The Turtle’s Tank

Old 02-03-2024, 06:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My previous relapses were due to a lack of action. I understand some of the science of addiction, various treatment modalities, and personal therapy. That knowledge alone is good only if I act on it. How I act is a personal search for behaviors that will support my recovery.

I have a ritual of sorts that keeps me sober. Checking-in here to interact with my peer support/. Morning meditation and reading material that uplifts me. Noon emotional check time. A pause in the day to see what going on with the emotions I am experiencing. Evening gratitude practice and what CBT skills are needed if I'm having a hectic day. Most all my worries I make up in my head on the fly. AVRT CBT may have been found to be 'thought garbage' and needs to be in the dump.

Keep On Going
Old 02-04-2024, 08:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
quat

one summit , many paths
Old 02-04-2024, 01:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
AVRT CBT may have been found to be 'thought garbage' and needs to be in the dump.
Correction for clarification
Using AVRY CBT skills will find any of my "garbage thoughts" and I can dump them.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't even happened yet."
Anne Frank

And that is a wonderful sentiment to read first thing in the morning. Maintaining positivity is a cornerstone of my life. If I don't, then comes the drinking and the depression.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That is a wonderful sentiment, indeed, trachs.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"Never regret a day in your life: good days give happiness, bad days give experience, worst days give lessons, and best days give memories."

Author Unknown

Been a good day. Roasted a turkey breast for sandwich meat, pruned a leggy climbing rose, did laundry. Felt good all day 'cept for the knee. Ortho Monday for that.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't even happened yet."
Anne Frank

And that is a wonderful sentiment to read first thing in the morning. Maintaining positivity is a cornerstone of my life. If I don't, then comes the drinking and the depression.
That is a great thought! Sobriety has given me at least a bonus decade (so far!) that I wouldn't have likely had otherwise. Now I'm in my mid-fifties, and sometimes I get a feeling similar to the one when you're three quarters of the way through a wonderful book. You're enjoying reading it and want to see how the story ends but there's a little melancholy to it, knowing you'll soon be finishing it. Still, those last pages can be wonderful! My life is pretty good at the moment and it would be great if the best is still to come.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

The trip to the ortho place was good. They don't immediately want to replace my knee. Gave me instructions for exercise, looking for a new walking brace to alleviate the bone-on-bone pain and displacement. If I can get back to hiking, I'll be happy.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

With little fanfare, I made it through 30 days sober again. No serious cravings, no panics, very little anxiety. Been focused on my health. It's a good feeling.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well done on your 30 days trach—good to see you posting again!
Old 02-23-2024, 04:31 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

How you been, Hawkeye?
Old 02-23-2024, 04:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

belated congrats on 30 Trach

D
Old 02-23-2024, 06:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

How you been, Hawkeye?
Pretty good for the most part trach—I had my own serial relapse problem for years—sounds a bit like what you went through with long periods of sobriety but then thinking for some asinine reason I could magically moderate. Never stuck for long, so then I would suffer and quit again. And again. And again.

However, I finally got it together and quit for good as of 12/31/21. Spouse still drinks so that’s a problem, but I am done and managed to make it to retirement. Now beginning to think about what next. . .

I feel a sense of relief and daily gratitude to be free, though I will likely always remain cautious. Hubris and all. . .

Old 02-26-2024, 09:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. Don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space."

- Johnny Cash
Old 02-28-2024, 08:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

"You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. Don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space."

- Johnny Cash
Hi Trac. The Man In Black cool
Old 03-23-2024, 09:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey trach—haven’t seen much of you lately

What’s shakin’?

Old 03-23-2024, 12:12 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hi, Hawkeye. SSDD. Tryin' to stave off aging. I pop in daily to the Sober Bus thread.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

That’s the first thread I saw here on SR—I need to start riding the bus too if you don’t mind more company .

Staving off aging is kinda where I am too. Turning 60 this year and trying to turn back into a trail runner after sitting on my arse for several years. Definitely a work-in-progress.

I’m managing to get more ambulatory though quite slow. . . Maybe try a race this fall if all goes well, but will likely be back there with the sweep runners who make sure nobody gets left behind. Still, just getting out there in the backcountry is worth the effort-
Old 03-23-2024, 03:01 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yea, getting older ain't as easy as it's made out to be.

I count my accomplishments on the non-physical side these days. Can't run, heck hiking can be slow and painful. It's still nice to get out there.

I did a fuses audit on the car and recharged the AC today. Probably saved myself a few $100.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:32 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

That’s well done! I have few practical skills like mechanics and electrical which I deeply regret.

I mostly hike too so far with minimal running—lots of hills though to get some conditioning.

When I get home and sit down for an hour or so I’m often so sore I stagger out of the chair at first.

Getting to be AC weather here in a week or so—right now temp dropped to 45 F which feels “cold” since the weather has been so unseasonably warm. But I’d rather be cold than hot any day. Love 💗 that AC!