found a doctor who will TREAT me and not just DISPENSE to me because, regardless of the outcome of what I am doing, I'm still managing my own addiction and my drug intake. Those are the bahaviors of an addict.

It sounds to me as though you have a couple good legitimate medical options. Be patient until you can have a doctor on board with your plan. I know that it only makes sense that if an addict is DECREASING his dose that he's not acting like an addict. WRONG! That thing between our ears can be the most dangerous weapon our addiction uses to trap us. My advice might be a little different if you had no recourse to a doctor who would listen to you. Please... don't play with your dose. Testing the waters to see were the bottom is and going on 4 mg a day until it hurts does not sound like a typical treatment plan to me.

When you said that you burned your supply bridge... I applauded! Awesome!

Please, do the next right thing. A couple more days taking the Sub as prescribed will not make a huge difference. It's easy to fool ourselves into thinking that it's okay to take control of our prescriptions. But, we are not doctors. All we've really done is hang a stethescope from the neck of an addict.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good feedback that is what I should do. I want to have as much information for the Doctor as possible, and you are right I need to find the right help. I just seems sometimes like the Dr. is just that a dispensary and I need much more than that. Which you guys are providing.

I feel very lucky I found this post, likely in a live meeting diversity would muddle the process. Ill keep to the dose and invest in both Dr.s or more until I get what I need. Likely in a few days I wouldn't achieve that much anyhow for the Dr. Anyhow.

Thank You, I will check out your BLOG.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Jimba, I'm sorry I didnot see your post yesterday.

just your opinion what do you think time frame wise.
I think you should give your self all the time you need.You've been on sub for 5 months so one more month won't be that bad. Before you should start weaning down, you should stabalize on a certain dose . This will help you lead a normal life. With subutex/subuxone, the less the better. Try to find the minimum dose that helps you feel comfortable enough without starting wds. Please remember that we're a goldmine for the doctors who prescribe subutex.They would want you to stay as long as possible and on a high dose because they make money out of the that. My doctor told me that 12 mgs is enough for almost all addicts .He usually give 2 8s for the first week then he's cut it down to 12mgs. At high doses weaning down is very easy .You will feel little discomfort when you drop from 16 to 12 mgs.You may not even feel the difference. Then drop down 2mgs every 3 weeks till you're on 4 mgs then cut 1mg every 3weeks. For a reason I don't know, it's harder to wean down at doses less than 4mgs. The most importnat thing is not to rush to the taper. You have to give yourself enough time to stabalize every each dose cut. You're now feeling discomfort because you're on high doses. Good luck with your taper.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Tish, were you succesful with CTing the sub.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jane_668 View Post
For a reason I don't know, it's harder to wean down at doses less than 4mgs.
If you react to the Suboxone in textbook/pharmaceutical pamphlet manner, the reason is because 2-4mg is the ceiling effect of Sub. Someone stabilized on 4mg of Sub can, reportedly, be given 16mg of sub with no further opiate effect. That's why, unlike a Methadone user, a stabilized Sub user won't get high from abusing his stuff. Before being stabilized, a slight buzz can be had off of higher doses, but only to about as high as 24mg-32mg, over which you just get sick. (I advise you to just take my word on that one because, as I've said before, it's not a pleasant experience and it's a very, very, very minor buzz.)

I guess that I should add: therefore, going under the ceiling effect of 2mg-4mg, you start experiencing the loss of opiate and your brain reacts similarly to losing buprenorphine as it does to losing any other opioid, such as oxycodone. It's just that the addict is more successful tapering from it because if he ups his dose while tapering, he doesn't get high from it.

Jimba, if you want an answer to your question to Tish, you might want to visit her thread on the SA forum about being addicted to Subutex.

I hope you are doing well today.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just an update. These things are so subjective or even abstract. Trying to differentiate the difference between a physical craving or the beginning of one and a I feel a little nervous and why not pop a sub so I feel comfortable so I can watch a movie in a more comfortable way. That's part of why I want the sub out of my life I am ready to do the cognitive battle but I am nursing a physical addiction. I took 8mg today and want another one right now like the doc says. But Im fighting it.

