Notices

Came To Believe

Old 08-18-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Came To Believe

I remember a couple of years before I came to AA, I was praying and asking God to help get me back to AA.

That night when I went to that first meeting, it was a cold winters night and me and my wife were going there to get in out of the cold and get a hot cup of coffee. Before we entered the doors I had told my wife, I wasn't going in to get clean and sober and straighten out my life. When it came time to give out the chips, I went up and got my 24hr chip. Held it in my hand and looked up and thanked God. God got me back to AA, a couple of years later than what I wanted but got me there just the same.

I grew up a Catholic and believed in a punishing God, so, to come with an idea of the God of your understanding helped me to come to believe in a God that has unconditional love, cares about me, no matter what and is not a punishing God at all.

At a meeting, I won a raffle for any book on the table and I picked up the book "Came To Believe." Reading this book let me know that people from all walks of life and beliefs and non-beliefs had come to some kind of an understanding. I knew I could do the same for myself. Not only that, but things that started happening in my life after that, that weren't coincidence, enhanced my belief in God.

I use to go to a Beginners Step Meeting that consisted of just the first three steps. One night at that meeting when we were on Step 2, and I'm still trying to understand how God of my understanding could restore me to sanity, I mean, I wasn't insane. Came time for an oldtimer to share and he asked the question, "Has the obsesssion to drink been lifted for today?" Of course I answered yes, to myself. Also knowing that the obsession had been lifted for days previous to that one. Now having some kind of understanding about being restored to sanity, I came to believe.

And when I got a Big Book Step Study sponsor to help direct me through the process of the steps, with a loving God, my understanding of the insanity of this disease was of better value to me.

So I came to believe that a Power greater than myself, could restore me to sanity.

Harry
Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for your uplifting message, I too found great insight in the 'Came to Believe' book. Recently I have been spending alot more time around 'old timers' and they are constantly reminding me to trust the H.P and that no matter where I thikn I should be I am exactly where God wants me to be

Old 08-26-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whew. Not my take on things. I am frequently not where God wants to be. It's up to me to get to the right place. Step 10 and 11 do that for me.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep MyselfSober, I was constantly reminded early in sobriety that I was exactly where I was suppose to be. There are many things that God did for me that I couldn't do for myself. And speaking about God getting me to some place, I give Him the credit for where I presently live. And I do believe that I am right where God wants me to be.

Trust, rely and depend on God.

Harry
Old 08-27-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup , I had a decision to make recently regarding money ( of which I have none ) and after several chats with members I did the right thing and decided to pay back this loan, seceretly though I was sickened as the person had told me not to bother and I was broke every week paying it .....then a mistake at the bank meant that the payments were stopped anyway, I came away feeling that a power greater than me had interveined on this one as if I am honest I wwas beginning to form a resentment at having to pay this back , then low and behold an hour later my boss decided to give me a raise and backdate it so that I now had plenty of money in my bank , I really see this as a result of what happens when you trust and know that no matter what God ( or HP ) will provide !