I heart SMART!

Old 11-17-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

For me Smart is ok, but not a long term self help group, spend about 6 months in the program and you do the same stuff over, I want my meeting facilitators to be in recovery and not trained counselors, when looking for alternatives to 12 step I found Smart, LifeRing, SOS, Rational Recovery, Women for Sobriety, imo they have all come up waaaaaaaaaay short for those that still struggle and are dying (literally) to find something other than 12 step approach, no disrespect intended, they all work, "Choice in Recovery", one shoe does not fit all
Old 11-17-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freestylebob View Post
For me Smart is ok, but not a long term self help group, spend about 6 months in the program and you do the same stuff over, I want my meeting facilitators to be in recovery and not trained counselors, when looking for alternatives to 12 step I found Smart, LifeRing, SOS, Rational Recovery, Women for Sobriety, imo they have all come up waaaaaaaaaay short for those that still struggle and are dying (literally) to find something other than 12 step approach, no disrespect intended, they all work, "Choice in Recovery", one shoe does not fit all
Hi Bob, do you feel you will have to attend meetings for the rest of your life? I'm just curious what your thoughts are regarding what needs to be done to obtain permanent sobriety are. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"Hi Bob, do you feel you will have to attend meetings for the rest of your life? I'm just curious what your thoughts are regarding what needs to be done to obtain permanent sobriety are. Thanks."

No I do not believe you have to attend meetings for the rest of your life, some ppl go to meetings everyday only to drink/use again. For permanent sobriety DDNMW (don't drink/drug no matter what) works 100% of the time. Everyone is different for staying stopped, everything can work and everything can fail, just never give up, Bob O not an alcoholic, recovered.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi James

I would not be worrying about going to meetings the rest of your life. Congrats on the sober time so far, just keep an eye on the bouncing sober ball. I always found it easy to stop drinking, the work is staying stopped, just go to bed sober and do it again and again, you have the power to stay stopped, take credit for your sober time.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm learning all I can about SMART because I plan to start it, also! I'm excited, and I like what I've learned. Gotta try a new approach again. Tried a lot of things, but this recovery solution sounds very smart!! No pun intended.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good for you Angtoofish, Southern ca. needs more choice in recovery. Check out the LifeRing meeting in Costa Mesa, lifering.org, SOS in Hollyweird, sossobriety.org and FSR, freestylerecovery.org as well