Maybe Ill split the difference today. The other thing thats a trip is you don't really know what the results to your reduction will be for days due to the build up of the meds in your system.

Im still on target for the Dr. just venting.

Thank you all again for your help, I am going to spend some time reading your posts to see if I can find anymore helpful info.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

doing good on 8mg for 2 days. I know I said Id wait but tomorrow is the first day of doctordum and I should get straight then. At least I feel like I am putting effort towards my recovery. Ill update everyone with a new thread with details manana.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
doing good on 8mg for 2 days. I know I said Id wait but tomorrow is the first day of doctordum and I should get straight then. At least I feel like I am putting effort towards my recovery. Ill update everyone with a new thread with details manana.
Jimba,

I wish you all the best today. When you talk to your doctor (this is the quick detox option, right?), please bring to his attention that you have trouble not taking medical decisions into your own hands. I put in bold what screamed out to me: "addict behavior". How many times, I told myself that I would only take ten oxys today and I took thirteen, if I even bothered to continue counting once I went over ten. And the sentence that follows? Pure rationalization. I thank you for posting this because as I read it, it's like reading into a mirror.

A ways back in this thread, you said that you had the option of picking up your meds daily. If you elect to stay on Sub, PLEASE take this option. Also, I strongly suggest that you tell the doctor that you need to TAKE THE SUBOXONE with someone present in order to assure that you comply and not (as you put it) put "effort towards (your) recovery". Part of getting out of the addict mentality is keeping prescription adjustments out of your hands. I know how hard that is, ESPECIALLY when you're DECREASING your dose. I do it and I justify it and right now, even though I know that we should not do it, I have to fight the temptation to delete this because my head is saying, "Christin... but even YOU want to get off the Sub as soon as possible. It's GOOD if he wants to get it out of his life."

Well, Jimbo, I'm going to respond to that voice in my head and say, "If Jimbo wants it out of his life as quickly as possible, he needs to go inpatient." In my heart, Jimbo, I think that this is the best option for you. You don't seem to be overly freaked-out about withdrawal (which I'm not either ... unless it appears that it's going to last six months or more!). So, a quick detox with INTENSIVE SUPPORT afterward (IOP, 90 meetings/90 days, maybe even still meet with an addictions doctor if an option), appears as though it could be your best shot at getting clean. You seem to be standing strong in that "moment of clarity" where you truly desire to be clean and you have the WILLINGNESS to do what it takes. For many this is a fleeting moment. It is important that you act before it weakens.

I'll be looking for your new thread. If you decide to go inpatient, hopefully you can stay in touch with us like Scaredtostp did.

:praying I don't know if you're a person of prayer, but I am and I'm praying for you.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Christin, you're doing great. I'm so happy for you.

Jimba,detox is only the beginning.It may seem to you that's it's very hard but believe me staying sober/clean is the hardest part. The good thing in subutex is that it's not just to detox off your Doc.It also gives you enough stability to be able to live almost clean.ie , getting through life without self medicating. I though when I first detoxed off sub that I'm done with the hardest part.But now,54 days clean,I'm still struggling to differenciate between my needs and wants. To tell you the truth, I was feeling best when i was on 2mgs. I felt so normal without cravings. So if you chose to go back on sub, don't worry.You'll feel normal when you're not functioning on high doses. Keep us updated.We'll be supporting you.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm at lunch with my mom, so I gotta keep it short, But I love you guys, I feel very lucky for finding you. Ill let you allknow how it works out.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You know me and you don't even know me
Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

**Ok, so it's your 3rd or 4th day off suboxone, it's 4am in the morning, and you are on the computer trying to find a way to get off this **** that your doctor said would be SOOOO.... much easier to get off than opiates. You are really pissed because you are finding article after article that people are having a really hard time getting off this stuff and it seems that the withdrawals last even longer than opiates. A thought crosses your mind about kicking your doctors ***. Then you try and get some sleep. You lay their in bed or on the couch and about 1 minute later, this uncontrollable sensation sets off in your legs and you have to move it. Then again. Then again. Then you wake your wife up tossing and turning. Then she kicks you out of the bed. You try the couch but end up watching infomercials all freaking night...."You get it all for $19.95". Then it happens. You look out the window and you see the sun slowly creeping up on the horizon and you realize that you will be getting no sleep tonight.**

I've been there!! So many times. I can't count the number of times that i have. But this last time I tried something different. And it worked. I have been off for 2 months now and feel great and sleeping every night. I know, you want to know the secret. I will get to that in a second.

