My Story - CoF1984

Old 02-06-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Story - CoF1984

Well, I'll try to keep my story as brief as possible.

I've been around alcohol my whole life as alcoholism runs in my fathers side of the family and he drank heavily until the birth of my younger brother then he somehow managed to cut down to only three beers a day. How that is possible I do not know nor will I try to figure out being that is impossible for me. I have heard the stories that as a baby he'd put whiskey on my gums while teething or a "hot totty" was good to put a sick child to sleep quickly. Although I can not remember much of that so cannot attest to the truth of it.

I grew up with everything I needed and some of what I wanted in a very good household with two loving parents who would've done anything in the world for me if they could. I was forunate enough to be involved in various music programs and learning to play various instruments since middle school. But, I was definitely always very shy and insecure about myself and never sure why.

Always searching to find where I fit in and with whom I best fit in. I eventually fell into a crowd who seemed very confident and happy (Or so I thought). Was offered my first drink and from the first time I drank, I drank alcoholically. At first and for quite some time I would drink as often as possible feeling great and on top of the world every time I did. I have very few to almost no trouble with the law due to my drinking, but it eventually led to me chasing the first drink I ever had and the feeling of being confident and comfortable in my own skin and could never find it again no matter how much or often I drank. I just kept drinking more and more and feeling worse and worse.

Finally a year ago I had stumbled onto this site, lurking around, reading what others had to say about sobriety and recovery. I read posts from those who had a good time in sobriety and from what I read I wanted what they had. So I joined the site on my first 24 hours without a drink which was 2009FEB05. Posted some, recieved a lot of helpful advice and suggestions. One of which was trying a 12 step program or something face to face that was recovery related and had read many good things about AA. So the following week on 2009FEB10 I had attended my first AA meeting. I was definitely scared at first, shy, wasn't sure what to expect. But, it turns out to be the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Now with a year in sobriety and recovery I have a great sponsor, wonderful friends to share and make great memories with. And it all has taught me and will continue to teach me 12 principles and many tools I will be able to use and find helpful throughout the rest of my life. Through using these in my life to the best of my ability I have found a peace, serenity and sense of belonging I have always wanted my whole life and wouldn't trade what I have now for anything in the world. It has been a great experience. And I honestly believe I am a miracle of my Higher Power working in my life to help to stay on a great path of recovery. And it is proof enough to me that I can stay sober if I'm willing to do what is neccessary for me to do to stay sober. It is possible for anyone to enjoy a sober life that is happy, joyous and free.

I do hope my story is brief enough, adequate and a help to others. Thank you all for allowing me to share this and post here.

Wes