Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Got my book today Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction

Old 03-18-2017, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HFA

OK, got the book Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction

Is this something that should be read in page order, or is it more something to jump around and read whats effecting you right now?

The only other recovery book ive really used is SMART workbook. Ive read a few other recovery books, but non of them really seemed for me. Im looking forward to this one and hope it "hits home".
Old 03-18-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HFA View Post
Is this something that should be read in page order, or is it more something to jump around and read whats effecting you right now?
I would read the book in order, especially if you have had exposure to other addiction recovery paradigms. AVRT is a little different, and Part 1 has some introductory material, which explains some of the basics of AVRT. Part 2 is the AVRT 'book course', so that will be the good stuff, so to speak.

Part 3 has some material for family members, a section about using AVRT for gambling, and some material on the addiction recovery and treatment landscape in general, which may not interest someone who simply wants to solve their own problem.

Part 3 has a transcript of Trimpey talking about AVRT with Richard, on pages 274-291, which is definitely worth reading. I would try not to skip the exercises or questions at the end of each chapter, and I think it is probably better to read the book at a comfortable pace, than to skip sections in order to finish faster.

The book has a quick crash course on AVRT on page 33, but there is a free updated version of it at the Rational Recovery web site (rational.org), which I recommend reading, along with the lengthy multi-part AVRT discussion thread here in SC.

RR Part 1 :

There are other good, interesting threads on AVRT in secular connections besides the main one, though. Feel free to let us know what you think of the book, or to ask questions.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I read it I felt like he was talking directly to me! I could relate to pretty much all of it. I hope it's the same for you.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome, HFA. Please share your comments and questions about RRand AVRT, you will find a lot of support here for you. Best to you.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome HFA. Ultimately, AVRT was the key which handed me the power to solve my alcohol problem. After reading the book and related threads here in SC, I stopped drinking last September: finally, with great relief, I have freedom from addiction.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, HFA. Let us know what you think of the book. We're here to support you.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
HFA

Thru the first few chapters. So far is.....ok. Not exactly a page burner. Lots of basing on "standard" treatment stuff. I hope soon it stops that and get to some substance.
IM gonna stick with it and see it till the end.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

IM gonna stick with it and see it till the end.
Good news, HFA.

I found the following essential reading.

Part I: Chapters 4 and 5;
Part II: In its entirety (Chapters 6 - 16) "AVRT: The Book Course";
Part III: "The Case of Richard" pages 274 to 291.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thru the first few chapters. So far is.....ok. Not exactly a page burner. Lots of basing on "standard" treatment stuff. I hope soon it stops that and get to some substance.
I'm going to assume that beyond your addiction to alcohol, that you're generally a smart and successful individual in life, HFA, judging from your choice of handle ("High Functioning Alcoholic").

I would even wager that you're probably too smart to be asking if a paperback book needs to be read in order, or to only manage to read "a couple chapters" in the last two weeks.

Your Beast is reading along with you, though, and looking for loopholes. It has suggested that you should be entertained, and that the book should be a "page burner", so that you don't get bored. Rather clever, no?

For your sake, I hope that you don't actually buy into the Beastly idea that anyone owes you spoon-fed wisdom on AVRT, while also keeping you entertained along the way to boot.

Passivity and procrastination are part of addiction itself, and they help to sustain it. Simply put, dependency is part of your original problem, and you will have to overcome that mindset in order to beat this thing.

Feel free to post any questions if you ever get around to reading the book, though. AVRT discussion can always benefit others who want to get a grip.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes HFA, it's an instruction manual. I was going to say they are never big on excitement and action. But having thought on, after I read it, a couple of years ago, I was excited (that I could do something, there and then about my addiction) and I did take action!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yeah, I mean it's not Hemingway, but like GaryB1 said, it's a how-to manual. When I read the instructions on how to hook up my printer and get it running it was no page burner, but I was damned glad the instructions were precise and to the point and I got sh*t working like it was supposed to. Same with AVRT. It's not a design for living...it's a DIY instructional manual for quitters.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
HFA

I have read to the end of part two. I have to say I was not disappointed. At the end of part 2 where he congradulates you moving forward was quite emotional. Something had happened just a couple days ago to make me realize it was time to face the Beast and make my Big Plan. So the timing just hit me in the feels. I do have some questions but I'll look in past threads and start another thread if needed
Old 04-10-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great news, HFA. Folks here would be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Nice!