First, here are my qualifications.....I started taking hydrocodone about 10 years ago while working as a salesman at a car dealership. One of my friends...i mean co-workers gave me a Vicoden and told me that I would sell twice as many cars today. Well, he was right. I wanted to talk to everyone. I was in the best mood. I had tons of energy. Then I wanted more. So i did what a lot of us had done. I went to the doctor. Got 60 a month but that soon wasnt enough. So I took the next step and found the online pharmacies. BIG MISTAKE for me. Soon I had 5 (120 count of Norco's) RX's being shipped to me at work each month. I was taking anywhere from 10 to 18 a DAY. Yes a day. I got my liver checked each month at my doctor. This continued for 4 years. I wanted and kept chasing that energy that I had when I first took it. My wife would walk in the bathroom each morning to find me in the bottom of the shower asleep because I was so damn tired that I couldn't make my body get up. My 2 weeks of vacation each year turned into 2 weeks of trying (and failing) to get off. It was hopeless. Then I heard of a friend who got off by using suboxone. So i called my local Physc. Doc and made the appointment. Took my first suboxone and 20 minutes later felt like a million dollars. I had done it. I had gotten off Opiates. This was going to be a breeze!! If I had just know then, I could have strangled my doctor while I was there.....

OK...enough of me. You didn't come here to read about me. You want off the damn Suboxone. Here goes...

*1. Number one and most important of all. (This is where I messed up everytime except for the last time.) Miss your next 3 appointments with your doctor and get kicked out of the program. Why? Because when you run out of the suboxone you have left and you are on day 3 or 4 off, you will not be temped to call your doctor and tell him that you just cant make it and ask him for a refill. DON'T HAVE ANY LAYING AROUND THE HOUSE EITHER. Get rid of all of them. Your brain will do this amazing thing and actually help you through it alot easier because you know that there is no option of taking a pill. I would never have made it without doing this because I was just too weak to say no.

*2. On day 4 or 5 you will feel like ****. And I mean bad. This is usually a sign that things are about to turn around. I couldnt ever get past this part. I would always give in and take something. DONT!!!! Give it one more day!! Forget about all that **** you read about it taking 2 months to feel better. That is ******** and not true. You WILL feel better the next day. Keep telling yourself how good it will feel to be off this stuff and to not have to worry about taking a damn pill everyday.

*3. I know...you can't sleep. DON'T TAKE SLEEPING PILLS!!!! Don't go stealing your friends Lunesta or other sleeping pills. Trust me on this one! You will be miserable on the couch awake but unable to move. The most God awful feeling that I have ever had. Just face the fact that you are not going to get much sleep for a week. Take HOT baths. I took 4 or 5 a night. Drove my wife crazy too. If you are a guy, try jerking off as much as you can. I know, it sounds crazy, but it really did help me sleep.

*4. Call your other doctor and get some Requip. Your legs are going to drive you crazy for a week or 2. Restless leg syndrome is a *****. This is what I had the hardest time with but it does get better. Again, take hot baths. Try sleeping with hot patches or cold patches on your legs. This really worked for me. The cold worked better. In between my shoulder blades on my back really bothered me too and the cold patches worked there too. The Requip will help with all of this too.

*5. Dont go jumping off 8mg of Suboxone. I got down to 2mg a day for about 3 to 4 weeks and then jumped.

*6. Stop making excuses to fail. I did this with 2 kids at the house. Not to mention a 4 year old and a 1 year old. You can do it. Stop reading all the damn negative articles here on the internet. It is very rare to find someone who has beat the addiction to come back here on the internet and post a comment. They stay away from it because they are free now. Print this article and put it on your mirror and stay off the internet. If you are so damn weak, how do you have the energy to get on your pc and surf the internet. Never thought about that did you?

