Notices

Isn't "could" the key word?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CatFry View Post
"Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity"

So whether or not someone belives in God, science, or AA or none of the above, Isn't this step more about the possibility then the definition?

I beleive in a higher power, but do not get along with it very well. As someone who is trying to begin step 2, I can't help but feel that possibility is the key. I do believe that a HP could restore me to sanity. I doubt that it will, but it is a posssibility.

I am completeely opening myself up to get chewed out by everyone. Please refrain from doing so. Thanks.
very good for ya seeing that. heres something i had to understand first:
i was insane. how did i see i was insane? by seeing how unmanagable my life was. on step 2, i was asked,"ya ever walk around sayin yer insane? ever have the thought ya may be insane? no? then ya proly were." yup, he was right.
so onto an HP. all i had to do was get openminded to believing there was something out there greater than me( and not me or another human) that could help me with all of my problems. but what was this HP gonna be for me?
what helped me? it was in bill's story. where ebby had visited bill and was talking about how he got sober. ebby said," i got religion." that screwed bill up a bit, but then ebby said,"why not use your own conception." ( to find out what happened after, read bills story)what a brilliant idea!
so what i did was change my percepton of an HP. mine was really screwed up. here was all this stuff happening in the world, so in my perception, this HP had a lot more to take care of and i had to take care of myself. welp, that didnt work too good. thats how i got to the doors of AA. so all i had to do was change my perception of an HP that had too much goin on to help me to a perception of one that would help me with all my problems.
if anyone is havin a hard time finding an HP that can help with their problems, use mine. my HP has huge shoulders.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think "could" is used in the context that God "is able to". Could and would if He were sought.

Sanity... Most Alcoholics I know have a problem with that:

Some don't think they have any "sanity" problems at all, that they are just fine.
Some (like me) knew they were so crazy that they couldn't fathom being restored.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post

Sanity... Most Alcoholics I know have a problem with that:

Some don't think they have any "sanity" problems at all, that they are just fine.
Some (like me) knew they were so crazy that they couldn't fathom being restored.
I agree that people bristle when the word "insanity" is introduced and tossed around. A cross between misunderstanding and ego causes that, in my opinion. Once it is explained that the idea that we cannot drink like others (and that by repeating the experiment of doing so over and over again with no change of result) and our thoughts and following actions don't come from sound, rational thoughts, then most people understand what it is. Most get put off by the word, and get hung up on their prejudice of it (sort of like the "God" word too )
Old 02-24-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Interesting, Db. I have felt that 'faking it' was a necessary skill sometimes required to 'push thru' and get the day done. I'm not sure about still feeling like I'm faking it nowadays though. I know you too have decades of sober time, and so I'm wondering if you could perhaps expand on your experiences.
Wow, I just saw this. This is the feeling you get when you work to may consecutive 60, 70, and 80 hour weeks and just go through the motions with prayer. More important, it hits me when I don't take the time to meditate. Funny, I'm just coming out of one of those funks again. Someday I'll learn.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)