Notices

Day two on step one

Old 01-26-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day two on step one

I'm still trying to accept that I cannot drink. Since I am not a daily drinker and sometimes go a week without drinking, it's hard to feel confident because one day I just have the incredible urge to drink and even though I may not drink more than three glasses of wine, I can tell with every sip that this is not about enjoying wine, it is about a compulsion. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ibsenplays... Coming to accepting that fact is very tough. I think it's tough because this is a disease of the brain. So, we've got an addicted brain and we use that brain to reason why we can / can't have a drink.

All I can say is this disease is said to be progressive and that has been true to me as well. I used to be where you are now. I'd go 3 to 7 days between drinks, but when I had decided that it was "time". I literally almost had a entire body orgasm when I had those first two drinks. I used to drink 5 beers and be done, then it was 3 whiskey's and 2 beers, then 4 whiskey's, a shot, and a few beers. Then it moved on to adderhal, pint of vodka and 8 beers. Then to 3/4 fifth of whiskey, a few beers, and a xannax to "calm down". When I finally "threw in the towel" I could drink a fifth of whiskey, 6 beers, then finish the night off with a xannax. Seems like a lot huh? I remember when 5 beers was a lot.

The bottom line is, history suggests that if you are an alcoholic, your drinking will increase in volume and frequency. Only you can decide if you are an alcoholic or not. Ask yourself one question. You said that "sometimes" I can go a week without drinking. Honeslty, how many times in the past year have you literally gone one full week without drinking? If you find that it hasn't been many times, then you just proved how your own mind is lying to you about the severity of your drinking. My brain does that all the time. I used to tell my wife I "only drank a few times per week". Well guess what, that "few times" was 4 or 5. Never just two.

I wish you the best of luck. To me, I tell myself to drink is to die. I take it day by day. I don't get ahead of myself or project into the future. All I have it today and I pray for a daily repreave from drinking. God Bless.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

hi ibsenplays,

Originally Posted by ibsenplays View Post
Since I am not a daily drinker and sometimes go a week without drinking
Do you think that this means you cannot be alcoholic?

I can tell you there are many alcoholics who don't drink every day and can go days/weeks/months in between drinks.

I just wondered if you knew that.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

do you sometimes not intend to drink, and drink anyways?

Do you tell yourself it will be different this time but it ends up the same?

once you take a drink do you find yourself sometimes unable to stop?

Is your drinking unpredictable?

These are just some of the questions I had to ask myself in order to fully expereince step 1.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, I do know about binge alcoholics. I was sober for twelve years once and went to AA. My drinking is simply not as compulsive as it was then, I don't know why. But every time I wake up in the morning after drinking a half a bottle of wine the night before, I tell my self that I need to quit. My body does not like alcohol, it's my crazy mind that asks for it. Thank you so much for being here.