*7. Take a lot of Ibuprofen.

*8. There is going to be that day during the week, that you finally get a little sleep, and you wake up and you feel a little better. Go look in the mirror and pat yourself on the back. You will begin to tell yourself, "Damn, I CAN do this!" It's not bad after all. It just takes getting past that REALLY BAD DAY.

*9. Don't hide this from your family. You need the support. Trust me. Tell your wife to give you a break for about 2 weeks. Promise her it will be worth it because you are about to be a better person after all of this. You are going to feel like doing more with the family because you are not so worried about the damn addiction.

*10. If you don't know God, this will be a great opportunity to find him. Dont want to force that on anyone but just a thought.

*11. Try sitting in the sun for a little each day. It will be bright as **** because you have been locked up in the house all week, but it really does help your energy levels.

*12. Forget about all that **** about being depressed and wanting to kill yourself. I would have killed myself along time ago. I worked for General Motors and then lost my job, lost my house, lost my 2008 Tahoe LTZ, and cant get financed for a vehicle because of all of this. My son asks me everyday to go to Disney World and Sea World. I went from making $120,000 a year to making $0. Actually as strange as it seems, I feel better and happier off the suboxone even with all this going on because I beat a 10 year addiction.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! Do it for yourself and no other reason! If I forgot anything I will repost and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

God Bless and good luck!
FlappyD
Old 04-28-2009, 03:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Some French tart....

Hey Jimba!
How're ya doin?
Let us know how you are. Have you thought about going into detox?
Much love,

Tish xxx
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Only if I can come stay with you. I think I would do much better in France than LA. I wanna come to France and come see the La Moda architecture in Spain, and have wine and cheese, fresh bread and live on the river. Los Angeles is so dirty and the people are all in a dither trying to get a bigger BMW than the neighbor. Maybe its the same everywhere. I like simple and beautiful. Or out in the country. Oh take me in PLEASEEE!

I am actually doing great with my detox, I am going to see my doctor right now. I hope he is on board with what I have been doing and will support my plan.

I do want so bad to come and see you in France, so if you got a little room I can buy the one way tomorrow. LOL

Thanks for keeping up, I do appreciate it. You are one of my favorites.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Some French tart....

Back, as promised!! You've got a couple of other threads, but I'll stick to this one or I'll go haywire!
Hun, you're doing good, and if it'll do you good to come and detox in France, you're welcome ( but I have a ferocious partener!!), I shall come and bring you grapes every day!!
Where EXACTLY are you at with your detox? If I have understood, I think that you're on 4mg, now. Correct me if I'm wrong. Stay on at 4mg, until you feel really, really good, and then cut down again. If it's too tough, try Janies method. She speaks a lot of good sense. I have followed her all the way through, and she's got there today.

Have you been to any meetings? I'm not able to go as they are situated in Paris for the most part, but I'm sure that they would do you good and you could find the ally of a sponsor. I do so wish I could find one. The 12 steps make a lot of sense to me. They're not as easy as they sound, and I'm back on step one, but they are great guideline on how to live a 'straight' life. You don't have to believe in a God as such, I didn't at first, now I choose to call him Mister God, and we are friends. Bear suggested "Good Orderly Direction", standing for God.
Do you have someone to hold your pills? Unfortunately, I need that, as I am a great pill popper, if only for a headache. Take care of yourself. One of my favourite sayings is T.L.C. - Tender Loving Care, it's like being a wee baby again.

Today I'm feeling good, real good. I hope you are too. Thank you again for your PM. I hope to hear from you soon. Until then, lots of T.L.C. coming your way.

Much love,
Tish x
Old 05-01-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I like grapes fermented are best. Had a good day my body hasn't hurt for along time from physical work. I like it. I took 3 mg this morning not planing to taper today, but its evening now and I think Im going to skip the 4mg.

I want to see where you live can you send me some pics. Ill PM my address just curious.